The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

DougDolde

I have the option buy a lead Aptus 75 with a Mamiya 645 body and three lenses, 40mm 80mm and another for 1.2k usd. It has never been used. Is this a good deal and how would it fare against my D850?
I had an Aptus 75S years ago on a Contax 645. It was pretty good but
I think my D850 is far superior in terms of things like dynamic range, long exposure capability, and of course resolution. The Aptus is only 33 megapixels.

But sure it's a good deal

steve_cor

I have the option buy a lead Aptus 75 with a Mamiya 645 body and three lenses, 40mm 80mm and another for 1.2k usd. It has never been used. Is this a good deal and how would it fare against my D850?
The Leaf Aptus is primarily only good at ISO 50 and 100. Too much noise at ISO 200 for most images.

This camera does not have image stabilization, multiple frames per second, multiple autofocus points, high ISO, and TTL flash metering.

You tend to get slow shutter speeds. Then the mirror slap will vibrate the camera and blur the image.

When you start using mirror lock-up, self timer, and tripod, you will start getting sharp images. Then you feel that you have accomplished something, because it is a challenge.

Maybe it's better to have a challenge. When a camera does everything for you automatically, it's not much fun, and you may lose interest.

steve.

Fredrick

Thand you both for your thoughts!

Steve, I actually used an 8x10 film camera exclusively for 2 years, with Ilford Delta rated at IE50. Those considerations are thus not foreign to me. The reason I’m interested in getting a medium format is due to the lovely look of the bigger sensor. But I also realise that it will become a money drain. I’d want a technical camera and lenses as well.

We shall have to see.

dave.gt

Thand you both for your thoughts!

Steve, I actually used an 8x10 film camera exclusively for 2 years, with Ilford Delta rated at IE50. Those considerations are thus not foreign to me. The reason I’m interested in getting a medium format is due to the lovely look of the bigger sensor. But I also realise that it will become a money drain. I’d want a technical camera and lenses as well.

We shall have to see.
Money drain? Nah, it is merely the transaction required to allow your soul to express itself. Dante would love it, too!:)

I was just thinking about how many times in the last two years I actually used anything higher than 100 ISO. Very little since I graduated from the Leica mantra of TriX shooting. For some reason I am not using it much anymore.

H5D > 90% of the time using 100 ISO
D850 = always 64 or 100 so far.
All of my 35/120 color film = always 100 ISO, or less.
Most of my black and white is 100 ISO.
Leica X1 > 90% of the time using 100 ISO

Astrophotography is changing that because it requires high ISO, but realistically, it is only a small fraction of my shooting overall.

Wound I love a fat pixel back? Oh, yeah!:):):)

dave.gt

Heads up!!!

In case you might have missed it, Steve Hendrix with Capture Integration has an interesting article on Fat Pixel Digital Backs posted here:

https://captureintegration.com/fat-magic-pixie-dust/

:grin:

It is complete with downloadable files for you to process. I cannot open the EIP files with PS or LR, so I will leave it to you guys who can manipulate the files as you normally would with your own workflow.

It is my own impressions after studying the Fat Pixel images posted here and elsewhere that there is something there and that something really does have something to do with the malleability of the files. Presently, I am shooting with a variety of digital cameras and each one is different in the way I can manipulate the files. For me, I am no SOOC photographer and I make no excuses for the manipulation of files as part of my self expression. Whatever camera (like the H5D-50c) I use gives me a file that is different, than, say, the D850 which I have been using for several months. Both files only give me so much and I take what they give me... in other words, I cannot make the same shot with both cameras and walk away with similar looking images. It is amazing to me how different those camera files really are and the processed results are quite different, too!

And so it is, I suspect, with the 9 micron files.

Interestingly, over the years, I have used "fat pixel Nikons" like the D2 series. Even the D700 is a "chubby" pixel Nikon. And, yes, those files render differently than the D800-D850 files. I have some awesome images from the D2H and D2x cameras I used just 10 years ago... they are certainly different than the current D850 I am using now. Please notice that I am not saying that the D850 images are "better" than the images made over a decade ago... there is more to a good image than simply so-called digital IQ, at least in my opinion. After all, I shoot film, a lot.:loco:

It occurs to me that contemporary software like PS, LR and C1 are superior to the early software I used before and I would like to find time to bring those images out of archives and work with them to see if there are any differences there, as well.

So, with my inability to process Steve's files, I await YOUR results and I hope you will post them soon.

Thank you, Steve, for the work you put into examining the Fat Pixel Phenomenon.:thumbs:

Gerd

Dave - .eip data is in reality .zip archives that include RAW and metadata.

If you rename the .eip file in .zip and unpack it into a directory, then you come to the original .iiq RAW data. You can open these .iiq files in ACR and LR without any problems.

Greeting Gerd

dave.gt

Dave - .eip data is in reality .zip archives that include RAW and metadata.

If you rename the .eip file in .zip and unpack it into a directory, then you come to the original .iiq RAW data. You can open these .iiq files in ACR and LR without any problems.

Greeting Gerd
Thanks, Gerd!:thumbup:

Learn something new everyday! ... LOL... I won't even bother asking why such a file exists... to me, it simply doesn't matter!:)

The important thing is taking the time to see what those files Steve posted will actually give the artist who is working within the constraints of the digital files that are actual images. I will find some time soon, hopefully, after I finish my current project and before I return to the much larger project that needs to be completed by June.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks, Gerd!:thumbup:

Learn something new everyday! ... LOL... I won't even bother asking why such a file exists... to me, it simply doesn't matter!:)

The important thing is taking the time to see what those files Steve posted will actually give the artist who is working within the constraints of the digital files that are actual images. I will find some time soon, hopefully, after I finish my current project and before I return to the much larger project that needs to be completed by June.

Dave, you can of course download a 30 day trial of Capture One, and then you would have a more accurate basis for what I was seeing in the testing.

https://captureintegration.com/download-archive/

Thanks,
Steve

rcarver

Just found this forum and thread. It's great to see so much interest and success with this old gear.

I've been using Hasselblad 500 c/m with P25 for about 6 years now, so thought I'd share an image. I recently printed this 30x40" on Hannemuhle Photo Rag and it turned out fantastic.

Searching-08.jpg

pegelli

Am I the only one who has no idea what the previous two posts are about?:loco:
I can't answer your question but both Joel and I think the recent posts from new member "ukclippingpath" don't make much sense to us and at least miss context and are posted in the wrong thread. Or they are posted by some kind of spam-bot.

In cases where this happens it's usually better to "report" the post to mod/admin and not react in the thread, but that's probably my personal preference being an administrator of another forum, where this saves us a lot of work since as admin/mod you don't have to scan all new posts but can rely on a post report coming in for shady new entries.

dave.gt

I can't answer your question but both Joel and I think the recent posts from new member "ukclippingpath" don't make much sense to us and at least miss context and are posted in the wrong thread. Or they are posted by some kind of spam-bot.

In cases where this happens it's usually better to "report" the post to mod/admin and not react in the thread, but that's probably my personal preference being an administrator of another forum, where this saves us a lot of work since as admin/mod you don't have to scan all new posts but can rely on a post report coming in for shady new entries.
Done. Thanks!:thumbup: