The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD camera with firmware higher 1.10 - has it anybody...?

weinlamm

I have a ZD camera with an older firmware (1.00). I found an article, that there is a newer firmware:
GEAR TALK - LIFE WITH A MAMIYA ZD 1.10

Mamiya germany told me, that there is a new version 1.12. But the update could only made there and it costs 280 Euro + tax + shipping. :rolleyes:

I had "some problems" with the tonal range / dynamic range of the camera. It's a wonderful camera for good weather - but in the winter-time it's not very fine. If I shoot landscape the pictures are ok - but in the shadows there is much grain.

I know pictures out of a DM22 or Leaf Aptus II-7 ( this should be a DM33 ) - they are much better. And for what I know, the DM22-sensor is nearly the same as the sensor in my ZD.

So I wanted to know, if perhaps a newer firmware can help my ZD. :rolleyes:
If anyone knows anything or has a newer firmware on his ZD - thanks a lot for helping!

Here is an example:

100% crop:

This makes the newer DM22 much better ( sorry; I had no example this time ). And perhaps the newer firmware can help.
Or is the only reason for the different 16bit vs. 14bit on the ZD?

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Mamiya ZD camera with firmware bigger 1.10 - has it anybody...?

The sensor in your ZD is not "a similar size" - it is in fact the exact same sensor as in a dm22.

The quality of that sensor is really very good, especially for its time. But alas you need more than a good sensor to consistently achieve high quality images.

The number of bits in the a/d converter is an over simplified way of looking at the difference. But it is fair to say that all the supporting electronics, firmware, and hardware choices are of higher quality on the other 22mp backs.

I'd suggest trading it in towards a p25+, Aptus II 5, or other back. You'll find the perormance (both image quality and operation) far more consistent.

weinlamm

Re: Mamiya ZD camera with firmware bigger 1.10 - has it anybody...?

The sensor in your ZD is not "a similar size" - it is in fact the exact same sensor as in a dm22.

The quality of that sensor is really very good, especially for its time. But alas you need more than a good sensor to consistently achieve high quality images.

The number of bits in the a/d converter is an over simplified way of looking at the difference. But it is fair to say that all the supporting electronics, firmware, and hardware choices are of higher quality on the other 22mp backs.
Thanks for your statement.

You'll find the perormance (both image quality and operation) far more consistent.
Image quality - yes!
But I love my ZD(camera) very much. I think, this should stay here even if I get one day my dream-back P45+. I love the simple use like as an DSLR. Only one battery, one switch - put it on the tripod, turn it on, focus - Mup-button - and photo. No two kinds of battery, turning on camera and back themselfs and so on. It's a simple MF-camera, which works.

But for which price...? So I thought about if perhaps a firmware-update can help in image-quality - and not only in compatibility with AF-D-lenses ( this is written in the article above).
The thing is, that Mamiya-germany (they called themselfs as "Mamiya", but it's only a firm who makes the service in the name of Mamiya) can't tell me, what's everything better with the new firmware. They can tell me a price - but didn't guaranteeing anything... :eek:

Hasselboy

Camera includes 2 firmware
version 1.12 to only body camera-that is, there is no sense/ IMHO.
version 1.03 to sensor (as digital back).
firmware look Mamiya Digital PhotoStudio software.

Hasselboy

it helps me ? is why me?
I'm looking for instructions on replacing the IR filter.
my ZD body dont work- *Filtr busy* forever .

weinlamm

I thought you were going to answer my original question... :rolleyes:

If you need some informations, perhaps you open your own thread...? In replacing the IR-filter I actually can't help you. This is a thing where I have my own (but other) questions... :rolleyes:

weinlamm

Ok. Thanks.

It seems, that the dark parts look nearly the same with the newer firmware... Which firmware do you exactly have?

Hasselboy

I can not see version, do not have the Mamiya DPS.

Are you concerned about finding fleas on 100% сropp.
not the correct exposure, it is difficult to correct.
* C1 7 look.

shlomi

DM22 is Leaf Aptus II 5 with a Mamiya sticker - it is not made by Mamiya.

DM22 and ZD use the same sensor wafer, but completely different electronics, so the resulting image is not similar.

DM22 also has significant noise problems.
DM33 is a little better.
DM40 and DM56 are much better.
(All from Leaf)

If you like the ZD and plan to keep it, then you might want to upgrade the firmware - who knows, it might improve some things.

weinlamm

Yes; I want to keep the ZD. Handling is very nice; the poor man's S2. :D

But for my feeling the firmware-upgrade is very expensive. For me nearly a quarter of the price I payed for the camera... :eek: So I wanted to know, if this will bring me something, I don't have today. Only because of a feeling I wouldn't do that.

torger

Is it really that noisy? I don't think the example image looks that bad. Haven't looked much at ZD images, but some at Aptus 22 / DM 22, and they have quite good DR if you ask me. Sure, it's not a Nikon D800, or even a DM40, but I'd say that that extra DR is more about "forensic recovery" than real image-making.

weinlamm

I can't believe, that the pictures from a Leaf Aptus II-5 are so bad. Dan Lindberg had shown here some very good. And I know some pictures from a friend, who has this back, too.

And if you mean the examples in this thread - this are pictures from the Mamiya ZD.

weinlamm

Measured on the snow; this ist pefect/ok. The problem is the dynamics - it's too high for the sensor. And if you want to brighten the darks, you will get much of grain.
Or - and that is the question - perhaps it's not too high for the sensor and a new firmware could do a better job.

It's not a perfect sample, but one which I can use without problems. ;)