Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    .... but I bet ya - they come out with a mini ipad holder you can put in the hot shoe - similar to to iphone holder ....

Phil
    "They?" His name is John Milich. And he's family here.

Post Thanks / Like

here is a worthwhile link:

Phase One goes WiFi on Vimeo
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doug,

Any idea if the backs can support multiple WiFi feeds? It would be pretty damn awesome if client, stylist & I could all be working off separate iPads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my old hassy h3d-39 feels more and more antiquated ...

this new iq260 would suit my arca very well.

but why would anyone want to preview the files on an iphone?
    the screen of the back is almost equal.
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish that all clients had the decency to always, no matter what, assign me to black & white photography....

If I was a hobbyist I would not hesitate for a split second - the achromatic would be my companion. Oooh yes!
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I really wish that all clients had the decency to always, no matter what, assign me to black & white photography....

If I was a hobbyist I would not hesitate for a split second - the achromatic would be my companion. Oooh yes!
    Dan, your BW conversions blow me away, cannot imaging what you could do with a Achro back. Maybe time upgrade that Aptus 5....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    "They?" His name is John Milich. And he's family here.
    Oh I did not know that - thanks. Any link to see it?
    Thanks
    Phil

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Any idea if the backs can support multiple WiFi feeds? It would be pretty damn awesome if client, stylist & I could all be working off separate iPads.
    At launch: one device only.

Thereafter they hope to tweak firmware/software to maybe get a second device which may or may not have the full capabilities of the first device (e.g. maybe a second device can show you full frame but not zoom to 100%).

I'd proceed assuming it will always only work with one device, and consider any improvement beyond that to be icing on the cake.

If you're in-studio, with a large team production going, I think the tethered version of Capture Pilot will still be the best option. That gives you one or two monitors at the tether station, and the ability to have a few iPads roaming around in addition.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photomgraphy View Post
    my old hassy h3d-39 feels more and more antiquated ...

this new iq260 would suit my arca very well.

but why would anyone want to preview the files on an iphone?
    the screen of the back is almost equal.
    The screen on the back is quite good. There are several use cases for an iOS review:
    - somebody other than the photographer wants to review the image without stopping the shoot or being directly over-the-shoulder (art director, stylist, assistant, etc)
    - the want/need larger image (especially with iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPad)
    - when the camera is mounted too high, too low, up against a wall, mounted overhead etc and the camera LCD is not convenient to view

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you miss the long exposure mode of the color IQ260? Long exposure can be quite useful for artistic purposes... but the standard 2 minutes is maybe enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Link to jlm iPhone holder: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/403293-post53.html

The entire thread shows the evolution of the device, but the latest version is at post 53 et seq.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Dan, your BW conversions blow me away, cannot imaging what you could do with a Achro back. Maybe time upgrade that Aptus 5....
    Jagsiva, thanks It is very true that since the entrence of the Credo 60 my Aptus 5 hasn't seen much love. But the truth is that the Aptus 5 is a great back and I still value it. Besides that I get more dots with the Credo, there is also considerably more DR. As to upgrading the Aptus 5 to an Achromatic.....well... I guess there would not be a huge difference of giving it up or not...

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Wouldn't you miss the long exposure mode of the color IQ260? Long exposure can be quite useful for artistic purposes... but the standard 2 minutes is maybe enough?
    The long exposure feature is nothing less than fantastic and if anything, that would be the single factor to consider that back instead. But I think the Achromatic would win in the end....I just love the concept.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

Our friends from Denmark already knows that you will buy multiple MFDBs. Hence while you capture dark frame for another hour from MFDB # 1, you can start shooting your next frame with MFDB # 2.

Subrata

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Sigh

Hmm, maybe I should just pay for a night / extreme exposure / light painting photography workshop for one of the phase engineers/product managers so that can understand why this is such a big deal to some of us.

Tonight I was shooting the Racetrack in Death Valley using light painting on the rocks & tracks and another set up shooting star trails. I'd love to be using my MF gear but I can only do this effectively with my loathesome Nikons. (Actually they're not really loathesome, it's just that I'd rather be shooting 4x5 ratio with my DF or Alpa vs using a different system just for this). Make LENR an option - heck make it a three finger convoluted key sequence to enable/disable you want, but I'd trade off post process NR with a dedicated dark frame (like LCC really) vs having to wait between shots.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    The screen on the back is quite good. There are several use cases for an iOS review:
    - somebody other than the photographer wants to review the image without stopping the shoot or being directly over-the-shoulder (art director, stylist, assistant, etc)
    - the want/need larger image (especially with iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPad)
    - when the camera is mounted too high, too low, up against a wall, mounted overhead etc and the camera LCD is not convenient to view
    Doug, I am curious about the quality of the IPAD image from the back. I assume that the IPAD pulls up a JPEG from the camera. What is the size of the JPEG and how does the quality of that JPEG on the IPAD screen at 100%compare to a tethered 100% view on a monitor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was using the Achromatic + (45+) for some weeks in 2010 and if the 260 Achromatic is in the same league or even better (which I don´t doubt about) then this will define new hights of BW imaging.
    The 39Mpix of the old one were already something like a 4/5" so the new one should reach into 5/7" territory.
    And this as an IR or UV or even multispectral (with filters or lighting).

Drool...........

I need to find a bank to rob easily...........
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    Graham,

Our friends from Denmark already knows that you will buy multiple MFDBs. Hence while you capture dark frame for another hour from MFDB # 1, you can start shooting your next frame with MFDB # 2.

Subrata
    I wish ... With the Nikons you're definitely right though.

I'll be very interested in seeing the results with the IQ260, particularly the wifi live view when they've finished it. That's more interesting to me than the general wifi tethering - although that's a nice review feature too.

It's all about cost benefit though. As nice as the IQ260 looks, if it costs the equivalent of a P45+ to cross grade, well maybe the P45+ & IQ160 is a better combo? Things to think about. I'd just like to have one MFDB and tech/dslr combo outfit that is versatile enough to use for all of my particular shooting situations.

It does look awfully close to being a goldilocks digital back, even given enforced LENR although that does restrict me for time sensitive image stacks.

I'd love to hear/see whether high ISO, even in sensor+, performs. Cleaner ISO 3200 would be a big plus point.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still do not understand why the Darkshot cannot be switched off by choice.
    I also believe there are other choices now to do the noise calibration afterwards, I think I had linked these articles from astronomy about 1-2 years ago. And if there is really a hit by quality loss it should be chosen by the user if needed anyway.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Doug, I am curious about the quality of the IPAD image from the back. I assume that the IPAD pulls up a JPEG from the camera. What is the size of the JPEG and how does the quality of that JPEG on the IPAD screen at 100%compare to a tethered 100% view on a monitor?
    Quality of display on the iPad is the same as the back of the camera. Which means (for those who have seen an IQ back) nearly identical (possibly even a bit better) than a standard laptop display, and not that far from a dedicated Eizo.

One big exception: at high ISO the rudimentary noise reduction that is possible in the digital back (in a timely manner) is not the same as the full-set of noise reduction math applied when you run it through Capture One v7. Which means at higher ISO the image doesn't look as good on the iPad and camera LCD compared to the view in Capture One on a computer.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 5th March 2013 at 13:32.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although at high ISO on the LCD on the IQ back is not bad at all.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This 260 sounds pretty dang interesting. Like to get my hands on one and give it a spin.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quality of display on the iPad is the same as the back of the camera. Which means (for those who have seen an IQ back) nearly identical (possibly even a bit better) than a standard laptop display, and not that far from a dedicated Eizo.
    Hmm. I have an IQ180, I have an Eizo CG275W, I have an iPad.

I'm intrigued by your statement.

You say that the quality of the display on an iPad is the same as that on the back, and therefore, "not far from" an Eizo. Implying, that the screen on the back is "not far from" an Eizo.

I'd love to see an objective, empirical, comparison between the quality of the display on an IQ back, and that on a Eizo. Got a link?

/cynical hat off

These new backs have plenty of impressive features that raise them above both the competition, and their predecessors. I'm not sure you're doing them any favours by making such claims. Why not just concentrate on the facts?

(For reference - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ay,3157-2.html claims that the iPad retina screen covers 66.1% of AdobeRGB1998. Here, http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...75w/index.html , Eizo claim 97%. I couldn't find anything for the IQ screens...)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regarding absolute color accuracy and color gamut there is no question the eizo will win, hands down, by a country mile.

We have three eizos at the office for just this reason.

I'm sorry for not being more specific, but I meant "regarding the ability to judge the image during capture" during which I consider tonality, judging exposure, relative color, and focus to be the critical parts of the process.

When it comes to making final tweaks to color, preparing to print, or other color intensive work I would never imagine using an iScreen over an Eizo. That would be silly.

For judging the image at time of capture as outlined above the eizo is still a better performer, but I'd stick behind my assessment that the LCD/iPad is "not that far" from the eizo.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding absolute color accuracy and color gamut there is no question the eizo will win, hands down, by a country mile.

We have three eizos at the office for just this reason.

I'm sorry for not being more specific, but I meant "regarding the ability to judge the image during capture" during which I consider tonality, judging exposure, relative color, and focus to be the critical parts of the process.

When it comes to making final tweaks to color, preparing to print, or other color intensive work I would never imagine using an iScreen over an Eizo. That would be silly.

For judging the image at time of capture as outlined above the eizo is still a better performer, but I'd stick behind my assessment that the LCD/iPad is "not that far" from the eizo.
    OK, makes a lot more sense now, but...

The sheer size of the iPad screen (and indeed, its brightness) will make a huge difference over the screen on the back for judging whether you nailed the shot or not. iPhone vs back display, maybe not so much. But iPad? It's going to be significant.

Maybe it's just coming across wrong, but I think you need to be highlighting the massive benefits of the iPad screen over the one on the back, not say that they're the same.

For what I shoot (95% of the time, focus on infinity and forget), and given the relatively poor trade-in on the IQ180, the IQ280 is probably not worth it - I'd rather spend the money on new glass - but I'd LOVE to have the wifi capability.

For anyone shooting in a studio or with a whole team of people, I would imagine the upgrade will be a no-brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug - are the IQ160 and IQ180 being discontinued? I assume the IQ140 will stay at the "low" end.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf. We all know damn well its going to filter over in that direction as well. Roadmaps, rumors,innuendo, speculation or just let's all take a stab at it what's up there sleeve. Hassy has to be wetting its pants about now. Okay wise *** had to say it. Flame suit on.

But seriously they need to get there game on they now been wet on twice now with backs with not even a firmware update.

Geez I'm in trouble now. I'm supposed to be objective here. But I don't really want them taking a bath either as a company or as competition either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The plan is that Live View will come to Capture Pilot, but this will not be ready for the launch.

For clarity, at launch they will have live preview working, and wifi working, but not the ability to do live preview over wifi. That will come later (as a free update).

And the quality of live preview will be the same as in the IQ1. So on a sunny beach mid-day you'll need ND filters to get a good live preview.
    Thank you for clearing that up, wondering if the live view upgrade is a Capture Pilot or IQ upgrade?

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 5th March 2013 at 16:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How difficult it is to give an option about LENR? Still Phase One can do it via firmware upgrade (my best guess). Hope they will get it one day.

Cost benefit wise, IQ260 is better option as compared to P45+ & IQ160 though. You don't have LENR in neither of the backs, however you have added advantage of Live View on iPad (when released).

I will be waiting for a demo. Hope to have a local event in SF.

Ken & Don did "CI in Carmel" too early. Isn't it?

I wish ... With the Nikons you're definitely right though.

I'll be very interested in seeing the results with the IQ260, particularly the wifi live view when they've finished it. That's more interesting to me than the general wifi tethering - although that's a nice review feature too.

It's all about cost benefit though. As nice as the IQ260 looks, if it costs the equivalent of a P45+ to cross grade, well maybe the P45+ & IQ160 is a better combo? Things to think about. I'd just like to have one MFDB and tech/dslr combo outfit that is versatile enough to use for all of my particular shooting situations.

It does look awfully close to being a goldilocks digital back, even given enforced LENR although that does restrict me for time sensitive image stacks.

I'd love to hear/see whether high ISO, even in sensor+, performs. Cleaner ISO 3200 would be a big plus point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf.
    IMO, the Credo backs lack quite a bit feature-wise compared to the IQs. But, I am still not willing to part with my Credo 80 + Hy6 combo, unless Phase comes out with a suitable replacement for that system. And even then... well... it's been two years now, and I'm pretty far along in investing in the extremely good Schneider glass, so they would also need a x-mounting solution.

And a 6x6 film back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf. We all know damn well its going to filter over in that direction as well. Roadmaps, rumors,innuendo, speculation or just let's all take a stab at it what's up there sleeve. Hassy has to be wetting its pants about now. Okay wise *** had to say it. Flame suit on.

But seriously they need to get there game on they now been wet on twice now with backs with not even a firmware update.

Geez I'm in trouble now. I'm supposed to be objective here. But I don't really want them taking a bath either as a company or as competition either.
    Hassy will definitely have its place in the market as a (cheaper)-yet-almost-equally-capable alternative to Phase One. Not many, at least on this part of the planet, will say no to a H4D system. Sadly, I don't think it is the kind of market positioning that Victor Hasselblad himself would have liked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Doug - are the IQ160 and IQ180 being discontinued? I assume the IQ140 will stay at the "low" end.

Cheers, -Peter
    Peter,

The IQ1's have not been discontinued and will not be in any near future. They have dropped in price however to as follows:

IQ180 = $37,990
    IQ160 = $30,990
    IQ140 = $19,990

And this also means a drop in Credo:

Credo 80 = $33,995
    Credo 60 = $27,495
    Credo 40 = $15,495

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

As nice as the IQ260 looks, if it costs the equivalent of a P45+ to cross grade, well maybe the P45+ & IQ160 is a better combo? Things to think about. I'd just like to have one MFDB and tech/dslr combo outfit that is versatile enough to use for all of my particular shooting situations.

Graham,

Phase does have the ability to disable LENR. We had a large NASA contract with a possiblity of 50 DB's on each Hasse 500 that they had on the launch pad back in 2005. They sent us a firmware patch that disabled "forced dark noise calibration". A shuttle launch isn't something that you can say..."wait, I missed it, can we do over?" or "lets do that again but moved a little to the right". All they cared about was how many images can we get from T-Minus 10 until the shuttle was out of sight. So you see, if you are willing to put in an order for 50 units..... they will bend the rules for you a little here. Maybe we can get a few others here to agree and we can do a bulk order! Guy???

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    Graham,

Phase does have the ability to disable LENR. We had a large NASA contract with a possiblity of 50 DB's on each Hasse 500 that they had on the launch pad back in 2005. They sent us a firmware patch that disabled "forced dark noise calibration". A shuttle launch isn't something that you can say..."wait, I missed it, can we do over?" or "lets do that again but moved a little to the right". All they cared about was how many images can we get from T-Minus 10 until the shuttle was out of sight. So you see, if you are willing to put in an order for 50 units..... they will bend the rules for you a little here. Maybe we can get a few others here to agree and we can do a bulk order! Guy???
    To quote my father back then when I was much younger: Since you can't afford a car anyway, you might as well plan for that Ferrari.

Do those backs come in six-packs, I wonder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    Graham,

Note to self: need to ramp up the start up / IPO plans so that I can do a Howard Hughes (and Bruce Wayne in batman btw) and buy fifty to just get one ...
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 6th March 2013 at 03:18.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not seeing the outright prices and some upgrade data:

Anyone know (pre sales tax) what the cost of the Achro is? And anyone know the details of an IQ180>IQ260 upgrade and an IQ180 to an Achro upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as I know there is an SDK for the Backs and this is sold for 15k$ which also allows to do it. I just think this No Darkshot feature is so basic, it just belongs into the standard setup.

But somehow there is a concrete block against this by Phase and Leaf for years now. I am not 100 % sure, but if I remember right in the old DCB Capture versions on MacOS 7/8/9 this was an included option........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I am not seeing the outright prices and some upgrade data:

Anyone know (pre sales tax) what the cost of the Achro is? And anyone know the details of an IQ180>IQ260 upgrade and an IQ180 to an Achro upgrade?
    The USD price of the Achromatic is $44,990.

Çrossgrades of an IQ160>IQ260 or even IQ180>IQ260 can be worked out with your individual dealers. We all have an ability to make these happen but only a few will offer it.

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    Graham,

Subrata
    Exactly what we were doing in Iceland whilst producing the video... ;-)
    Last edited by timparkin; 6th March 2013 at 12:49.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like someone will have to dust off those tri-color photography skills. You just need an R, G, and B filter set for your clients and a little more post-processing to combine the three monochrome shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the filterwheels from DCB and Volare are sometimes still sold new on ebay !
    I have one hanging around from 18 years ago.

If only Capture one would support it, like the old Leaf Capture........

Image J64 supports multichannel color images, so one could even do 6 color or more channel highend repro.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if IQ280 have better Dynamic Range than IQ260 at the lowest ISO of each back. ...similar difference of IQ180 and IQ160?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Doug posted early on that the 280 is supposed to have a "smidgen" more DR.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious how the 280 has more DR than the 180 when it is the same sensor.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by studio347 View Post
    I'm wondering if IQ280 have better Dynamic Range than IQ260 at the lowest ISO of each back. ...similar difference of IQ180 and IQ160?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I think Doug posted early on that the 280 is supposed to have a "smidgen" more DR.
    yes, yes, and yes.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    I'm curious how the 280 has more DR than the 180 when it is the same sensor.
    Sensor design determines the the theoretical ceiling of performance. The supporting electronics, sensor implementation, firmware, all then determine how close to that ceiling the back actually achieves. By improving those elements

Of course it should be said that this is all so-far based on Phase One's comments. Only meaningful time with actual raw files can be relied on 100%. So stay tuned.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Anyone know what the... cost of the Achro is?
    Color

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gods, it looks like the IQ260 is what I have aim for. Now to rob a bank...

(Guy, can you lend me your ski mask?)
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color
    Well, that and UV/IR filtration too.

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Gods, it looks like the IQ260 is what I have aim for. Now to rob a bank...

(Guy, can you lend me your ski mask?)
    It's already spoken for. I'll send it along when I'm done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what the best part about knocking over a bank is right?

The money is tax free!

(sorry... I'm enduring quite a bit of tax pain after 2012's purchase spree )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My ski mask rental fees are based on a percentage. Go big or go home. Or worse . Lol

Post Thanks / Like

How long is the exposure at ISO50 on the IQ260?