The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know

gerald.d

Quality of display on the iPad is the same as the back of the camera. Which means (for those who have seen an IQ back) nearly identical (possibly even a bit better) than a standard laptop display, and not that far from a dedicated Eizo.
Hmm. I have an IQ180, I have an Eizo CG275W, I have an iPad.

I'm intrigued by your statement.

You say that the quality of the display on an iPad is the same as that on the back, and therefore, "not far from" an Eizo. Implying, that the screen on the back is "not far from" an Eizo.

I'd love to see an objective, empirical, comparison between the quality of the display on an IQ back, and that on a Eizo. Got a link?

/cynical hat off

These new backs have plenty of impressive features that raise them above both the competition, and their predecessors. I'm not sure you're doing them any favours by making such claims. Why not just concentrate on the facts?

(For reference - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-retina-display,3157-2.html claims that the iPad retina screen covers 66.1% of AdobeRGB1998. Here, http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg275w/index.html , Eizo claim 97%. I couldn't find anything for the IQ screens...)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Regarding absolute color accuracy and color gamut there is no question the eizo will win, hands down, by a country mile.

We have three eizos at the office for just this reason.

I'm sorry for not being more specific, but I meant "regarding the ability to judge the image during capture" during which I consider tonality, judging exposure, relative color, and focus to be the critical parts of the process.

When it comes to making final tweaks to color, preparing to print, or other color intensive work I would never imagine using an iScreen over an Eizo. That would be silly.

For judging the image at time of capture as outlined above the eizo is still a better performer, but I'd stick behind my assessment that the LCD/iPad is "not that far" from the eizo.

gerald.d

Regarding absolute color accuracy and color gamut there is no question the eizo will win, hands down, by a country mile.

We have three eizos at the office for just this reason.

I'm sorry for not being more specific, but I meant "regarding the ability to judge the image during capture" during which I consider tonality, judging exposure, relative color, and focus to be the critical parts of the process.

When it comes to making final tweaks to color, preparing to print, or other color intensive work I would never imagine using an iScreen over an Eizo. That would be silly.

For judging the image at time of capture as outlined above the eizo is still a better performer, but I'd stick behind my assessment that the LCD/iPad is "not that far" from the eizo.
OK, makes a lot more sense now, but...

The sheer size of the iPad screen (and indeed, its brightness) will make a huge difference over the screen on the back for judging whether you nailed the shot or not. iPhone vs back display, maybe not so much. But iPad? It's going to be significant.

Maybe it's just coming across wrong, but I think you need to be highlighting the massive benefits of the iPad screen over the one on the back, not say that they're the same.

For what I shoot (95% of the time, focus on infinity and forget), and given the relatively poor trade-in on the IQ180, the IQ280 is probably not worth it - I'd rather spend the money on new glass - but I'd LOVE to have the wifi capability.

For anyone shooting in a studio or with a whole team of people, I would imagine the upgrade will be a no-brainer.

PeterL

Doug - are the IQ160 and IQ180 being discontinued? I assume the IQ140 will stay at the "low" end.

Cheers, -Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf. We all know damn well its going to filter over in that direction as well. Roadmaps, rumors,innuendo, speculation or just let's all take a stab at it what's up there sleeve. Hassy has to be wetting its pants about now. Okay wise *** had to say it. Flame suit on.

But seriously they need to get there game on they now been wet on twice now with backs with not even a firmware update.

Geez I'm in trouble now. I'm supposed to be objective here. But I don't really want them taking a bath either as a company or as competition either.

alajuela

The plan is that Live View will come to Capture Pilot, but this will not be ready for the launch.

For clarity, at launch they will have live preview working, and wifi working, but not the ability to do live preview over wifi. That will come later (as a free update).

And the quality of live preview will be the same as in the IQ1. So on a sunny beach mid-day you'll need ND filters to get a good live preview.
Thank you for clearing that up, wondering if the live view upgrade is a Capture Pilot or IQ upgrade?

Phil

Last edited:
How difficult it is to give an option about LENR? Still Phase One can do it via firmware upgrade (my best guess). Hope they will get it one day.

Cost benefit wise, IQ260 is better option as compared to P45+ & IQ160 though. You don't have LENR in neither of the backs, however you have added advantage of Live View on iPad (when released).

I will be waiting for a demo. Hope to have a local event in SF.

Ken & Don did "CI in Carmel" too early. Isn't it? :)

I wish ... With the Nikons you're definitely right though.

I'll be very interested in seeing the results with the IQ260, particularly the wifi live view when they've finished it. That's more interesting to me than the general wifi tethering - although that's a nice review feature too.

It's all about cost benefit though. As nice as the IQ260 looks, if it costs the equivalent of a P45+ to cross grade, well maybe the P45+ & IQ160 is a better combo? Things to think about. I'd just like to have one MFDB and tech/dslr combo outfit that is versatile enough to use for all of my particular shooting situations.

It does look awfully close to being a goldilocks digital back, even given enforced LENR although that does restrict me for time sensitive image stacks.

I'd love to hear/see whether high ISO, even in sensor+, performs. Cleaner ISO 3200 would be a big plus point.

DeckardTrinity

Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf.
IMO, the Credo backs lack quite a bit feature-wise compared to the IQs. But, I am still not willing to part with my Credo 80 + Hy6 combo, unless Phase comes out with a suitable replacement for that system. And even then... well... it's been two years now, and I'm pretty far along in investing in the extremely good Schneider glass, so they would also need a x-mounting solution.

And a 6x6 film back. :ROTFL:

bythewei

Question I have which surprisingly has not surfaced yet. Okay Phase backs are first what about Leaf. We all know damn well its going to filter over in that direction as well. Roadmaps, rumors,innuendo, speculation or just let's all take a stab at it what's up there sleeve. Hassy has to be wetting its pants about now. Okay wise *** had to say it. Flame suit on.

But seriously they need to get there game on they now been wet on twice now with backs with not even a firmware update.

Geez I'm in trouble now. I'm supposed to be objective here. But I don't really want them taking a bath either as a company or as competition either.
Hassy will definitely have its place in the market as a (cheaper)-yet-almost-equally-capable alternative to Phase One. Not many, at least on this part of the planet, will say no to a H4D system. Sadly, I don't think it is the kind of market positioning that Victor Hasselblad himself would have liked.

Dave Gallagher

Doug - are the IQ160 and IQ180 being discontinued? I assume the IQ140 will stay at the "low" end.

Cheers, -Peter
Peter,

The IQ1's have not been discontinued and will not be in any near future. They have dropped in price however to as follows:

IQ180 = $37,990
IQ160 = $30,990
IQ140 = $19,990

And this also means a drop in Credo:

Credo 80 = $33,995
Credo 60 = $27,495
Credo 40 = $15,495

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off

Dave Gallagher

As nice as the IQ260 looks, if it costs the equivalent of a P45+ to cross grade, well maybe the P45+ & IQ160 is a better combo? Things to think about. I'd just like to have one MFDB and tech/dslr combo outfit that is versatile enough to use for all of my particular shooting situations.

It does look awfully close to being a goldilocks digital back, even given enforced LENR although that does restrict me for time sensitive image stacks.

I'd love to hear/see whether high ISO, even in sensor+, performs. Cleaner ISO 3200 would be a big plus point.
Graham,

Phase does have the ability to disable LENR. We had a large NASA contract with a possiblity of 50 DB's on each Hasse 500 that they had on the launch pad back in 2005. They sent us a firmware patch that disabled "forced dark noise calibration". A shuttle launch isn't something that you can say..."wait, I missed it, can we do over?" or "lets do that again but moved a little to the right". All they cared about was how many images can we get from T-Minus 10 until the shuttle was out of sight. So you see, if you are willing to put in an order for 50 units..... they will bend the rules for you a little here. Maybe we can get a few others here to agree and we can do a bulk order! Guy???

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Graham,

Phase does have the ability to disable LENR. We had a large NASA contract with a possiblity of 50 DB's on each Hasse 500 that they had on the launch pad back in 2005. They sent us a firmware patch that disabled "forced dark noise calibration". A shuttle launch isn't something that you can say..."wait, I missed it, can we do over?" or "lets do that again but moved a little to the right". All they cared about was how many images can we get from T-Minus 10 until the shuttle was out of sight. So you see, if you are willing to put in an order for 50 units..... they will bend the rules for you a little here. Maybe we can get a few others here to agree and we can do a bulk order! Guy???
To quote my father back then when I was much younger: Since you can't afford a car anyway, you might as well plan for that Ferrari.

Do those backs come in six-packs, I wonder :watch:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,

Note to self: need to ramp up the start up / IPO plans so that I can do a Howard Hughes (and Bruce Wayne in batman btw) and buy fifty to just get one ...

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am not seeing the outright prices and some upgrade data:

Anyone know (pre sales tax) what the cost of the Achro is? And anyone know the details of an IQ180>IQ260 upgrade and an IQ180 to an Achro upgrade?

Stefan Steib

As much as I know there is an SDK for the Backs and this is sold for 15k$ which also allows to do it. I just think this No Darkshot feature is so basic, it just belongs into the standard setup.

But somehow there is a concrete block against this by Phase and Leaf for years now. I am not 100 % sure, but if I remember right in the old DCB Capture versions on MacOS 7/8/9 this was an included option........

:confused:

Dave Gallagher

I am not seeing the outright prices and some upgrade data:

Anyone know (pre sales tax) what the cost of the Achro is? And anyone know the details of an IQ180>IQ260 upgrade and an IQ180 to an Achro upgrade?
The USD price of the Achromatic is $44,990.

Çrossgrades of an IQ160>IQ260 or even IQ180>IQ260 can be worked out with your individual dealers. We all have an ability to make these happen but only a few will offer it.

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off

timparkin

Graham,

Our friends from Denmark already knows that you will buy multiple MFDBs. Hence while you capture dark frame for another hour from MFDB # 1, you can start shooting your next frame with MFDB # 2.

Subrata
Exactly what we were doing in Iceland whilst producing the video... ;-)

Last edited:

Shashin

I really wish that all clients had the decency to always, no matter what, assign me to black & white photography....:cry:

If I was a hobbyist I would not hesitate for a split second - the achromatic would be my companion. Oooh yes!
It looks like someone will have to dust off those tri-color photography skills. You just need an R, G, and B filter set for your clients and a little more post-processing to combine the three monochrome shots.

Stefan Steib

the filterwheels from DCB and Volare are sometimes still sold new on ebay !
I have one hanging around from 18 years ago.

If only Capture one would support it, like the old Leaf Capture........

Image J64 supports multichannel color images, so one could even do 6 color or more channel highend repro.

Regards
Stefan

studio347

I'm wondering if IQ280 have better Dynamic Range than IQ260 at the lowest ISO of each back. ...similar difference of IQ180 and IQ160?