Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know

no mention of usb 3?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm about to post about USB3: only good news. Stand by...

Edit: Here is the link: Phase One USB3 for IQ1 in Final Testing, Beta Available

Summary:
    IQ1 USB3, long overdue, is now in final testing. IQ1 owners that are especially eager or have a strong need for USB can speak to their dealers to get the beta firmware.
    IQ2 USB3 will be enabled on Day 1.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fantastic... nice to see the Achromatic has been updated ..

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More data

Editor Note:
    Each of the three new systems announced today features high-speed wireless connectivity and 13 full f-stops of dynamic range
    More product images are available at: Phase One product images
    Press Release Follows:

Phase One Announces IQ2 Series Digital Camera Backs Pushes Image Quality Beyond Megapixels

COPENHAGEN, March 4, 2013 — Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform, medium format camera systems and solutions, today announced the Phase One IQ2 series: three new full-frame 645 format digital camera backs with high-speed wireless connectivity and 13 f-stops of dynamic range, plus new options to meet specific photographic goals. Building on the IQ digital back platform, the first choice of many of the world’s leading photographers, the technical advances in the Phase One IQ280, IQ260 and IQ260 Achromatic go beyond delivering ultra-high megapixel resolution to introduce greater mobility and workflow flexibility for professional photographers.

“Instead of trying to make our wireless connection a replacement for a wired file transfer, as others have done, our solution focuses on helping get the right image capture -- whether that means perfecting composition or focus, or simply easing the challenges of capturing a hard-to-reach image from a remote location,” said Jan H. Christiansen, marketing director, Phase One.

All IQ2 camera backs feature full-frame 645 format sensors designed collaboratively by Phase One and Teledyne Dalsa to deliver the world’s best image quality. In addition, Phase One IQ2 camera backs deliver a full 13 f-stops of dynamic range, which combined with meticulous calibration and careful hardware and software optimization ensures that the image quality is matched by no other camera.

-- The 80 megapixel IQ280 puts Wi-Fi in a new perspective, enabling remote image capture and viewing of huge 80 megapixel images on an iPad running Phase One’s Capture Pilot App. It represents the pinnacle of image quality. With an ISO as low as 35, no other camera or digital back can get better silk-like images.

-- The 60 megapixel IQ260 offers unparalleled capture versatility, with exposure ranges from 1/10000s to one hour with virtually noise-free images. The 60 megapixel sensor at the heart of the IQ260 is a unique 645 format full-frame device found only in this digital back. It offers the widest exposure range opportunities on the market coupled with phenomenal image quality. And both the IQ280 and IQ260 capture raw images at 16-bit color depth per channel, enabling reproduction of scenes with ultra-smooth transitions.

-- The Phase One IQ260 Achromatic is a dedicated image capture device designed to deliver the highest-quality pure black and white images. It fully shares the IQ2 series’ “unplugged” assets. At the core of this system is a 60-megapixel sensor with no color filter array mounted, which means that no interpolation is necessary. Each and every pixel of the sensor is focused purely on capturing the finest details of an image. This digital back comes with no mounted IR cut-off filter, and the IQ260 Achromatic is capable of capturing image in three light spectrums: infrared, visible and ultraviolet -- permitting photographers to experiment with a wide range of their choice of filters to create unique images for artistic and scientific purposes.

Capture Made Easy
    All IQ2 backs include built-in accelerometers, whose input helps align images perfectly at the moment of capture. An intuitive virtual horizon offers a precise visual indication of an image’s roll and pitch; that data is automatically stored with the images and can be automatically corrected in Capture One software after import.

Rugged Build
    IQ2 digital backs combine functional design with rugged build quality. Built of 100 percent aircraft grade aluminum, all electronic connectors and ports are protected with automatic retracting hatches or rubber covers to ensure that they work continuously even in the toughest shooting environments.

Capture One 7 Software
    Capture One 7 is built on the world's best raw processing engine and is included with all IQ2 backs, providing highly responsive precision tools to capture, organize, view, edit, share and print images for an efficient workflow and superior image quality results.

Availability and Pricing
    The Phase One IQ2 series camera backs are expected to be available in June 2013; they may be ordered now through Phase One professional photography partners worldwide: Phase One partner locator For a complete list of all the new Phase One IQ digital back features, including supported camera bodies, please see IQ2 series digital backs

Prices start at 29990 EUR / 39990 USD. Attractive upgrade offers are available for all existing Phase One photographers. For a demo of these new products, please sign up here: Test drive a Phase One camera system - sign up today

About Phase One
    Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com; or you can contact the team directly on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW and on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phase-...--------------
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, on the IQ260 what is the trade off in the long exposure mode - DR, noise, resolution?

The base ISO goes to 160 so is this some sort of sensor+, resolution reduction mode?

The IQ260 sounds like the ideal digital back and have no idea why anyone would want the IQ280 unless of some catch we have yet to discover.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can the Acromatic do the same long exposures as the 260?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love reading press releases in the morning :-).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Doug, on the IQ260 what is the trade off in the long exposure mode - DR, noise, resolution?

The base ISO goes to 140 so is this some sort of sensor+, resolution reduction mode?

The IQ260 sounds like the ideal digital back and have no idea why anyone would want the IQ280 unless of some catch we have yet to discover.
    Base ISO increases to 140 (I did make a typo on the other forum for a moment and misstated that base ISO at 160). No change in resolution. You get a 60mp clean long exposure.

There will be a slight reduction in dynamic range, but I think from the samples I've seen it's fair to characterize that reduction as going from crazy-high to very-high. This is due to the way long exposure has been implemented at the sensor/pixel-layout level.

This is not a IQ160 sensor with long exposure "tacked on" - it is a new sensor design built from the ground up to have this long-exposure mode. Considerable development and science was involved.

I'll be posting a technical article on the how-they-did-it of long exposure once I can complete my technical interviews with the R+D team and I've received/taken some raw files. Might be a few days; I have a feeling anyone I reach today in R+D may be a bit inebriated :-).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Can the Acromatic do the same long exposures as the 260?
    No. Only the Phase One IQ260 has the long exposure mode.

Though notably without any CFA filter or IR-cut filter you do get a significantly higher effective base ISO (the marked ISO sensitivities remain the same as the color model, but you'll get more exposure out of them depending on what lens filters you use - if any).
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 4th March 2013 at 07:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So finally a replacement for the P45+. That was overdue.

One crazy idea: does the Capture one Software allow the usage of Filter wheels ? I still have one from my Leaf DCB II Live that would probably make a nice couple with the 260 Achromatic.........

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    One crazy idea: does the Capture one Software allow the usage of Filter wheels ? I still have one from my Leaf DCB II Live that would probably make a nice couple with the 260 Achromatic.........
    It would make a nice couple with it. But you'd have to hand crank it, and use photoshop to composite them.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you keep the IQ260 powered for an hour?
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm reasonably certain I didn't get an IQ140 just for the upgrade to the next 60MP back. Reasonably....

So when do we see how the SK 35 XL works with the IQ260? Is it too early to start a thread? I always loved the SK 43 XL on the IQ160 anyway...

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I was struggling to find justification to move from my P65+ to the IQ160... I think I've got plenty reason now.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I just landed at 5:45AM from Dubai and was in the office an hour and a half later so, needless to say, I am a little fuzzy. Here is a little of the inside info from our meetings there in Dubai that you can't get from the specs.

Yes, they would have loved to have have have an 80mp sensor that excelled at an hour exposures. Unfortunately, the signal to noise ratio in the smaller pixel wells was working against them.

It is early today and even Phase One has their own tech info online that is not consistent. I strongly believe that the Achromatic has the same long exposure capabilities as the IQ260. We were led to believe this in Dubai, and the downloadable tech sheets also state this. We will get that sorted out today.

I have many clients that have been waiting for these long exposures that have never moved up from P45+. This is the back they those individuals have been waiting for. And as long as you have an iPhone that is wirelessly connected to your back while you are shooting, then the GPS metadata will be stored in your files. This is the second feature that many have been waiting for that I am excited to have available.

Please know that there are upgrades and crossgrades available for both these units. Pricing for the new units is on our website but simply, the new backs come in at the same price as their predecessors. This means that there have been price drops on the current backs as well, but they are not consistent across the board. Talk to your Phase One dealer to discuss these possibilities.

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Time to sell my D800E.. lol
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    It is early today and even Phase One has their own tech info online that is not consistent. I strongly believe that the Achromatic has the same long exposure capabilities as the IQ260. We were led to believe this in Dubai, and the downloadable tech sheets also state this. We will get that sorted out today.
    Don't you love launch day confusions?

I'm pretty sure the Achromatic lacks the "Long Exposure Mode" of the IQ260 and is limited to 2 min. The downloadable datasheets and online datasheets do not agree... I guess we both go double check and report back :-).

Edit: I've received confirmation that the Achromatic will be limited to 2 minutes. The downloadable datasheet was in error and has now been corrected. For those looking for long exposure in an IQ chassis the Phase One IQ260 is the only game in town.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 4th March 2013 at 07:08.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I'm reasonably certain I didn't get an IQ140 just for the upgrade to the next 60MP back. Reasonably....

So when do we see how the SK 35 XL works with the IQ260? Is it too early to start a thread? I always loved the SK 43 XL on the IQ160 anyway...
    IQ260 will behave essentially identically to an IQ160 regarding color cast, usable movements for any given lens, etc.

In other words it will make a lovely mate to the 43XL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I thought medium format was dead and D800 the new king

Peter

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post

Peter
    Geez should we delete all those threads now. Somebody please say yes. LOL

Too funny. Have fun shooting all week but I'm watching.

Oh anyone that does not want there MF gear because its dead . I'm alive and can keep it tuned up for ya. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have been inundated this morning with upgrade pricing requests so here are a quick few:

IQ180>IQ2180 = Available through your dealer

P65+>IQ2 280 = $17,500
    P45+>IQ2 280 = $26,800

P65+>IQ2 260 = Our price is set but are not allowed to publish it
    P45+>IQ2 260 = $22,500

Other significant changes:

P65+ New = $24,990
    P40+ New = $13,990

P65+ Pre-Owned = $17,990
    P40+ Pre-Owned = $9,990

Also, significantly, Lens pricing will be going up April 1st. Check with your dealer to see how much you will save buy buying before the price increase.

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, what about IQ160 > IQ260. Since you didn't mention it, I guess it is FREE upgrade! :-)

Subrata

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    I have been inundated this morning with upgrade pricing requests so here are a quick few:

IQ180>IQ2180 = Available through your dealer

P65+>IQ2 280 = $17,500
    P45+>IQ2 280 = $26,800

P65+>IQ2 260 = Our price is set but are not allowed to publish it
    P45+>IQ2 260 = $22,500

Other significant changes:

P65+ New = $24,990
    P40+ New = $13,990

P65+ Pre-Owned = $17,990
    P40+ Pre-Owned = $9,990

Also, significantly, Lens pricing will be going up April 1st. Check with your dealer to see how much you will save buy buying before the price increase.

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    Dave, what about IQ160 > IQ260. Since you didn't mention it, I guess it is FREE upgrade! :-)

Subrata
    Well, I would expect that those that spent their Valentine's Day Weekend with Dave Gallagher get a great deal----and a little more love.

Sorry, I couldn't avoid the CI in Carmel humor! How about, buy the new IQ2 MFDB from Dave, and get the CI in Carmel t-shirt for free!
    Last edited by kdphotography; 4th March 2013 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Long exposures, more DR, wireless iPad coolness... just put my order in.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the second line here is of note re. reviewing images:

"Works directly with iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
    Doesn't require computer"

Post Thanks / Like

So just to add a little more info:

The IQ160 and IQ260 Achromatic are the same sensor. Hence, the lack of long exposures capabilities with the new Achro.

The IQ180 and the IQ280 are also the same exact sensor. The only new sensor is the IQ260.

Official cross-grade price for IQ180 to IQ280 is $13,990 USD. This is a P1 promotion and is only offered until the end of June, 2013.

A IQ160 to IQ260 upgrade is not available through Phase One and will need to be negotiated through your Phase One dealer.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...
    for whom who can't afford the IQ2 160 plenty of P45+ will be available in second hand...

any upgrade path for Leaf owners ?
    Aptus II 7 to IQ2 160 ?
    Aptus 22 to IQ2 160 ?
    My left kidney to IQ2 160 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    Yes...
    for whom who can't afford the IQ2 160 plenty of P45+ will be available in second hand...

Aptus II 7 to IQ2 160 ?
    Aptus 22 to IQ2 160 ?
    Heaven ! Waiting for a nice P45+ for me....... :-)
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

P65+ to IQ280 - $17,500

IQ180 to IQ280 - $14,000

So the IQ180 trade in value is only $3.5K more than the P65+.

There's a, what, $10K difference in second hand value between these two backs?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I got a P65+ then.Curious what's the trade in price for P65+ to IQ260

Post Thanks / Like

Peter
    Just because someone gave it a fresh injection of embalming fluid and a new wrap of bandages and sat it upright, doesn't make it alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Prices start at $40,000 - just for the back.
    Makes Leica look cheap.
    Brad Husick

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    Yes...

Aptus II 7 to IQ2 160 ?
    Aptus 22 to IQ2 160 ?
    Aptus II7 --> IQ260 = yes
    Aptus 22 --> IQ260 = probably
    My left kidney --> IQ2 160 = sorry, both kidneys or no deal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Prices start at $40,000 - just for the back.
    Makes Leica look cheap.
    No surprise there. High end digital backs have been 40 grand for as long as I can remember. Fortunately my P65+ paid for itself in the first year, still works great 45k exposures later and has pretty good trade in value.

And if you think this stuff is expensive, go have a look at movie gear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any price idea?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Aptus II7 --> IQ260 = yes
    Aptus 22 --> IQ260 = probably
    My left kidney --> IQ2 160 = sorry, both kidneys or no deal

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many might be interested in an IQ180 -> IQ260 upgrade/crossgrade?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any price idea?
    I'd shoot us an email and we should be able to get you a quote within 24 hours. It's not going to be especially accurate/meaningful/practical for me to try to answer 20 combinations of upgrading-from-upgrading-to kind of questions and for some combinations factors like condition of the back being traded in will matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, thinking about upgrading to the H5D50 but the IQ260 is very very tempting....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about museum quality print of Sandra wearing CI in Carmel T-Shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Well, I would expect that those that spent their Valentine's Day Weekend with Dave Gallagher get a great deal----and a little more love.

Sorry, I couldn't avoid the CI in Carmel humor! How about, buy the new IQ2 MFDB from Dave, and get the CI in Carmel t-shirt for free!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, is there any information about the handling of the investment protection plan when a IQ 180 was bought within the last year and an upgrade to IQ 280 is planned ?

Wolfgang

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think 'wearing' is a relative term.

Btw, iso140 base plus 1hrs on the iq260 sounds like a winner for travel to me. Is there a low ISO option too to avoid NDs for us longer exposure folks?

Time to scare myself with the upgrade/cross-grade options for my MFDB menagerie.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful what you wish for. That can be arranged. Dave could be giving you a call shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

Time to scare myself with the upgrade/cross-grade options for my MFDB menagerie.
    You're the only one I know, Graham, that can ask for the multiple MFDB discount...

I think for that, Sandra might hand delivery your IQ2 MFDBs...

Post Thanks / Like

Go for the 80MP or the long exposure? Which would be the better selling feature? I think a lot of people will go for the IQ180 if they want the pixel count, since theses are essentially the same sensor. But the IQ260 sounds like a true innovation for people with a hard need.

Which back do you think will maintain their resale value more? ( i know it's still a long way off, but never too early to plan for investment)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i think all the data is not in, but is the base iso of the IQ260 35iso?
    coupled with a 1hr max exposure?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can we start taking official guesses for how long before Guy buys one of these? I give it 4 months max....
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

i won't go with the IQ280 with a technical camera...

if i was shooting fashion with a DF, i will opt for it...

just a question of needs...

none of them is good in term of resale value... you buy it if you can, and you earn money with it... that's it !

Post Thanks / Like

in one hand you have 12 D800
    in the other one, only an IQ2
    anyway you just need one camera !

that's a shame that i have only two kidneys left ;-)