The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WAHOOO ... off to Medium Format Miami this AM

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Marc,

You made the leap then? I'll be anxious to hear your impressions. Still sitting on my wallet....for now!!

Cheers,

Jim

fotografz

Jim, the Mark with a "K" made the leap to a Hasselblad H3D/31-II just recently ... I, the Marc with a "C", did it long ago. I'm goofing around in Miami with a H3D/31 and 3 lenses + a 1.7X.

Mark K and I have been discussing Hasselblad's inclusion of a mirror delay menu function to minimize the effect of mirror slap with slower shutter speeds. Since the weather here in Miami is crappy, I've been experimenting with different delay settings indoors.

There are a number of delay settings to select from and I've tried them all. 50ms, 100ms, 200ms. 100ms seems pretty good for most applications. As you know, medium format often requires a shutter speed at least at, or above, the focal length being used... usually above ... to get even acceptable hand-held candid images. So far, I've found that one shutter speed below the focal length is possible when using the mirror delay.

For example, here's just an experimental hand-held shot at 1/25th using a 50mm on the H3D/31 @ ISO 800. I think setting the mirror delay @ 200ms would have done even better in light this low.

Last edited:

fotografz

Here's one @ 1/8th of a second shutter speed using the 50mm. No support, just hand-held with the 100ms mirror delay. Not bad considering we are talking about a Medium Format camera here:

Last edited:

mark1958

Yes i am Mark with a K... and I used to live in Michigan not too far from Marc with a C.... :). Livonia, Oak Park, Novi, and E. Lansing to be specific.

My camera is due to arrive Monday but I am leaving that afternoon for a short work trip. Marc-- which focusing screen are you using? the default screen or the Hassy grid screen?

Mark would be interested in the 100% crop of the focal point of those handheld shots.. looks impressive

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Mark and Mark,

Just too damn many of you and both from Michigan !! And, now you both will have Hassy H3D's....how are we to know? :D Mark C, I like your handheld shots, well done. How does the 3D "feel" ergonomically compared to the H's and the large DSLR's? Curious as still contemplating.

Sorry our Florida weather hasn't cooperated for you. We were at about 19 the last two nights up here in Ocala......brrrrrrrr ! Should be good though starting tomorrow (72 here), so hope you still have some time left. Keep the images coming.

Enjoy,

Jim

mark1958

Jim.. it was funny but after using the H2 system for so long and then coming back and trying to shoot with a Canon 1D series camera, the canon felt really strange. I felt alittle shakey holding the 1D camera again. i personally like the H system balances.

kipling

can any of you guys put up examples of some shots taken with the hc 2,2/100mm on a h3d 31? i'm trying to decide on whether or not to get this lens for portraiture work or just use the 80mm...

i'll be testing both, but any opinions would be interesting to hear.

thanks

fotografz

Miami weather sucked and the photo opportunities mediocre for people shooting ... but it's a great city for food and walking about.

Jim, I've been using the H system now pretty intensely right along side Canon 1D cameras ... mostly for some wedding photography and commercial shoots. The H3D/31 has made inroads into the Canon territory for handling and speed ... to the point that I cancelled my order for the 1DsMKIII. I still use a Canon 1DMKIII for super low light work with f/1.4 & f/1.2 lenses, and really fast AF needs.

When it comes to IQ there is no contest. Here's A Miami shot and a detail of that shot:

Last edited:

mark1958

Kipling.. My camera comes on monday but i will be gone until mid week. I can certainly try some shots with the 100mm but i no longer have the 80 for a direct comparison. I opted to get the 28mm HC as a free lens upgrade with the kit. I had compared the two previously and felt the 100mm was superior in bokeh when shooting a garden.

fotografz

can any of you guys put up examples of some shots taken with the hc 2,2/100mm on a h3d 31? i'm trying to decide on whether or not to get this lens for portraiture work or just use the 80mm...

i'll be testing both, but any opinions would be interesting to hear.

thanks
Hi Kipling.

I have to admit to not using the HC 80/2.8 much in favor of the 100/2.2. I've used the 80 in studio with strobes when I needed that focal length to get the whole subject in frame and couldn't get back far enough in my smallish studio space. But that's about it.

The 100/2.2 stays on the camera most of the time, and I use it wide open for 90% of the shots. I love the Bokeh from this lens.

Here are a few 100/2.2 examples I grabbed per your request ... The Sepia one of the Bride & lighthouse was f/4.8, the OJ @ f/2.2 ... for the girl with strawberry I backed off the contrast a bit in post (can't recall the f/stop) ... the OJ is just a snap shot from my Miami trip ... I just liked the light when the waiter plunked down my Breakfast juice : -)

Last edited:

kipling

thanks marc, beautiful work. the little girl must have been worth a mint in print sales for that wedding job = )

i'm really struggling on this because of exactly the same problem you mentioned in your studio. i find myself in cramped locations quite often and the 80mm is just wide enough to capture the scene on a lot of occasions. i also like to shoot wide open and f2 on the 80mm gives a really nice look. the 80mm and the 100 are just too closely spaced to have both imo. i'm thinking the 50-110 and the f2,2/100 would cover almost all my needs with the 28mm or 35mm for occasional wide shots.

this about as wide as i can go with an 80mm i a normal "european" room with lighting around me...

fotografz

thanks marc, beautiful work. the little girl must have been worth a mint in print sales for that wedding job = )

i'm really struggling on this because of exactly the same problem you mentioned in your studio. i find myself in cramped locations quite often and the 80mm is just wide enough to capture the scene on a lot of occasions. i also like to shoot wide open and f2 on the 80mm gives a really nice look. the 80mm and the 100 are just too closely spaced to have both imo. i'm thinking the 50-110 and the f2,2/100 would cover almost all my needs with the 28mm or 35mm for occasional wide shots.

this about as wide as i can go with an 80mm i a normal "european" room with lighting around me...
Cool shot Kipling.

Depends on what set up you get ... most HD kits come with the 80/2.8. If you get the H3D/31 it has a 1.3X crop factor and the 80 may be the way to go since it'll provide a 104mm field of view anyway. I don't have the 50-110 zoom so I can't comment on it.

IMO, 28 or 35 depends on whether you go H3D/31 with its 1.3X crop factor or the H3D/22 or 39 which is a 1.1X. I use the 35 more on the 1.1X sensor ... the 28 is really wide. But on the H3D/31 it's the equivalent of a 36mm.

kipling

yeah, that's my point, i'll be getting the h3d II 31 and although the 100mm (130mm) would be great for head shots and tightly framed stuff, the 80mm (104mm) would be the more versitile focal length.
The trade in deal i'm getting for my Aptus back is for the the h3d 31 without a lens, so that's why i'm thinking hard about this.
thanks for your help.