The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starter back - Leaf Aptus 22 or Aptus II 5 ?

craigosh

Hi guys,
I've been looking at an Aptus 22 back as my entry into MFD. Should I be looking for an Aptus II 5 instead? Is there much difference between the two?

Any other suggestions for a budget back I should be looking for, to go with a hired tech cam and stick on my 4x5 for now. ??

Cheers

Craig

torger

If all you need is image quality the Aptus 22 will be a good choice. The Aptus II 5 has a more modern user interface which you may appreciate, but as far as I know the image quality is exactly the same (might be some very minor change, like different IR filter or something). I think that the Aptus 22 feels more modern than many other backs from that time, it has a quite okay screen and working 100% focus check which was pretty unique at the time. If you will be shooting tethered it does not matter much though.

On the second hand market a 33 megapixel Aptus 75 is another very good price/performance choice. I think it has better image quality than a P45+ (due to more accurate color) and has a much lower price. (If you need long exposure you need a P25+ or P45+ though.)

danlindberg

I enjoy working with the Aptus II 5. Overall a nice back that must be considered great value. Pleasing tonality and filmlike files. A superback for use on a tech cam with movements.
The downsides are moire will show sooner or later, getting passed 15 seconds of exposure and noise starts to be evident and finally less dynamic range compared to more modern sensors.
But if you have good conditions the back will perform excellent. Enough dots to produce stunning 100x70cm artprints.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You should also see an improvement in the brightness/contrast of the LCD of the II 5 vs 22. I have an Aptus 65 and certainly noticed the difference between it and the newer II series backs. Also some speed difference in the UI IIRC.

yaya

Hi guys,
I've been looking at an Aptus 22 back as my entry into MFD. Should I be looking for an Aptus II 5 instead? Is there much difference between the two?

Any other suggestions for a budget back I should be looking for, to go with a hired tech cam and stick on my 4x5 for now. ??

Cheers

Craig
Hello Craig,

There are quite a few differences between the two models. On the Aptus-II 5 you get:

1. Brighter and more contrasty screen
2. New GUI which is more intuitive with improved functionality and some added features: manual input of lens focal length, custom lens calibration etc.
3. Improved functionality when used on Mamiya 645AFDIII: Live View
4. Improved functionality when used on Mamiya 645DF/ DF+: Live view, remote camera control and 1/1,600 sync)
5. No need for a dongle when using Live View in Leaf Capture
6. Use of Capture One in DB mode (no licence required)
7. Faster preview generation in Capture One when shooting tethered
8. Firewire 800 for buffer-less tethered shooting
9. Support for UDMA CF cards for faster writing/ reading speeds

If you buy the Aptus-II 5 new you get a 1yr factory warranty which can be extended to 3 years for an additional charge

In terms of image quality, colour etc. the two backs are very, very similar

Hope this helps

Yair

craigosh

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm watching an Aptus 22 with Mamiya 645AFDII and couple of lenses on fleebay. If I can get it for a good price (got something in mind) then at least, with what everyone has said, it sounds like I'll be fairly happy with the purchase.

What is the native ISO of the back? I'm currently using Portra 160 a lot on the 4x5 and not really going over 10s for exposures most of the time, and that's at f22.

What are people's thoughts about using it on my Ebony with a suitable back adapter, while I save up some money to bulk up the sale of my 4x5 kit?

archivue

native : 25iso

"What are people's thoughts about using it on my Ebony with a suitable back adapter, while I save up some money to bulk up the sale of my 4x5 kit?"
in my humble opinion...not a good idea !
i believe that Capture integration have a cambo wide DS on sale...

Shashin

What are people's thoughts about using it on my Ebony with a suitable back adapter, while I save up some money to bulk up the sale of my 4x5 kit?
Not impossible. I use a P25+ back on a Linhof c679. It would depend on the finess of the focuser, the accuracy of the GG, and the flex in the system. Using something you have is much easier than using something you don't have. A sliding back would be much better than removing the GG and then placing on the back.

craigosh

C679 is probably a lot more precise than my Ebony, but I've seen some great images on Flickr from a p45+ on an ebony with a sliding back, so reckon it's worth a go.

@archivue - the Wide DS is tempting but no lenses available, and import taxes to the UK will bump the price up to close to a new WRC-400 body.

T

TheTubbyPixel

Hi Craig,
Thought you might be interested. Peartree have 2 ex-demo backs for sale, they are advertised on the peartreephotoshop.co.uk website; A Leaf Aptus-II 5 22mp & Leaf Aptus-II 7 33mp.

If you are using a 5x4 you will require either a Graflock direct adapter or a Sliding adapter. The Leaf backs have the best Live View when tethered, so it is perfect for use in a studio with the Graflock. If you predominately shoot on location outdoors then you will need a Sliding Adapter, it offers the sensor a dust free and safe environment as well as more accurate focussing and stitching function.

Answering your last question the 22mp has an ISO range of 25-400 and the 33mp 50-800

Craig,

I still have two graphlok backs for 4x5 (Mamiya mount) which you're welcome to make an offer on, but frankly the reason they're in a box is that I've been where you are headed. It's doable, but painful.

The sensor is a massive crop from 4x5, so you will need wider lenses. An 80mm lens will be 'normal', 40 - 50 would be wider. If normal is your thing, you'll have a much better time, so consider your preferences

1. The setup may not be accurate enough to maintain focus across the image plane, not without a lot of fiddling. The problem is not getting there (it can) but just how painful it is to obtain accurate focus.

2. You might not be able to mount anything short enough, plus the sliding back may add some distance over where your film plane used to be, making it worse. The back I had allowed me 55mm on a Toyo 45AII

3. DoF is working against you with digital making critical focus more important.

4. You need to consider your lens lineup, as they're likely to perform really badly on digital. There some exceptions, but in general it would be painful unless you have digital lenses. A digital lens is optimised for f4 - f8 whereas a film lens is optimised for f22 and above

On the plus side the Aptus/DM can sync from a normal flash PC cable, and it actually works really well in a studio environment where you can tether and also control everything.

Summary: It's doable, but painful, you need to consider your desired focal lengths and see if it's even possible on your camera, you need to understand your existing lens performance as you may need a new lens.

Paul

craigosh

Cheers for all the help guys.

To be honest those backs that Peartree have, are to rich for me at the moment. Just finding this kit on ebay at a quite low starting price I'm hoping its like my Imacon and I get it for a steal. If I get it for what I want to pay for it then I'll do a little dance :D and start looking at tech camera options and get the 4x5 and Imacon sold and just go from a 4 lens setup to a single lens MFD setup. Though I'd consider getting a sliding back for Ebony at first just to get me going.

Currently I have the Super Angulon 58mm XL, Nikkor 75mm, Super Symmar 110mm XL and old Nikkor 180mm. The Ebony is the SW45 and apparently it's usable with down to a 35mm lens (Apo Grandagon!), with a recessed board. So got at least two recent and really quite sharp lenses. I know the 58mm won't be anywhere near as wide on MFD but should work fine for me when doing landscapes. Just no Interiors/Architectural shots.

I know moving to MFD is going to be the way I'll have to go for some of my work. Just struggling to get the work to fund it. Backs are so expensive. The Cambo body is actually quite reasonably priced, about £1500+vat from Teamwork, I think, for the wrs-1250, but then lens's are another big expense.

My other idea, before I saw this kit on ebay, was to get the Cambo with the Schneider 35mm, Hasselblad V adapter and then use a film back for my personal work and hire an Aptus II 5 from Peartree as and when I need it for commercial work. Assuming they have one in V fitting for hire.

Or an Hcam and use it with my 24 ts-e II and maybe other Canon lenses!?

But that is a whole other thread, going off topic here so I'll stop.

Thanks for the info everyone, helps a lot.