Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 9 micron sensor: Magic or Myth?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 9 micron sensor: Magic or Myth?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Yes, 2 is a sound conclusion, along with the other components of technique I mentioned

Guy and I did the shooting and all modesty aside, we know proper technique... We used a known good lens for our system, the new AFD 80. We confirmed focus via the excellent electronic focus confirmation in the Phase/Mamiya AFD3 body for the shots -- we know it works from previous testing
    Why, then, do folks rave about the Rodenstock and Schneider "digital" LF lenses, if they're only guaranteed to 50 lp/mm across the image circle?

Seems like they're barking up the wrong tree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The 9 micron sensor: Magic or Myth?

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    Why, then, do folks rave about the Rodenstock and Schneider "digital" LF lenses, if they're only guaranteed to 50 lp/mm across the image circle?

Seems like they're barking up the wrong tree
    If you look at the MTF charts, I think you'll find Rodenstock and Schneider *digital* lenses run more like 100 LP/mm across the 645 sensor at over 20% contrast, and the HR versions more like 120 line pairs. Most generic Rodenstock or Schneider *4x5* lenses will get you over 50 line pairs. Moreover, the area where the digital lenses excel relative to SLR glass is at the short end, and here most SLR lenses fall in performance pretty quickly relative to the normal and longer focal lengths.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."