Site Sponsors

Thread: C17 file handling.

Post Thanks / Like

C17 file handling.

Has anyone noticed the odd "halo" aberrations induced by C17? I'm seeing it in practically all instances of high contrast. It gives me the impression that the local contrast is dialed up too much. One would assume this could be a "clarity" related issue, but it's not -- I've scaled the clarity all the way down to zero to try to get rid of this, but it's been of no use.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: C17 file handling.

Not personally had any issues - got any examples?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Not personally had any issues - got any examples?
    Plenty. . . practically everything with high contrast demonstrates this to my eye. I'll post something later today when I have access to my images.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gabe if you could open a support case with 1-2 RAW files that demonstrate the issue that could help R&D figure out if there's a bug or something there. Send them as EIP so we'll have your settings as a reference

Thanks!

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

You mean Capture One 7.1? If so, yes, there are sharpening halo's galore. I noticed it starting with Version 7. Turning off sharpening fixes it, but I tend to just reduce sharpening and try to find a happy middle ground.

The new highlight / shadow recovery also produce halo's - like a poorly done dodge & burn in Photoshop. And Phase's new approach on noise reduction can induce a paintery effect on small details in distance objects.

Most of the issues could be managed if C1 had decent layers implementation - such as being able to do shadow / highlight recovery available at the layer level rather than a global adjustment. Ditto for the all sharpening & noise controls.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ack! I tried to look at this, and noticed dust spots I thought I had fixed. The Dust Removal part of the LCC menu was greyed out. These are files from an IQ160 back taken over a year ago, and Dust Removal was working fine in version 6 (and I think 7.0).

Ticket opened...

--Matt

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update: The solution was to change the lens profile from None to Generic and regenerate the LCC. This was on older files from an IQ160.

Thank you, Phase One Tech Support (I can say nice things about Tech Support...)

--Matt