The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macbook pro for leaf user... ?

archivue

While searching a good solution to connect my leaf Aptus II 7 to a Macbook retina... firewire missing on retina...
i've just find out, that while the 2.6 Macbook pro with 1GB GDDR5 memory
isn't there anymore...
In fact you can still compose one...

MacBook pro ( non retina) :
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
DVD, Firewire800, thunderbolt, USB3...
and i can ad third party ram = 16Go
and put my Samsung SSD inside !

Retina is probably the future, but from my point of view, this non retina macbook have more potential in a pro environment...

did i miss something except reflexion with the retina screen ?
;-)

I believe that you can use the thunderbolt>fw adapter with the leaf back and retina mbp. But you should ask a dealer to confirm that...but it's comes down to do you want smaller/lighter or more customization, I think.

Steve Hendrix

I believe that you can use the thunderbolt>fw adapter with the leaf back and retina mbp. But you should ask a dealer to confirm that...but it's comes down to do you want smaller/lighter or more customization, I think.

You could use it, but you don't have the option of forcing battery power for the Aptus-II 7, so you're reliant on the Thunderbolt>Firewire signal, which by itself, has been shown to be not robust for consistent, sustained connection. This means you could go Retina with Thunderbolt>Firewire Adapter, but would likely need to bulk up your tethering with a powered firewire hub.

Like so:

https://captureintegration.com/store/fw800-firewire-powered-hub/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

archivue

Thanks Steve !
i'm aware of that, but using it in the field is not that easy... the safe way seems to be by using a quantum turbo 3 battery pack and a SD16 cable that will powered the repeater.
Retina} thunderbolt to firewire } firewire to firewire } repeater } firewire to firewire }leaf back

The battery itself cost 800 $, but that way, the macbook autonomy is way better !