The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ260 Long Exposure Sample Files

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The First of Many

Over the coming weeks we (Digital Transitions) will be posting a variety of sample images from the Phase One IQ260, Phase One IQ280, and Phase One IQ260 Achromatic on our DT Testing Blog.

Phase One IQ260 Long Exposure Torture Test

The most frequent request we've recevied has been for an example of the IQ260's long exposure capability. Normally you'd expect this to be demonstrated with a softly lit, low contrast scene with daylite balanced lighting; in other words a scene that would show the best-case scenario But we thought we'd go a step further and do a true long exposure torture test.

So we took the prototype IQ260 and shot in a dim bar illuminated only by the exisiting tungsten lights and shot subject matter with fine detail, deep shadows, high contrast.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE

This is a JPG generated by a pre-release BETA version of Capture One which provides preliminary support for our prototype IQ260. Neither the hardware nor software is complete, and some minor issues in the file can be observed (notably speckeled black pixels around areas of detail and a few areas of strange color in a highlight). These are the sorts of minor issues we expect to be fully resolved as the hardware and software is finalized for a public launch of the finished product in June.

---------

DOWNLOAD THE FULL RES JPGS
See more examples and download full resolution JPGs here:
Phase One IQ260 Long Exposure Example - DT Blog

----

mmbma

Saw these shots in person at Doug's office today. Awesome quality. We focused on the deep shadows and quarter tones on his computer, couldn't really tell the difference on the monitors (between 1 min and 8 mins). Also saw a 1 hour shot. That was a bit coarser at 100% (as expected) but nevertheless very impressive. Ipad wireless worked without a hitch, and the little incremental improvements Phase made to the UI are refreshing to use.

rupho

Thanks for sharing
May I ask how the different exposure times were achieved , ND filter?
Grischa

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks for sharing
May I ask how the different exposure times were achieved , ND filter?
Grischa
Correct. A 3 stop ND from B+W (Schneider's filter brand) took it from 1 min to 8 min. I was a bit concerned at first that the filter might pick up flare, ghosting etc (always a concern for long exposures in an environment with random/chaotic lighting). But as soon as the image was captured I checked it full screen on the iPad and was highly confident no such effects were taking place.

Paul2660

Doug,

Did you take a 8 minute LCC? or did you use a shorter one, or not use a LCC at all. Just curious as you are using the 43 Schneider.

Looking good.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug,

How about some outdoor shots taken with a big stopper for 5mins or longer. Or maybe some longer 30+ minute exposures? Not the first exposure but perhaps the 4th or 5th with the back in zero latency mode?

Low light performance is obviously key but for some of us long exposure for long exposure's sake during the day is what we're looking for. For that, the higher ISO mode for long exposure isn't quite so helpful. For low light though it's a great feature.

Pemihan

Looks great Doug...

I like the fact you shot these in a bar, lots of opportunities to keep you occupied during the 8 minutes exposures and dark frames ;-)

Peter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug,

How about some outdoor shots taken with a big stopper for 5mins or longer. Or maybe some longer 30+ minute exposures? Not the first exposure but perhaps the 4th or 5th with the back in zero latency mode?

Low light performance is obviously key but for some of us long exposure for long exposure's sake during the day is what we're looking for. For that, the higher ISO mode for long exposure isn't quite so helpful. For low light though it's a great feature.
You going to be in NYC anytime soon? We'd be glad to have your expert eyes behind the camera for such an endeavor. Daytime long exposures is one of the few niches of photography I have zero personal experience. Not that it's rocket science or anything; I'd just love to have someone manning the camera that has your experience and skill in the genre.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You going to be in NYC anytime soon? We'd be glad to have your expert eyes behind the camera for such an endeavor. Daytime long exposures is one of the few niches of photography I have zero personal experience. Not that it's rocket science or anything; I'd just love to have someone manning the camera that has your experience and skill in the genre.
doug,

i would love to test it. Unfortunately I wont be out on the east coast until mid April but if you want it tested in Iceland and Vietnam in the meantime I'd be happy to oblige :D

gazwas

Doug, these files look great and my dealer has shown me one longer than these that looks a million dollars. The back is obviously applying some LENR at capture as can be seen in your examples but at what point would you say is the tipping point of wanting rather than having to use the LE mode? For example an interior shoot where normally at ISO50 exposure may only be 2 or 3 seconds but people are needed in the shot. Being able to shoot at a ISO140 may help a lot but will the back allow shorter shutter times?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, these files look great and my dealer has shown me one longer than these that looks a million dollars. The back is obviously applying some LENR at capture as can be seen in your examples but at what point would you say is the tipping point of wanting rather than having to use the LE mode? For example an interior shoot where normally at ISO50 exposure may only be 2 or 3 seconds but people are needed in the shot. Being able to shoot at a ISO140 may help a lot but will the back allow shorter shutter times?
These sorts of details are subject to change as they go from prototype/released version. But as of right now LE mode can be activated even for arbitrarily short exposures (e.g. 1/500th) and from my limited experience so far would make sense to activate somewhere around the 20-40"@ISO50 range. As of now there is an "auto" mode under LE selection which would turn on the LE mode when the back feels it is beneficial.

Also (and I may have previously mis-reported this to some individuals during the initial announcement period) the LE mode, in the prototype, can be used with or without sensor+ mode. More testing/understanding from me on this is needed before I can provide any meaningful commentary other than "it's possible".

I have additional files of long exposures at 15 and 60 minutes; I agree they look damn good. But I am waiting for an upcoming tweak in the C1 processing math for IQ260 prior to posting them.

gazwas

and from my limited experience so far would make sense to activate somewhere around the 20-40"@ISO50 range.
So if you needed the shorter shutter speed an ISO200 normal mode with NR in C1 would give better/similar results to ISO140 LE mode under the 20-40 sec region?

Not a criticism, just thinking out loud how this LE ISO140 mode could be of use other than for the obvious. I'm just thinking base LE ISO might offer more DR than upping the ISO in standard mode.

I know we have sensor+ but 15 Mpix sometimes is not enough.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So if you needed the shorter shutter speed an ISO200 normal mode with NR in C1 would give better/similar results to ISO140 LE mode under the 20-40 sec region?

Not a criticism, just thinking out loud how this LE ISO140 mode could be of use other than for the obvious. I'm just thinking base LE ISO might offer more DR than upping the ISO in standard mode.
For short shutter speeds I suspect ISO200 in normal mode will produce better results than ISO140 in long exposure mode.

However, exactly when it will be best to use what combination of normal, long exposure mode, and sensor+ mode is something I am not remotely ready to speak to yet with any certainty. It will take a while to get used to the prototype, and probably another while to get used to any tweaks made between the prototype and the final shipping version.

It's even possible that for high ISO sensor+ shooting at fast shutter speeds that long exposure mode will improve quality. All things to work out as we get more hands on time with the back! :toocool:

For us nerds this is the fun part. By the time end-users have the back we should have very-easy-to-follow guidelines so if you're not a nerd you can just follow-the-leader on what to do for best results. And you know we'll post that here :).

ddanois

Doug,

On my monitor, the long exposure files seem to have a but more micro-contrast or "bite of sharpness" than the standard exposure. Are you seeing this as well?

Thanks for the effort.

Derek

lkuhlmann

The Long Exposure ISO140 has lower noise than the standard mode ISO200 - disregarding exposure time. As long as you need ISO 140 or more, Long Exposure mode has less noise than the standard mode.
-Lionel

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For short shutter speeds I suspect ISO200 in normal mode will produce better results than ISO140 in long exposure mode.

However, exactly when it will be best to use what combination of normal, long exposure mode, and sensor+ mode is something I am not remotely ready to speak to yet with any certainty. It will take a while to get used to the prototype, and probably another while to get used to any tweaks made between the prototype and the final shipping version.
Per Lionel above my first sentence here where I said "I suspect ISO200 in normal mode will produce better results than ISO140 in long exposure mode." is simply not correct.

As the launch gets closer and the hardware+software is completely finalized we will write up a brief user guide on what settings will provide the best quality (or what tradeoffs) in what situations. Phase One will also be making changes to the "Auto" setting in the long exposure mode to make the "right choice" in various mixtures; however, I suspect on a tech camera or in bulb mode (where the back will not know the length of exposure before it starts) that it will still behoove the user to be educated on when/why you'd want to turn on Long Exposure mode.