The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the IQ280 ?

gazwas

For me the big question is how will this new chip on the 260 perform at base iso and up to 400. This is where I tend to be in the field. Can they get more room in the shadows past where the 160 will go now, which I feel is on average about 1 3/4's of a stop to 2.l
Don't recall ever seing a test of this but is an IQ180 (280) better in this regard or does the lower base ISO make it worse?

Seem to remember users saying the files were smoother at base ISO than the 160 but not sure as the ISO climbs.

I feel IQ160 to IQ260 upgrade cost is very unreasonable (to me at least). I didn't celebrate first anniversary of my IQ160 yet, and IQ160 --> IQ260 upgrade price is $14K, just for long exposure and Wi-Fi!!!

For me, the upgrade price would have to be about 4k or less to get me to switch to the 280 from the 180. It is the worth of the wifi to me alone. I understand this may not be a reasonable number to phase, but i have to write the check and the functional difference is too small for the asking price now.I also didn't upgrade to the DF+ for 3-4 k and will wait for the next one I think.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
In all honesty the IQ 160 is a great back and I know a lot of folks that I recommended to buy that back. I still stand behind that. The new backs to me in a lot of ways are you really need the new features to upgrade and/or your coming in new and you jump on the latest generation. But guys sitting on value added warranties and still have 3 years to go before they run out should hold onto them until only one or two years are left to go . To me it gives you the value you invested and also gives you the resale power of selling with warranty. This is what every IQ series 1 owner needs to consider. Im all for upgrading and such but it needs to make financial sense and more important a use feature that you really want be it long exposures, wifi etc.

Don Libby

just thinking out loud...

I've not had my IQ160 a year yet and there's no friggin way I'd part with it just get longer exposures and Wifi; neither of which I really need. I decided to switch from my P65+ only after Guy sold his IQ160 and ended up getting it so it's staying within 100 miles of the original owner. :thumbs: The IQ160 is perfect for my purposes.

Actually I'm glad Phase introduced the IQ2 as this ends up saving me money as there's nothing I want or need. What I'm waiting for is the long overdue new 645 body which if it covers just 1/2 of what I'd like it to be then I'll be knitting that mask.

At one time I thought 80 megapixels was what I wanted/needed however 60 is more than enough and so much easier to work with while allowing me to continue to print the sizes I normally do.

gazwas

At one time I thought 80 megapixels was what I wanted/needed however 60 is more than enough and so much easier to work with while allowing me to continue to print the sizes I normally do.
Don, I thought you were all set to upgrade to the 80 Mpix back as you were switching lenses etc. I honestly thought the IQ2 would have been the incentive but you've decided to stay put......

The more I read and talk to people, for some reason it seem the new backs have caused a shift in peoples aspirations. Once it was 80 Mpix or why bother, but now we're all happy shooting 60 again.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
This makes interesting reading.

So of all the IQ180 owners who, if the price was of no concern/cheap enough would cross grade to the IQ280 or prefer to go to the IQ260 and why?
If it were a free upgrade, I'd move to the 280 from the 180, but the 280 doesn't offer enough to pay to upgrade. I think the 280 is more about something evolving, and is more of a replacement product. Not much to talk about because it's not really new. The 260 really has the only significant new technology. (now give me live view wireless to the iPad mini with the 280 and I'd probably feel much differently).

I'm not interested in the 260, for the very rare times I need long exposures I use my backup kit, d800e with zeiss glass. I don't use a tech camera (didn't like the shooting process) so I don't have many issues with the back.

Guy Mancuso

Don, I thought you were all set to upgrade to the 80 Mpix back as you were switching lenses etc. I honestly thought the IQ2 would have been the incentive but you've decided to stay put......

The more I read and talk to people, for some reason it seem the new backs have caused a shift in peoples aspirations. Once it was 80 Mpix or why bother, but now we're all happy shooting 60 again.
I was happy with 40mpx BUT the crop factor finally got under my skin with the DF . I know the saying is go big or go home. I think we all have gone through this process and realized overall 60 is the spot for many of us and trying to stay in some type if budget range. The 180 WAS the best deal to upgrade too from the P65 and a lot of people jumped all over it and at the time made the most sense of value more than sheer MPX

Guy Mancuso

I love the Phase backs and systems but buying them you really need to do the math and find the best value and more importantly find the best upgradable back for the future. Yes there is a method to Dante's inferno. Don't touch the flame but stay warm. Lol

FYi your spouse is the fire extinguisher .

These are the rules to dance in the inferno. LOL

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Every time I use the IQ140, I wish it were an IQ160. I can't help it, I'm an area snob. I have no 80MP lust at all. I just want the damn mm^2.

(and so far, no one has mentioned an upgrade price from THAT back. La la la, I can't heeeear you....) :D

--Matt

Don Libby

Okay - thinking long term...

What's my next back? Well if all things were the same as they are now I'd shoot for a 80 megapixel (which is one of the reasons I just switched lenses). I know this sounds fickled. I'm in no hurry what so ever to switch/upgrade backs. I was in need of a new focal length as no matter how much I tried I just didn't love the 35mm as much as I thought I should and used my 72 and 120 more. Hell, to be honest I use the 72 a heck of a lot more than the 120 due to the shot barrel design.

Bottom line (if I were to be totally honest with myself) is that I am really enjoying the IQ160 so much that I simply don't want to change.

I guess my short answer to the "No love for the IQ280" is....

While it looks good - it currently does not make sense to spend the money.

Don

One more thought: the main reason for me to switch to either the IQ180 or 280 is the ability to shoot at ISO 35.

Last edited:

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Is there even a downgrade option to IQ260 available for IQ180 user?
There is no official Phase One program.
We are doing it on a case by case basis for our clients.
There are some variables involved such as age of back traded, length of warranty remaining, etc. which do not make it so cut and dry.

It is best to make contact off forum to discuss.

Best Regards,

Lance (email me)

rupho

BTW why is there no P1 program to what they call downgrade from higher res back to lower? In this particular update there is clearly an added benefit for some who need long exposures to switch from a 180 to a 260.
It seems odd to be left out of that option as a premium customer.
I understandit has always been that way but clearly this time around the realities have changed. The 260 offeres something truly unique and there are folks that came to the conclusion that 80 MP puts too much strain on their existing lens pool.
I find that baffling to say the least.

Grischa

There is no official Phase One program.
We are doing it on a case by case basis for our clients.
There are some variables involved such as age of back traded, length of warranty remaining, etc. which do not make it so cut and dry.

Best Regards,

Lance (email me)

kdphotography

BTW why is there no P1 program to what they call downgrade from higher res back to lower? In this particular update there is clearly an added benefit for some who need long exposures to switch from a 180 to a 260.
It seems odd to be left out of that option as a premium customer.
I understandit has always been that way but clearly this time around the realities have changed. The 260 offeres something truly unique and there are folks that came to the conclusion that 80 MP puts too much strain on their existing lens pool.
I find that baffling to say the least.

Grischa
There may not be an official Phase One cross-platform/up/downgrade program, but certainly there are dealers willing to accommodate clients---at least here in the US.

ken

yatlee

There may not be an official Phase One cross-platform/up/downgrade program, but certainly there are dealers willing to accommodate clients---at least here in the US.

ken
I now feel like an abandoned child as my dealer here said Phase one is not supporting them for cross platform/downgrade and there is not much they can do.

gazwas

I now feel like an abandoned child as my dealer here said Phase one is not supporting them for cross platform/downgrade and there is not much they can do.
How one official dealer can offer up/cross/down grade package while another official dealer on a different continent won't/can't is baffling.

mbn

In germany we don't even have dealers.
If you want to buy phase one stuff, you have to deal with phase one germany...

Just because dealers in one country can offer such up/downgrades doesn't mean that a dealer in another country also can. Germans don't have a free phase one market anymore, in other countrys there are no up/downgrades available... allowed. Just guessing here!

engel001

Phase One is not alone in adopting this upgrade policy, favoring upgraders who skip every other generation. Apple does it with the iPhone, with a first-generation product and a more refined second generation (4, 4s, 5, guess what...), Intel does it with their processors (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, etc.).... They call that a TICK-TOCK. I hear the grumbling from early adopters who want to have the latest every year, but this is quite common in our fast-evolving technological landscape. The problem is with the accelerated devaluation of our existing backs. Such is the free market place. In Germany, you may actually be fortunate to have a tighter market controlled by Phase One itself. This may artifically hold up values for used backs better.

- Christopher

Heh, I always skip a generation with my iPhones and iPads. Hadn't really considered that's what I'm doing with digi-backs as well.

Of course if you try to skip generations on Mac Pro towers you're stuck with the same machine for 3-5 years.

:p

Dave Gallagher

How one official dealer can offer up/cross/down grade package while another official dealer on a different continent won't/can't is baffling.
This is a simple business decision. Its all about margin and cash flow. Many businesses in this day and age can not afford an inventory base. And many who can afford it, choose not to. In business, you need to know your product and margin succinctly. You need to understand how long that product sits on your shelf and diminishes in value while when it is not a part of a revenue stream. This, of course, is for any tech business not just ours.

When I take a DB in on trade, I can either send it back to the manufacturer and take their smaller offer on this trade in. Or I can choose to take a chance on putting in into my inventory and reselling it myself at a higher price. These decisions are based on my present cash flow, how many of the units I already own, or the potential resale value of that product.

I won't speak for other dealers and how the conduct their business. There are very few dealers who are in the digital back market for a reason. Trust me, it is not the easiest market to succeed in.

As for pricing, Phase One US made a big mistake in their pricing on this product. It was as frustrating for the dealers as it was for our customers. Some customers were lucky and took advantage of these mistakes in the first week of the offer. We have never seen pricing change in the first 7 days of a release and we hope that we don't again. I am all for transparency and integrity in this marketplace. Pricing should be available and open. We will work hard to keep this as open as possible in the future.

Dave Gallagher (e-mail Me)

President, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.522.7662
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 7 at 10% off