Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No love for the IQ280 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy No love for the IQ280 ?

So last time around the IQ180 was the must have back and the lowly IQ160 was just a P65+ dressed in underwear. Everyone was 80Mpix this - more DR that but now it seems the IQ280 almost doesn't exist.....

Are IQ180 owners that fed up with 80Mpix and lens cast issues that they want the new IQ260 or are they all just smitten with their 180's? From looking at the fun with tech and MF camera threads long exposures are not all that popular so why all the hurry to get 1Hr long exposures on the 260? The P45+ did 1Hr just fine but you don't see many long exposure pictures shot with them.

On release of the IQ260 will every picture posted be 1Hr long?

What a difference 25 months makes........

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No love for the IQ280 ?

Personally I'm looking forward to shooting interiors with 12 stops ND just to add billable hours to every shoot!

Um... just kidding, clients
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Personally I'm looking forward to shooting interiors with 12 stops ND just to add billable hours to every shoot!

Um... just kidding, clients

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    So last time around the IQ180 was the must have back and the lowly IQ160 was just a P65+ dressed in underwear. Everyone was 80Mpix this - more DR that but now it seems the IQ280 almost doesn't exist.....

Are IQ180 owners that fed up with 80Mpix and lens cast issues that they want the new IQ260 or are they all just smitten with their 180's? From looking at the fun with tech and MF camera threads long exposures are not all that popular so why all the hurry to get 1Hr long exposures on the 260? The P45+ did 1Hr just fine but you don't see many long exposure pictures shot with them.

On release of the IQ260 will every picture posted be 1Hr long?

What a difference 25 months makes........
    I guess it's just nice to have the option.. alternative is buy a D800E for the long exposure shots or a used P45 and hang on to the current back..

Post Thanks / Like

I think part of the problem here is that the trade-in value to swap a 180 for the 280 is not exactly attractive...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

(To put it into perspective, I've been quoted $13K for the upgrade.

Do you think there's $13K of added value there?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    (To put it into perspective, I've been quoted $13K for the upgrade.

Do you think there's $13K of added value there?)
    OK the 180 crowd are not offered much in the way of value or features stepping up to the 280 but what about all the P45, P40, P65, IQ140, IQ160 owners who last time thought the IQ180 was the big daddy are now only looking in envy at the 260?

I don't think I seen a single mention of someone upgrading to a 280 but plenty of 260's.

I'm in the same boat a - P65 shooter lookig at a 260 but why? I don't think i've ever shot more than about a 30 second exposure with my back and mostly in the >10sec region.

Why all of a sudden are 80Mpix not the must have thing?

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest difference that last time around was the move to a different interface. The jump from the P65+ (and her cousins) to the new IQ series screen was major. Sure, the added megapixels were nice, but the IQ screen, focus mask, 100% zoom, etc. in terms of usability was the prime motivator (at least it was for me). That---and the the upgrade/trade-in incentive was pretty attractive, to the point that a cross platform trade-in to the IQ160 didn't make sense. To be honest most were totally happy with 60MP and didn't need more. But Phase really wanted to get the IQ180 out into the hands of photographers, imho. And that was a smart move by Phase.

60MP and a FF sensor is the sweet spot today. The IQ260 offers a lot---all with a new sensor too. Sure 80MP is still the flagship, and I really don't see lens cast as an issue, unless you insist on using older lenses not up to the task. Nothing throwing more money at can't solve...

For those where WiFi is a must-have, or using that iPad mini is important, the upgrade will make sense. The stated uptick in DR is still to be seen and/or proven, and I doubt it's going to be noticeable being that the IQ180 and IQ280 share the same chip.

$13K to upgrade? Not for this IQ180 user. I'm totally happy with the IQ180, especially with the Cambo. DF is good, but I'm waiting... I just don't think I'd appreciate the new IQ280 offerings in my workflow. I'm more apt to spend money on a new Phase body if it ever arrives or a new lens.

But I'm real excited and happy for those that are upgrading to the IQ260 and IQ280. I'd love to see the IQ260 Achromatic----I want to print some images on my K7 B&W piezography printer! It's a great time to be a gear slut in Dante's Inferno...

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    That---and the the upgrade/trade-in incentive was pretty attractive, to the point that a cross platform trade-in to the IQ160 didn't make sense. To be honest most were totally happy with 60MP and didn't need more. But Phase really wanted to get the IQ180 out into the hands of photographers, imho. And that was a smart move by Phase.
    I've sort of lost track of the differences but I thought that was the case still today? For a P65+ user the difference to upgrade to a IQ280 is not that much different to an cross grade to the IQ260 but still people want IQ260's.

Does it all boil down to the fact its something new the others don't have?

If Phase put a bell on it and a go faster stripe and called it the IQ280TurboS would we flock in our droves.......

"Woooo a bell and stripes!"

Post Thanks / Like

Gareth, that's just silly.

Unless the bell is Titanium??!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Gareth, that's just silly.

Unless the bell is Titanium??!!!
    I'm not so sure and I'm starting to question my reasoning for a 260 over the 280.

Take yourself Chris.... We have all seen you beautiful architectural work but can't recall an instance where an exposure of 1Hr would have been beneficial to your work. You have reported looking at the IQ and loving it but never upgraded so what was your rational to pull the trigger on the 260 over the IQ1XX?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gareth,

I pretty much agree with Ken on your question.

I use the 180 on the DF and an Arca tech cam and I am happy with the results. Like Ken, I am awaiting what I hope will be a major upgrade to the DF.

The upgrade to the 280 is too expensive from the 180. Although I can see why wireless could be great with the tech cam, it is not worth 13K to me when I will be owning the same chip as the 180. Also, the difference in costs to upgrade from a P65+ to a 280 is only about 4 K more than the upgrade from the 180. Is the IQ180 really worth just 4k more than a P65+?

I had a P45+ and miss the long exposures, so I see the appeal to the new 60 MP back, but realistically it would not be used in that fashion often enough to trade my back in for that one.

In summary, I don't think there is good value in the trade up for me, as it is essentially 13 k for wireless in the back. I am happy enough with the 180 as is.

Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, to be honest the IQ280 is a IQ180 and not much more, to pay more than 10k for Wifi isn't a real option for most. I am pretty sure there won't be a real difference between DR or other things... Perhaps as much as there is between some IQ180... So there will be a few IQ280 which show a tiny advantage, but certainly not worth so much money...

So for most IQ180 users it makes no sense, except if they REALLY need the Wifi.

Now the question is for all other users, here I personally would say go with the IQ260 if it is like a P65. I still think my P65 was a lot better than my IQ180 when it comes to light/color leaks problems when it comes to stitching. The 80Mp are just not the best option for panoramic work.

If I could switch back from the IQ180 to a IQ260 I would right away... But you can't really expect making quite a loss.
    Christopher Hauser
    My iPhone / iPad Apps
    http://www.hauser-photoart.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I echo most of what has been said before
    In Hong kong where I am based I can't even , well let's call is cross grade from my 180 to a 260 even if I wanted.
    I don't understand Phase ONE pricing and upgrading policy to be honest
    In the US DT as well as CI seem to be able to give that option but not in Asia. Also 2 years ago my p65+ too 65% off the purchasing price of the then new 180s
    Almost a no brainer I felt, now 2 years later we get to pay 13 k to essentially upgrade our backs to wifi. That's hard to justify IMHO as much as I would love to incorporate this option into my workflow.

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems the IQ280 doesn't have much love.

Too fussy and too expensive to upgrade to......? Has P1 got it wrong with its upgrade pricing this time around and the IQ280 will be a very, very low seller next to the IQ260? Its looking like many 180 user are staying put which can't be good news for P1's profit forecast.

Christopher mentions the 60 Mpix is a better panoramic/stitching back but you would have thought for this purpose the higher resolution of the 180/280 would be ideally suited.

Gerald you produce some whopping panos, how do you feel on the 80 Mpix back as I believe you nodal stitch rather than flat stitch?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 280 seems like the same kind of upgrade thoughts folks had with the 180 from the P65. That one I can understand but like everyone else 180 to 280 is just not enough there to roll the dice on it. Phase is probably looking at it as new buyers and upgrades from the P series.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my own perspective as an Architectural shooter who also uses his gear for personal work.

I became acquainted with the IQ series last year when I taught the Chicago Architecture PODAS. I liked the new UI a lot but the focus masking wasn't working well for me. I wasn't getting critically sharp pictures unless I tethered and viewed the files at 100% (like I normally do).

The IQ 160 is the same sensor as my P65+, so it just didn't make much sense.
    The IQ 180 showed the well documented lens cast issues with wide Schneiders. Also, the sensor is .2mm shorter on the long side than the 60mp sensor. I wasn't willing to give up any of that image area. I really didn't need 80mp files. Also, adding the necessary move to the Rodie 32HR with the upgrade cost just wasn't very appealing.

Last fall I did the Monument Valley PODAS and spent another week with the IQ160. I still really liked the new UI. Jack showed me how to dial in the focus mask to really nail stuff and I came back every day with sharp pictures from my Arca (untethered). That right there had me rethinking the IQ series, I just needed a little push.

iPad previews gave me the push. Long exposures was just icing... Now I can revisit this incomplete series that was all shot on color neg and P45+.

So for me, the 80mp sensor has too many lens limitations. But the IQ 2 UI enhancements are really desirable. The iPad connectivity means I will without reservation shoot at least exteriors untethered. And, given my capture fees, the upgrade cost will pay for itself in about 4 months.

Easy peasy.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there even a downgrade option to IQ260 available for IQ180 user?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been holding my tongue on this one for a while but I am glad to see it being addressed. A few thoughts. It is interesting how many people were adamant about the next IQ backs being CMOS to have live view. Phase releases a back with Wifi and no one is saying a thing. From a business point of view, I think Phase basically just pulled a DF to DF+ move on the digital backs to buy them more time for a future development. Along with that, they have made the IQ180 to IQ280 price extremely unreasonable IMO to make a bigger gap in trade ins for the next generation of backs. As an IQ180 owner, I know I wont be upgrading to the IQ280 but when the IQ380 CMOS comes out, I know Phase will be knocking on my door asking for $20K knowing that my back is 2 generations older. Unfortunately in my book, the Iq180 will be only one generation older knowing that the IQ280 wasn't a real upgrade. A little disappointed on future trade in values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well you kind of hit the crux of the matter. I was expecting CMOS and live view. If I still had my 160 I would skip this one myselfsure would love wifi and long exposure but to make a leap I would want a much bigger jump up. That's me though and I loved the 160 files and really never had any bitch about my back not being feature rich already. I'm just sad I'm out of the game for awhile now. I had to sell and after another medical event in January for my wife and out of network insurance maybe next year.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as I love photography, you made the right decision Guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Now what if:

A iq260 user in 6 months all of a sudden want to go for 80 mp and offers an upgrade option for say 9000 cash plus iq180. That's 5000 less than the official cross grade. Would any iq 180 users go for it? Assuming the back is in like new condition. Just trying to find that theoretical sweet spot at where an iq180 user would be willing to upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems the IQ280 doesn't have much love.

Too fussy and too expensive to upgrade to......? Has P1 got it wrong with its upgrade pricing this time around and the IQ280 will be a very, very low seller next to the IQ260? Its looking like many 180 user are staying put which can't be good news for P1's profit forecast.

Christopher mentions the 60 Mpix is a better panoramic/stitching back but you would have thought for this purpose the higher resolution of the 180/280 would be ideally suited.

Gerald you produce some whopping panos, how do you feel on the 80 Mpix back as I believe you nodal stitch rather than flat stitch?
    I love the 80MP. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned

(I flat stitch, nodal stitch, and a combination of the two at times.)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me, the upgrade price would have to be about 4k or less to get me to switch to the 280 from the 180. It is the worth of the wifi to me alone. I understand this may not be a reasonable number to phase, but i have to write the check and the functional difference is too small for the asking price now.I also didn't upgrade to the DF+ for 3-4 k and will wait for the next one I think.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scatesmd View Post
    For me, the upgrade price would have to be about 4k or less to get me to switch to the 280 from the 180. It is the worth of the wifi to me alone. I understand this may not be a reasonable number to phase, but i have to write the check and the functional difference is too small for the asking price now.I also didn't upgrade to the DF+ for 3-4 k and will wait for the next one I think.
    That would probably nail it for me too.

At the end of the day, if someone gave me $13K on the proviso it could only be spent on gear, I'd buy more lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes interesting reading.

So of all the IQ180 owners who, if the price was of no concern/cheap enough would cross grade to the IQ280 or prefer to go to the IQ260 and why?

The dealers are telling us the IQ260 will be by far the most popular back for up graders/new users. Current 180 owners are sitting tight due to poor value. Are we to expect a price shift to get the up grades going in the near future or is there a new CMOS chip around the corner and the 260 revenue is enough for Phase for now?

I think the new IQ2 is a great upgrade but I'm coming from a P+ back so I can understand some current IQ users had wished for more or better deals.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 60 megapixels 6 um is a nice sweet-spot, probably many P65+ users thought that too (plus tech cam users like the lower color cast issues), but upgrade policies was pointing towards IQ180. The upgrade policies is a sweet way for Phase to be able to steer the market in the direction they want.

Post Thanks / Like

So of all the IQ180 owners who, if the price was of no concern/cheap enough would cross grade to the IQ280 or prefer to go to the IQ260 and why?

The dealers are telling us the IQ260 will be by far the most popular back for up graders/new users. Current 180 owners are sitting tight due to poor value. Are we to expect a price shift to get the up grades going in the near future or is there a new CMOS chip around the corner and the 260 revenue is enough for Phase for now?

I think the new IQ2 is a great upgrade but I'm coming from a P+ back so I can understand some current IQ users had wished for more or better deals.
    I can't believe for one moment Phase One would release a new series of CCD backs if there was a new CMOS chip "around the corner".

The IQ180 to IQ280 would be a great upgrade if the price was "sensible". You only have to look at the offered trade-in value difference (circa $4.5K) between the IQ180 and P65+, to realise the manipulation that is going on here.

(In order to understand the comparison better, does anyone actually know what the list price of new and pre-owned IQ180's is now? We've been quoted them for the P65+ - now $25K new and $18K pre-owned, but for some reason Phase One, and their dealers, don't like being open about all price points.)

Post Thanks / Like

(In order to understand the comparison better, does anyone actually know what the list price of new and pre-owned IQ180's is now? We've been quoted them for the P65+ - now $25K new and $18K pre-owned, but for some reason Phase One, and their dealers, don't like being open about all price points.)
    Every time I send an email about IQ series prices to any Phase One dealer, I get exact price list. I never had a problem with finding out the prices. You just have to ask them, it's some kind of Phase One policy not to list all of the prices on websites. Once you get used to it, it's not annoying anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

The IQ180 to IQ280 would be a great upgrade if the price was "sensible". You only have to look at the offered trade-in value difference (circa $4.5K) between the IQ180 and P65+, to realise the manipulation that is going on here.
    I don't think the original prices quoted on this site are correct and Phase has increased the upgrade cost considerably.

As your example, the difference in trading up to an IQ280 from a P65+ and IQ180 is now aprox $10.5K.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The number of clients I've worked with that need (or even want/use) a full hour long exposure is vanishingly small.

However, an hour long exposure which is usable implies several minute long exposures which are exceptional.

Or put differently:
    - with an IQ180/280 at 2 minutes @ ISO35 you are pushing the system to it's limit
    - with an IQ260 at 2 minutes @ ISO140 you're just getting started using it's capacity
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think the original prices quoted on this site are correct and Phase has increased the upgrade cost considerably.
    This, and several other reasons, are why you see a hesitancy to post pricing in-thread.

Whether because of a typo (on our end or Phase's), a change mid-year to account for currency valuation changes, a promotion, or whatever, pricing can change. When people see a price on a thread they often (usually?) assume it's correct/current. Last week I had someone call the office regarding the "crazy price" of the P45+ only to find out he was looking at a thread from 2008 (things have changed a bit since then ).

Pricing is not secretive or difficult to get. Give us a call or shoot us an email and we will give you pricing for absolutely anything you want. Usually instantly, otherwise within a few hours, with the only exception being right after major launches when it might take 24 hours because we are still getting clarification on the pricing for various trade-in, bundle, purchase option (all the headache stuff that makes me glad I'm in the tech side and not the sales side!).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

As your example, the difference in trading up to an IQ280 from a P65+ and IQ180 is now aprox $10.5K.
    Really?

So whereas this post here states that P65+>IQ280 is $17.5K, it's actually more like $23.5K?

No wonder dealers don't like quoting prices if they get them so spectacularly wrong. There has been no correction to that post, nor comment in the thread that it's so far out.

Poor show.

Just publish the full price list on the websites and be done with it. I fail to see how this deliberate obfuscation helps anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Really?

So whereas this post here states that P65+>IQ280 is $17.5K, it's actually more like $23.5K?

No wonder dealers don't like quoting prices if they get them so spectacularly wrong. There has been no correction to that post, nor comment in the thread that it's so far out.

Poor show.

Just publish the full price list on the websites and be done with it. I fail to see how this deliberate obfuscation helps anyone.
    Gerald, don't get me started on that one but yes, hopelessly wrong unless you ordered in the first 24 - 48 hours and lived in the USA.

Still steaming about it actually but water under the bridge now and can't do anything about it!

However, this thread is not about that sore subject and something I'm sure dealers want to avoid talking about at product launches.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Guy hit the nail on the head: IQ280 is aimed at new MFDB buyers (who would otherwise be purchasing the IQ180) and upgraders from the P series. I'm sitting this round out. But for every P series MFDB user, Dante is knocking at your door.

If you need/want the extra megapixels and ISO35, the IQ280 is the MFDB to get.

If you need/want long exposure capabilities, the IQ260 is the MFDB to get.

The cream on the cake is that the IQ260 is a new sensor, so presumably has smidge better DR (than the P65+ sensor) and gets you into IQ180/IQ280 territory. What's not to like?

The other thing to consider that is oft forgotten, is anyone that upgrades gets a new MFDB----with a new warranty. And that does have value.

For me, all those nice things about the IQ2 series are great---but not at the current price trade point, and most importantly, nothing that benefits me for my workflow or image making. (Yeah, that Acromatic would be nice though...but that's not included in this discussion )

And maybe I'm just lucky (check Guy's history with MFDBs too) but every Phase One MFDB I've owned has been rock solid (knock on wood!) with zero issues or need for warranty work. P30, P45+, P65+, IQ180.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    (Yeah, that Acromatic would be nice though...but that's not included in this discussion )

ken
    I am jonesin for that back too... but then I'd spend all my free time shooting rocks and sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whats wrong with sand and rocks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue to me is residual value, the IQ160 just took a huge hit, the IQ180, not anywhere as much. As the owner of a IQ160 I am glad an option was made to get to a IQ260, it's still a leap, but over 5 years should balance out. For me the big question is how will this new chip on the 260 perform at base iso and up to 400. This is where I tend to be in the field. Can they get more room in the shadows past where the 160 will go now, which I feel is on average about 1 3/4's of a stop to 2.

When Phase One comes out with a CMOS back I agree it will be a game changer, but I don't think you will see it first at 80MP. If you follow the companies making chips which gets fewer each year (as far as MFD) not too many have chip fab design that reach MFD. The market seems to be Sony, Canon, Dalsa and the new addition of the Italian company that Nikon seems to be slated to move to. I am sure I missed a few, but these four companies seem to have the lion's share right now. Canon has patents for a chip in size of a MFD back, but I don't think it's ever been produced. I don't know of Dalsa has a CMOS fab line or not. I have not seen any Sony literature which has mentioned a CMOS chip of the size needed by MF.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebe View Post
    Whats wrong with sand and rocks?
    Absolutely nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    For me the big question is how will this new chip on the 260 perform at base iso and up to 400. This is where I tend to be in the field. Can they get more room in the shadows past where the 160 will go now, which I feel is on average about 1 3/4's of a stop to 2.l
    Don't recall ever seing a test of this but is an IQ180 (280) better in this regard or does the lower base ISO make it worse?

Seem to remember users saying the files were smoother at base ISO than the 160 but not sure as the ISO climbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel IQ160 to IQ260 upgrade cost is very unreasonable (to me at least). I didn't celebrate first anniversary of my IQ160 yet, and IQ160 --> IQ260 upgrade price is $14K, just for long exposure and Wi-Fi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scatesmd View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all honesty the IQ 160 is a great back and I know a lot of folks that I recommended to buy that back. I still stand behind that. The new backs to me in a lot of ways are you really need the new features to upgrade and/or your coming in new and you jump on the latest generation. But guys sitting on value added warranties and still have 3 years to go before they run out should hold onto them until only one or two years are left to go . To me it gives you the value you invested and also gives you the resale power of selling with warranty. This is what every IQ series 1 owner needs to consider. Im all for upgrading and such but it needs to make financial sense and more important a use feature that you really want be it long exposures, wifi etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

just thinking out loud...

I've not had my IQ160 a year yet and there's no friggin way I'd part with it just get longer exposures and Wifi; neither of which I really need. I decided to switch from my P65+ only after Guy sold his IQ160 and ended up getting it so it's staying within 100 miles of the original owner. The IQ160 is perfect for my purposes.

Actually I'm glad Phase introduced the IQ2 as this ends up saving me money as there's nothing I want or need. What I'm waiting for is the long overdue new 645 body which if it covers just 1/2 of what I'd like it to be then I'll be knitting that mask.

At one time I thought 80 megapixels was what I wanted/needed however 60 is more than enough and so much easier to work with while allowing me to continue to print the sizes I normally do.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like things within arms length. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    At one time I thought 80 megapixels was what I wanted/needed however 60 is more than enough and so much easier to work with while allowing me to continue to print the sizes I normally do.
    Don, I thought you were all set to upgrade to the 80 Mpix back as you were switching lenses etc. I honestly thought the IQ2 would have been the incentive but you've decided to stay put......

The more I read and talk to people, for some reason it seem the new backs have caused a shift in peoples aspirations. Once it was 80 Mpix or why bother, but now we're all happy shooting 60 again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it were a free upgrade, I'd move to the 280 from the 180, but the 280 doesn't offer enough to pay to upgrade. I think the 280 is more about something evolving, and is more of a replacement product. Not much to talk about because it's not really new. The 260 really has the only significant new technology. (now give me live view wireless to the iPad mini with the 280 and I'd probably feel much differently).

I'm not interested in the 260, for the very rare times I need long exposures I use my backup kit, d800e with zeiss glass. I don't use a tech camera (didn't like the shooting process) so I don't have many issues with the back.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, I thought you were all set to upgrade to the 80 Mpix back as you were switching lenses etc. I honestly thought the IQ2 would have been the incentive but you've decided to stay put......

The more I read and talk to people, for some reason it seem the new backs have caused a shift in peoples aspirations. Once it was 80 Mpix or why bother, but now we're all happy shooting 60 again.
    I was happy with 40mpx BUT the crop factor finally got under my skin with the DF . I know the saying is go big or go home. I think we all have gone through this process and realized overall 60 is the spot for many of us and trying to stay in some type if budget range. The 180 WAS the best deal to upgrade too from the P65 and a lot of people jumped all over it and at the time made the most sense of value more than sheer MPX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the Phase backs and systems but buying them you really need to do the math and find the best value and more importantly find the best upgradable back for the future. Yes there is a method to Dante's inferno. Don't touch the flame but stay warm. Lol

FYi your spouse is the fire extinguisher .

These are the rules to dance in the inferno. LOL

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Every time I use the IQ140, I wish it were an IQ160. I can't help it, I'm an area snob. I have no 80MP lust at all. I just want the damn mm^2.

(and so far, no one has mentioned an upgrade price from THAT back. La la la, I can't heeeear you....)

--Matt