The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the IQ280 ?

gazwas

So last time around the IQ180 was the must have back and the lowly IQ160 was just a P65+ dressed in underwear. Everyone was 80Mpix this - more DR that but now it seems the IQ280 almost doesn't exist..... :cry:

Are IQ180 owners that fed up with 80Mpix and lens cast issues that they want the new IQ260 or are they all just smitten with their 180's? From looking at the fun with tech and MF camera threads long exposures are not all that popular so why all the hurry to get 1Hr long exposures on the 260? The P45+ did 1Hr just fine but you don't see many long exposure pictures shot with them.

On release of the IQ260 will every picture posted be 1Hr long?

What a difference 25 months makes........

Personally I'm looking forward to shooting interiors with 12 stops ND just to add billable hours to every shoot!

Um... just kidding, clients

RVB

So last time around the IQ180 was the must have back and the lowly IQ160 was just a P65+ dressed in underwear. Everyone was 80Mpix this - more DR that but now it seems the IQ280 almost doesn't exist..... :cry:

Are IQ180 owners that fed up with 80Mpix and lens cast issues that they want the new IQ260 or are they all just smitten with their 180's? From looking at the fun with tech and MF camera threads long exposures are not all that popular so why all the hurry to get 1Hr long exposures on the 260? The P45+ did 1Hr just fine but you don't see many long exposure pictures shot with them.

On release of the IQ260 will every picture posted be 1Hr long?

What a difference 25 months makes........
I guess it's just nice to have the option.. alternative is buy a D800E for the long exposure shots or a used P45 and hang on to the current back..

gerald.d

I think part of the problem here is that the trade-in value to swap a 180 for the 280 is not exactly attractive...

gerald.d

(To put it into perspective, I've been quoted $13K for the upgrade.

Do you think there's $13K of added value there?)

gazwas

(To put it into perspective, I've been quoted $13K for the upgrade.

Do you think there's $13K of added value there?)
OK the 180 crowd are not offered much in the way of value or features stepping up to the 280 but what about all the P45, P40, P65, IQ140, IQ160 owners who last time thought the IQ180 was the big daddy are now only looking in envy at the 260?

I don't think I seen a single mention of someone upgrading to a 280 but plenty of 260's.

I'm in the same boat a - P65 shooter lookig at a 260 but why? I don't think i've ever shot more than about a 30 second exposure with my back and mostly in the >10sec region.

Why all of a sudden are 80Mpix not the must have thing?

kdphotography

The biggest difference that last time around was the move to a different interface. The jump from the P65+ (and her cousins) to the new IQ series screen was major. Sure, the added megapixels were nice, but the IQ screen, focus mask, 100% zoom, etc. in terms of usability was the prime motivator (at least it was for me). That---and the the upgrade/trade-in incentive was pretty attractive, to the point that a cross platform trade-in to the IQ160 didn't make sense. To be honest most were totally happy with 60MP and didn't need more. But Phase really wanted to get the IQ180 out into the hands of photographers, imho. And that was a smart move by Phase.

60MP and a FF sensor is the sweet spot today. The IQ260 offers a lot---all with a new sensor too. Sure 80MP is still the flagship, and I really don't see lens cast as an issue, unless you insist on using older lenses not up to the task. Nothing throwing more money at can't solve... :rolleyes:

For those where WiFi is a must-have, or using that iPad mini is important, the upgrade will make sense. The stated uptick in DR is still to be seen and/or proven, and I doubt it's going to be noticeable being that the IQ180 and IQ280 share the same chip.

$13K to upgrade? Not for this IQ180 user. I'm totally happy with the IQ180, especially with the Cambo. DF is good, but I'm waiting...:angel: I just don't think I'd appreciate the new IQ280 offerings in my workflow. I'm more apt to spend money on a new Phase body if it ever arrives or a new lens.

But I'm real excited and happy for those that are upgrading to the IQ260 and IQ280. I'd love to see the IQ260 Achromatic----I want to print some images on my K7 B&W piezography printer! It's a great time to be a gear slut in Dante's Inferno... :D

ken

gazwas

That---and the the upgrade/trade-in incentive was pretty attractive, to the point that a cross platform trade-in to the IQ160 didn't make sense. To be honest most were totally happy with 60MP and didn't need more. But Phase really wanted to get the IQ180 out into the hands of photographers, imho. And that was a smart move by Phase.
I've sort of lost track of the differences but I thought that was the case still today? For a P65+ user the difference to upgrade to a IQ280 is not that much different to an cross grade to the IQ260 but still people want IQ260's.

Does it all boil down to the fact its something new the others don't have?

If Phase put a bell on it and a go faster stripe and called it the IQ280TurboS would we flock in our droves.......

"Woooo a bell and stripes!"

gazwas

Gareth, that's just silly.

Unless the bell is Titanium??!!!
I'm not so sure and I'm starting to question my reasoning for a 260 over the 280.

Take yourself Chris.... We have all seen you beautiful architectural work but can't recall an instance where an exposure of 1Hr would have been beneficial to your work. You have reported looking at the IQ and loving it but never upgraded so what was your rational to pull the trigger on the 260 over the IQ1XX?

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Gareth,

I pretty much agree with Ken on your question.

I use the 180 on the DF and an Arca tech cam and I am happy with the results. Like Ken, I am awaiting what I hope will be a major upgrade to the DF.

The upgrade to the 280 is too expensive from the 180. Although I can see why wireless could be great with the tech cam, it is not worth 13K to me when I will be owning the same chip as the 180. Also, the difference in costs to upgrade from a P65+ to a 280 is only about 4 K more than the upgrade from the 180. Is the IQ180 really worth just 4k more than a P65+?

I had a P45+ and miss the long exposures, so I see the appeal to the new 60 MP back, but realistically it would not be used in that fashion often enough to trade my back in for that one.

In summary, I don't think there is good value in the trade up for me, as it is essentially 13 k for wireless in the back. I am happy enough with the 180 as is.

Thanks Steve

Christopher

Well, to be honest the IQ280 is a IQ180 and not much more, to pay more than 10k for Wifi isn't a real option for most. I am pretty sure there won't be a real difference between DR or other things... Perhaps as much as there is between some IQ180... So there will be a few IQ280 which show a tiny advantage, but certainly not worth so much money...

So for most IQ180 users it makes no sense, except if they REALLY need the Wifi.

Now the question is for all other users, here I personally would say go with the IQ260 if it is like a P65. I still think my P65 was a lot better than my IQ180 when it comes to light/color leaks problems when it comes to stitching. The 80Mp are just not the best option for panoramic work.

If I could switch back from the IQ180 to a IQ260 I would right away... But you can't really expect making quite a loss.

rupho

I echo most of what has been said before
In Hong kong where I am based I can't even , well let's call is cross grade from my 180 to a 260 even if I wanted.
I don't understand Phase ONE pricing and upgrading policy to be honest
In the US DT as well as CI seem to be able to give that option but not in Asia. Also 2 years ago my p65+ too 65% off the purchasing price of the then new 180s
Almost a no brainer I felt, now 2 years later we get to pay 13 k to essentially upgrade our backs to wifi. That's hard to justify IMHO as much as I would love to incorporate this option into my workflow.

gazwas

So it seems the IQ280 doesn't have much love.

Too fussy and too expensive to upgrade to......? Has P1 got it wrong with its upgrade pricing this time around and the IQ280 will be a very, very low seller next to the IQ260? Its looking like many 180 user are staying put which can't be good news for P1's profit forecast.

Christopher mentions the 60 Mpix is a better panoramic/stitching back but you would have thought for this purpose the higher resolution of the 180/280 would be ideally suited.

Gerald you produce some whopping panos, how do you feel on the 80 Mpix back as I believe you nodal stitch rather than flat stitch?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 280 seems like the same kind of upgrade thoughts folks had with the 180 from the P65. That one I can understand but like everyone else 180 to 280 is just not enough there to roll the dice on it. Phase is probably looking at it as new buyers and upgrades from the P series.

Here's my own perspective as an Architectural shooter who also uses his gear for personal work.

I became acquainted with the IQ series last year when I taught the Chicago Architecture PODAS. I liked the new UI a lot but the focus masking wasn't working well for me. I wasn't getting critically sharp pictures unless I tethered and viewed the files at 100% (like I normally do).

The IQ 160 is the same sensor as my P65+, so it just didn't make much sense.
The IQ 180 showed the well documented lens cast issues with wide Schneiders. Also, the sensor is .2mm shorter on the long side than the 60mp sensor. I wasn't willing to give up any of that image area. I really didn't need 80mp files. Also, adding the necessary move to the Rodie 32HR with the upgrade cost just wasn't very appealing.

Last fall I did the Monument Valley PODAS and spent another week with the IQ160. I still really liked the new UI. Jack showed me how to dial in the focus mask to really nail stuff and I came back every day with sharp pictures from my Arca (untethered). That right there had me rethinking the IQ series, I just needed a little push.

iPad previews gave me the push. Long exposures was just icing... Now I can revisit this incomplete series that was all shot on color neg and P45+.

So for me, the 80mp sensor has too many lens limitations. But the IQ 2 UI enhancements are really desirable. The iPad connectivity means I will without reservation shoot at least exteriors untethered. And, given my capture fees, the upgrade cost will pay for itself in about 4 months.

Easy peasy.

markymarkrb

I've been holding my tongue on this one for a while but I am glad to see it being addressed. A few thoughts. It is interesting how many people were adamant about the next IQ backs being CMOS to have live view. Phase releases a back with Wifi and no one is saying a thing. From a business point of view, I think Phase basically just pulled a DF to DF+ move on the digital backs to buy them more time for a future development. Along with that, they have made the IQ180 to IQ280 price extremely unreasonable IMO to make a bigger gap in trade ins for the next generation of backs. As an IQ180 owner, I know I wont be upgrading to the IQ280 but when the IQ380 CMOS comes out, I know Phase will be knocking on my door asking for $20K knowing that my back is 2 generations older. Unfortunately in my book, the Iq180 will be only one generation older knowing that the IQ280 wasn't a real upgrade. A little disappointed on future trade in values.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you kind of hit the crux of the matter. I was expecting CMOS and live view. If I still had my 160 I would skip this one myselfsure would love wifi and long exposure but to make a leap I would want a much bigger jump up. That's me though and I loved the 160 files and really never had any bitch about my back not being feature rich already. I'm just sad I'm out of the game for awhile now. I had to sell and after another medical event in January for my wife and out of network insurance maybe next year.