The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which tripod

Paratom

I want a tripod which works well for my Hy6-system, and also ocassionally for my D3 (biggest/longest lens would be the 200/2.0VR + TC however I use it mainly handheld) - so main use for Hy6.
Main use for landscape stuff.

I am not sure to either go:
2542 or 2531-explorer (would give me some flexibility for Macro things or also for eventually repro)

3541L or 3541 XLS: more stable, in case of the 3541 XLS even high enough to use without middle extension, but I find it pretty long to carry around (I like hiking)

Head I thought to go for the 2780.

Do you think the 2 serious is fine or should I go for a 3-series tripod?

Any experience regarding the head?

Thanks for any ideas or feedback, Tom

carstenw

Somewhere in your post it should probably say "Gitzo" ;)

While I love the Gitzos, the Berlebachs always seem to score better in those tests where they attach a laser pointer to the bottom of the head/column, pointing down, and record the pattern when the floor/tripod is bumped...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tom as far as the legs I use the 2541L and it seems to be just fine with MF gear but Jack uses the 3 series I think it is the 3541 XLS . Jack is much taller than me to start and his tripod is very nice but certainly bigger than mine. There is also a hook on mine at the bottom of the column to attach a bag or a weight if needed . I never used it myself but sometimes I do feel light in the shoes although it never let me down either. There light because of the carbon fiber and I think that is deceiving because you would think heavier would be better. Here sometimes going to a store and feeling the difference may not be a bad idea but seriously have not had any trouble with the 2541L .

Now the heads the Gitzo 2780 I have and can't recommend enough it may even hold me. LOL I have the one with a center thread and bought a RRS pano head for it. Best setup I ever had and i had all the RRS ball heads at one time. Here is exactly my setup

Gitzo tripod this one is not the L , not sure why it is not listed but here is the normal one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567541-REG/Gitzo_GT2541_GT2541_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html

Ball head http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562408-REG/Gitzo_GH2780_GH2780_Center_Ballhead_.html

RRS Pano clamp http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=PCL-1&eq=&Tp=

Guy Mancuso

Tom one thing , if you are using the WLF on the camera than you need to be above the camera to view so your tripod will most always be lower than you so you can see down into the WLF. With a 45 or 90 degree finder you are more level with the camera. This is one reason i don't care for WLF is if your short than it is hard to get tall with your tripod without a step stool or something like that. So something just to keep in mind on what you use and how you work.

Paratom

Tom one thing , if you are using the WLF on the camera than you need to be above the camera to view so your tripod will most always be lower than you so you can see down into the WLF. With a 45 or 90 degree finder you are more level with the camera. This is one reason i don't care for WLF is if your short than it is hard to get tall with your tripod without a step stool or something like that. So something just to keep in mind on what you use and how you work.
Thank you for the help.
I think I should get a tripod which allows to work with both compfortably, WLF as well as normal viewfinder, and yes, for use with WLF I then would not have to fully extend the tripod.
I dont know if the total height difference between WLF and "eyelevel"finder makes a big difference for landscapes, I am tall anyways.
Regards, Tom

Guy Mancuso

Tom for me about a whole foot difference since I need to be pretty well above the waist level to see since I need reading glasses to see the waist level and the finder i don't . Actually just got back from shooting and had to focus , compose than send the camera up over my head to shoot. My Phase body has a cool feature which maybe others as well is that I can use the lock up feature for the mirror hit the button the mirror locks up than hit again with self timer on and put a 3 second delay and it fires which eliminates a cable release or in my case this morning run away from the camera to get my shadow out of the shot. LOL Pretty funny actually having to run away from your camera to get out of the darn way. Anyway just something to think about . I know if i had a WLF i would certainly want a 90 or 45 degree finder as well.

I guess i am vertically challenged at 5'8". LOL

Dale Allyn

Tom, I LOVE my Gitzo 3541 XLS and I hike as well. I do not have a center column and find it tall enough without it. It's not a "back packing" tripod, but is remarkably light. I shoulder it, cradle it, strap it to the pack... whatever. The broad "shoulders" or "boss" is the only size factor in packing for me, in that it's not terribly compact at that area.

Like Guy, I'm very tall (about 5' 8" or so), so the 3541 XLS is perfect. :ROTFL: Actually, for me the real advantage is the long leg reach on steep or rocky ground. I could not be happier.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Hey Tom,
I use the 2541 (or 31, I don't remember) with the Hy6, and find it is enough to keep it steady unless it is very windy, in which case nothing but mass will help you. Generally, I find the best thing is to have two tripods (which I do not at the moment!), one heavy bastard that you can throw in the car or use in the studio -- something that will keep it steady as a rock in all conditions, and then a very light, but still strong tripod like the Gitzo CF models with a RRS BH-40 or similar light, but strong head. They are the ones you will use the most, pack with you and not worry about their weight.

Always keep in mind that a heavy camera and a light tripod, even a very rigid one, can be blown over. I was photographing in Iceland in 50mph wind. I was using a 6008AF and 180mm Tele-Xenar. I figured the camera is so heavy (6 or 7 lbs? Maybe more), there is no way it can blow over. I went to get something from the car and I hear a crashing sound. The camera blew over onto a section of gravel, lens first. Luckily the Rollei stuff is built strong -- no real damage, just some scratches on the lens body.

This was taken at the same time (with an xpan though...).

stephengilbert

Tom,

All things being equal, it's probably better to buy a three segment Gitzo. (I have a GT2530.) The smallest leg segment is beefier, and the tripod is said to be a bit more secure as a result.

Steve

harmsr

Workshop Member
Tom,

All things being equal, it's probably better to buy a three segment Gitzo. (I have a GT2530.) The smallest leg segment is beefier, and the tripod is said to be a bit more secure as a result.

Steve
I also went this route. I am using the GT2530LVL.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to use the last leg fully extended until you need the height. I regularly leave only 6" of the last leg on my 3541XLS out -- to help keep grit out of the other lock mechanisms -- and I can assure you that doesn't decrease the stability of that pod at all. Finally, I submit that the 4th legs on any pod are still going to be more stable than extending a center column...

Dale Allyn

Re. the potential for weakness in a fourth leg section: this has always been a concern of mine in compact tripods, so I paid extra attention to this in my process leading to the purchase of the 3541 XLS. I posted the question in another section here and got good feedback from Jack and others.

First, the last section on the 3541 XLS is not at all spindly. It's larger than some tripods' third section. Second, depending on your "normal" height requirements you may not need to access the last section often (as Jack describes above). I use that section last, but do find that I use it often, especially on uneven terrain. These CF leg sets are so light that the extra weight of that last section is not of consequence to me.

While Jack is a "full-sized" grown-up, I am less so. For me, the 3541 XLS with the first three sections fully extended puts the Mamiya AFD II viewfinder precisely at eye-level (if I don't slouch) when mounted via the RRS BH-55. I love that I can shoot at full height (or over something in the foreground) and still have enough extra leg-length to stabilize if one leg needs additional reach, etc.

A trade-off to consider might be that the collapsed leg-length is a bit longer than some and therefore requires a bit more room when using it in a squat posture. The minimum footprint is a bit wider when used low and wide.

I do have other tripods which are more compact, but this one is now the one that I much prefer to have along. Still, for a hike involving backpacking more than a few miles I would look to smaller, lighter choices.

Each person has different requirements or preferences. If there are specific dimensions of this particular model that you would like to have, feel free to ask. I'll do what I can to measure them for you.

Guy Mancuso

I still have a charmed life when the wind is not out . :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

10 seconds over my head center column extended . But still may get a 3 series anyway for when you run into this stuff. Life is not always this easy

Well off to do more shooting and sunset stuff for this client.

Guy Mancuso

Jack 1.15 Mil and I LIKED this one better. Nice office space

Going to shoot the kitchen and master bath now

Paratom

thank you for all the great feedback.
Like allways in life a compromise to make another time.
I think the 2-serous would work fine but I would feel safer with a 3 serious, but then the 3541xls is quite long when colapsed but then I wouldnt have to use a center column. I am not that concered regarding the 4 sections any more though from what I read.
The 2542 is lighter so I might carry it more often....
I dont think the hot red whine on the christmas market tonight helps to make a decission.
Cheers, Tom