The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storing Equipment

Hi,

I wonder what you forum members use for storing your cameras and lenses? I live in a warm, humid place, and other cameras I've had developed some fungus. I would really prefer that my H4D-50 and several lenses don't do that.

So I wonder what suggestions any of you may have, like particular makes of dry cabinets etc.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Naismith

Bildifokus

I use Peli Case 1510 for my H4D-50, 3 lenses and all necessary equipment like battery, light meter, gray card, extensions tube, filters etc. For day trip I use Think Tank Retroperspective 30.

Jae_Moon

I just use different size of ziplock plastic bags with silica gel packets thrown in for lenses and camera, and keep them in a regular wooden cabinet which is away from both direct sun and the source of humidity. Re-activate silica gel once every 6 months or so by baking them in an oven. Inexpensive but very effective, I think.

JoelM

If you use cases with foam in them, you should be adding a dessicant and check it regularly. The foam contains moisture and will ruin your equipment over the long haul.

Joel

bythewei

Wow I'm surprised. I always thought that dry cabinets were the way to go for photographers all over the world.

Didn't know pelican cases do the trick as well. Any idea where can I find such information to back it up?

The US army uses pelican cases to hold their much more expensive weapons, computer systems, etc. And they bring their pelican cases all over the world. If they trust their equipment in them that costs WELL over the price of our medium format gear, than I am sure your lenses should be OK inside ;)

Wow I'm surprised. I always thought that dry cabinets were the way to go for photographers all over the world.

Didn't know pelican cases do the trick as well. Any idea where can I find such information to back it up?

kdphotography

Pelican cases are indeed very good cases. But I doubt that the US Army uses them for humidity control, but rather protection of equipment during deployments, and more often than admitted---rougher treatment than *ahem* baggage handlers at American Airlines. :)

For storage in more humid environments, it may require a bit more care than just a case with an o-ring. Nothing beats regular use and maintenance of your equipment.

ken

JoelM

I just received a nice Pelican case yesterday and the instructions tell you to use silica pacs and to check them regularly. You'll be recharging them quite a bit in the beginning, but it will slow down after a while.

Joel