The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo GT5562LTS as "everyday" pod

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Gitzo GT5562 LTS as an everyday tripod for a MFDB system (specifically, the 645DF+ with a 45mm, 80mm, and 150mm, and an ArcaSwiss Rm3di).

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. ;)

Mainly for location work.

Specs. say 88lbs, so it "should" handle the weight without problem, but I haven't seen one first-hand, so I can't judge.

Height should be no problem for 99% of my work. For the other 1%, I can use a Manfrotto 161 or studio stand.

gazwas

If you'll be travelling car, setting up then reload the car it will be excellent. If you plan to walk any distance I'd opt for the series 3 or possibly series 4.

The problem with the series 5, especially with the latest triangular top plates is not so much one if weight but the diameter of the top casing is very wide and makes it impossible to pack down small. They are very bulky regardless of leg length.

Series 3 and 4 have the same top casing but series 4 have thicker leg tubes. The top cading is still large but much easier to manage.

Shashin

I think it is a bit overkill, especially if you are going to carry it. I use an old Manfrotto Carbone 441 tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 head for a Pentax 645D with 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses.

gazwas

I use an old Manfrotto Carbone 441 tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 head for a Pentax 645D with 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses.
How do you find the P0. I'm just about to order a slidefix version for my Rm3di and would love to know what you think.

Shashin

I really like my P0. It is compact and light and holds its load very well. Like any ball head that has a slit for movement, it does have that thing where you have to make sure you are tilting it in the right way, but the panning lever is on the opposite side of the tilt direction, you soon learn to find it. I love the panning top. And because the locking ring circles the head, you don't need to search for which side of the head the release is on. This also makes the profile very nice--the only thing that sticks out is the panning release lever.

I suppose the biggest appeal of the GT5562LTS is its compact collapsed length, combined with its massive (overkill) max load, but really, a 4 or 3 series of the same pod would be just fine.

I'm currently using an older Manfrotto 055 (alu), and I really find it to be too flimsy for this setup.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Love my 3542XLS. Tall enough, strong enough, and (barely) light enough to carry anywhere with Cube on top. I had the 3-section legs, but they just weren't tall enough for uneven ground. Not that small collapsed, but then, the 5-seris collapsed is still very wide.

--Matt

jagsiva

After a lot of thought on upgrading my Gitzo 1548 (similar weight/size to the new 55xx series) I ended up with an RRS 24 and 34L and they are much lighter, and compact (top plate) then the 5 series Gitzo -- especially if you're looking for portability.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems like my fellow MF shooters are all lightweights! I personally use the 5561SGT as my every day tripod. Yes, it is heavy but then again I hate finding myself in situations where I wish I had one longer leg to compensate for being on a hill etc. Also, I don't mind the mini workout and it's really not THAT bad.

However, each to their own. When I fly I'm more inclined to take my regular RRS TVC33. I always also take along my Feisol CT3441T since I always have 2 cameras. If it's a lightweight outfit then only the Feisol comes along.

Last edited:

gazwas

Seems like my fellow MF shooters are all lightweights! I personally use the 5561SGT as my every day tripod.
Graham, you are just hard core!

The difference between the 055 (great tripod IMO) and a Series 5 "Giant" is quite significant. The picture below is the 055 XPRO next to my latest version of the tripod Graham mentions.

gazwas

And this images doesn't really do the difference justice but the top casings are a lot larger on the Series 5.

GrahamWelland

Graham, you are just hard core!

The difference between the 055 (great tripod IMO) and a Series 5 "Giant" is quite significant.
Well, I figure that if I'm going to stick $50k worth of gear on top of anything then it may as well be the biggest, baddest, most stable platform that I can afford.

The gruesome twosome :grin:

Btw, I was quite serious about the workout. I have to follow a strict exercise regimen and I don't mind the calorie burn that lugging this thing around helps with. That said, as you know, it's not the lightest svelte tripod and so I would concede that it's not for everyone. Personally, I think that it's worth the effort and compared to my camera bag it's relatively lightweight :bugeyes:

The RRS is just as stable btw and noticeably lighter. Well, it is unless you stick a B1G on it :ROTFL: :facesmack:

GrahamWelland

And this images doesn't really do the difference justice but the top casings are a lot larger on the Series 5.

Also of note is that the leg diameters are much larger with the giant too. Even though it's all carbon fibre in the legs, all those leg segments add up. Part of the weight distribution difference is also the cast top plate too - I don't know if the newer tripod is better balanced or not but I certainly notice the top heavy feeling of my 5561SGT vs the smaller series tripods which have a better ratio of leg / top weight I think. The RRS tripod's machined aluminium head feels lighter also compared to my 5 series.

gazwas

Graham, I think the new triangular top plate is actually a little heavier than old but the new design does add a lot more stability IMO and don't find it top heavy. I actually think it is better balanced than the 4 section Series 3 pictured.

I have purchased the leg reducers for my Series 5 and turned it into a Series 5 XLS (of sort) that saves some weight and gets you tall enough for 95% of every shoot but the extra legs sections are easily replaceable when needed. I personally love the modular design of the Gitzo over the competition as can be seen in these pictures with column and levelling head are amongst the many accessories I use. Additionally as the Gitzo is such a old system, accessories from many years previous can still be used and picked up used quite easily and cheaply.

I have the 5542 and use it where ever I can for MF and 10x8. It's much more than enough as the intention was to mount a cross-beam to put a laptop for live view (on advice from Drew Gardner at Phase who loves the 5562), I can't remember why I opted for 42 now, but there was some reason. Anyhow lovely tripods, bulky, although not excessively heavy.