Site Sponsors

Thread: Gitzo GT5562LTS as "everyday" pod

Post Thanks / Like

Gitzo GT5562LTS as "everyday" pod

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Gitzo GT5562 LTS as an everyday tripod for a MFDB system (specifically, the 645DF+ with a 45mm, 80mm, and 150mm, and an ArcaSwiss Rm3di).
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gitzo GT5562LTS as "everyday" pod

Depends what you mean by everyday.

Studio, location, landscape, architecture etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And who's going to carry it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Mainly for location work.

Specs. say 88lbs, so it "should" handle the weight without problem, but I haven't seen one first-hand, so I can't judge.

Height should be no problem for 99% of my work. For the other 1%, I can use a Manfrotto 161 or studio stand.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    And who's going to carry it.
    About half the time, I'm a one-man operation (which is why I'm looking at something compact.).
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll be travelling car, setting up then reload the car it will be excellent. If you plan to walk any distance I'd opt for the series 3 or possibly series 4.

The problem with the series 5, especially with the latest triangular top plates is not so much one if weight but the diameter of the top casing is very wide and makes it impossible to pack down small. They are very bulky regardless of leg length.

Series 3 and 4 have the same top casing but series 4 have thicker leg tubes. The top cading is still large but much easier to manage.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is a bit overkill, especially if you are going to carry it. I use an old Manfrotto Carbone 441 tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 head for a Pentax 645D with 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I use an old Manfrotto Carbone 441 tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 head for a Pentax 645D with 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses.
    How do you find the P0. I'm just about to order a slidefix version for my Rm3di and would love to know what you think.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really like my P0. It is compact and light and holds its load very well. Like any ball head that has a slit for movement, it does have that thing where you have to make sure you are tilting it in the right way, but the panning lever is on the opposite side of the tilt direction, you soon learn to find it. I love the panning top. And because the locking ring circles the head, you don't need to search for which side of the head the release is on. This also makes the profile very nice--the only thing that sticks out is the panning release lever.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the biggest appeal of the GT5562LTS is its compact collapsed length, combined with its massive (overkill) max load, but really, a 4 or 3 series of the same pod would be just fine.

I'm currently using an older Manfrotto 055 (alu), and I really find it to be too flimsy for this setup.
    J R

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love my 3542XLS. Tall enough, strong enough, and (barely) light enough to carry anywhere with Cube on top. I had the 3-section legs, but they just weren't tall enough for uneven ground. Not that small collapsed, but then, the 5-seris collapsed is still very wide.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

19" / 50cm is a great feature for me.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a lot of thought on upgrading my Gitzo 1548 (similar weight/size to the new 55xx series) I ended up with an RRS 24 and 34L and they are much lighter, and compact (top plate) then the 5 series Gitzo -- especially if you're looking for portability.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like my fellow MF shooters are all lightweights! I personally use the 5561SGT as my every day tripod. Yes, it is heavy but then again I hate finding myself in situations where I wish I had one longer leg to compensate for being on a hill etc. Also, I don't mind the mini workout and it's really not THAT bad.

However, each to their own. When I fly I'm more inclined to take my regular RRS TVC33. I always also take along my Feisol CT3441T since I always have 2 cameras. If it's a lightweight outfit then only the Feisol comes along.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 16th March 2013 at 21:08.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Seems like my fellow MF shooters are all lightweights! I personally use the 5561SGT as my every day tripod.
    Graham, you are just hard core!

The difference between the 055 (great tripod IMO) and a Series 5 "Giant" is quite significant. The picture below is the 055 XPRO next to my latest version of the tripod Graham mentions.

Post Thanks / Like

And this images doesn't really do the difference justice but the top casings are a lot larger on the Series 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Graham, you are just hard core!

The difference between the 055 (great tripod IMO) and a Series 5 "Giant" is quite significant.
    Well, I figure that if I'm going to stick $50k worth of gear on top of anything then it may as well be the biggest, baddest, most stable platform that I can afford.

The gruesome twosome

Btw, I was quite serious about the workout. I have to follow a strict exercise regimen and I don't mind the calorie burn that lugging this thing around helps with. That said, as you know, it's not the lightest svelte tripod and so I would concede that it's not for everyone. Personally, I think that it's worth the effort and compared to my camera bag it's relatively lightweight

The RRS is just as stable btw and noticeably lighter. Well, it is unless you stick a B1G on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    And this images doesn't really do the difference justice but the top casings are a lot larger on the Series 5.

Also of note is that the leg diameters are much larger with the giant too. Even though it's all carbon fibre in the legs, all those leg segments add up. Part of the weight distribution difference is also the cast top plate too - I don't know if the newer tripod is better balanced or not but I certainly notice the top heavy feeling of my 5561SGT vs the smaller series tripods which have a better ratio of leg / top weight I think. The RRS tripod's machined aluminium head feels lighter also compared to my 5 series.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, I think the new triangular top plate is actually a little heavier than old but the new design does add a lot more stability IMO and don't find it top heavy. I actually think it is better balanced than the 4 section Series 3 pictured.

I have purchased the leg reducers for my Series 5 and turned it into a Series 5 XLS (of sort) that saves some weight and gets you tall enough for 95% of every shoot but the extra legs sections are easily replaceable when needed. I personally love the modular design of the Gitzo over the competition as can be seen in these pictures with column and levelling head are amongst the many accessories I use. Additionally as the Gitzo is such a old system, accessories from many years previous can still be used and picked up used quite easily and cheaply.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 5542 and use it where ever I can for MF and 10x8. It's much more than enough as the intention was to mount a cross-beam to put a laptop for live view (on advice from Drew Gardner at Phase who loves the 5562), I can't remember why I opted for 42 now, but there was some reason. Anyhow lovely tripods, bulky, although not excessively heavy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, but are you trekking with your tripods? Say carrying them for 6–8 hours over 8–10 miles over not flat terrain. Now I am fairly heathy, I can lift a full glass of beer to my lips with one hand all night long, but I am not sure I could carry your gear all day AND still take photographs.

Last edited by Shashin; 17th March 2013 at 09:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, I'm looking at the LTS, not the SGT giant.

I honestly don't really care about weight. I've carried the Manfrotto 058 out on jobs plenty of times. I just want a compact size and great stability at full height.

To that end, the Foba Asnio and some combitubes might be a possibility, but not all that flexible. Novoflex also has an interesting tripod and quadropod that come apart and would travel compactly.

I have seriously thought about the SGT giant, but figured that unless I also carry a ladder, the extra height is useless to me (I don't need THAT much extra length for uneven ground).
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRBERNSTEIN View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm looking at the LTS, not the SGT giant.

I honestly don't really care about weight. I've carried the Manfrotto 058 out on jobs plenty of times. I just want a compact size and great stability at full height.
    We know you are looking at the LTS. The point we are trying to make to you is regardless of leg length folded, the Series 5 Gitzo is far from compact due to its top plate design.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gareth...just making sure.

...nothing perfect.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

i'm using a GT3541LS... the nice thing about it : systematic !
    this means that you can use just a flat platform sometimes, or a geared column, or a rapid column... depends on application !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    i'm using a GT3541LS... the nice thing about it : systematic !
    this means that you can use just a flat platform sometimes, or a geared column, or a rapid column... depends on application !
    I agree completely. You're buying into a "system". That's one reason I haven't really looked at RRS pods.

Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Foba are great for that.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the 5562LTS choice what are your criteria for that particular tripod?

The series 5 will hold as big a load as you can stick on it although it would not be my choice if you are using all 6 leg segments in normal use. When extended, the bottom leg in particular is basically a thin series 0/1 and isn't really fully rigid due it's diameter and also the combined possible slight play in all of those joints.

If I only want 150cm height then I would certainly look at one of the 5 or 3 series tripods with less leg segments. That matters a lot in terms of rigidity and is why I have the also have the RRS 3 series - I had the Gitzo 3541LTS or XLS before I changed over.

So, is a 5 series a good choice for everyday tripod? Yes. Is a short 6 segment 5 series a good choice - I'm not so sure ... I'd definitely look at one's with less segments if you don't want the height and/or consider a 3 series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Graham, but are you trekking with your tripods? Say carrying them for 68 hours over 810 miles over not flat terrain. Now I am fairly heathy, I can lift a full glass of beer to my lips with one hand all night long, but I am not sure I could carry your gear all day AND still take photographs.
    I don't typically hike that far, although a few miles isn't too unusual. Depending on the distance I'd either take the 5561 or the RRS TVC33. I may seem a masochist but truthfully I'm not THAT much of a masochist!

I do find shooting after the beer to lips routine all night to be challenging also but for other reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Garham, are you implying that it's not designed to provide full stability at full height? That would be a problem.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Basically, yes. The bottom leg segments of a 6 segment 5 series tripod are pretty flimsy - ok at a pinch when needed but not ideal if you have them out all the time. IMHO.

Personally, as mentioned, if you're going to be using all of the leg segments then I'd seriously consider one of the tripods with thicker bottom legs. It helps with the LTS that the bottom segment isn't very long but it will still be a compromise compared to a thicker leg. You'll get thicker legs with a tripod with 3 or 4 leg segments.

Post Thanks / Like

I have unused, boxed:
    • GT5561SGT legs
    • GT3541XLS legs + GS3310GS geared center column
    for those looking for previous generation non-triangular top plate