The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee Filter system

GMB

I got the Lee system last summer and used it on the S2 with the 72 and 82 mm filter rings. Quite happy so far. I now was fortunate enough to find a 30-90 mm S zoom, which has a 92 mm filter thread. My dealer did not have an 92 ring on stock, and I then checked the Lee website and saw that they don't make a 92 mm ring (a 93 yes but no 92). Any suggestions.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 7792

I got the Lee system last summer and used it on the S2 with the 72 and 82 mm filter rings. Quite happy so far. I now was fortunate enough to find a 30-90 mm S zoom, which has a 92 mm filter thread. My dealer did not have an 92 ring on stock, and I then checked the Lee website and saw that they don't make a 92 mm ring (a 93 yes but no 92). Any suggestions.

Thanks.
You had me at "fortunate enough to find a 30-90mm S zoom". Tears started flowing and I couldn't read any more of your question after that. :ROTFL:

Joe

Paul2660

I have a similar problem with a need for a 95mm ring. Lee actually has Schneider make this ring, however they don't make it in a wide angle version so it has the deeper inside collar and will vignette. I just received one ordered from B&H and the ring that was sent does not agree with the one in the picture.

I called the Lee company directly in CA and was told they they did make any ring larger than 82mm and that the Schneider ring was really meant for a filter set that is made by Schneider, but will also work with the Lee stuff.

I was going to call SK Grimes also, and see if they could make a 95mm one, based on the 82mm.

Paul Caldwell

fotografz

Thanks.
HUH? Seemed like this thread is working with incorrect info, so I checked: :facesmack:

Leica data sheet on the Vario-Elmar-S 30-90 F/3.5/5.6 Zoom states the internal filter thread is E95, NOT 92mm :lecture:

From the Leica PDF: "Filter mount/Lens hood External bayonet for lens hood (included), internal thread for E95 filter, filter mount does not rotate."

Lee offers a 95mm adapter ring, I know because I have one :) The Schneider 95mm LEE Adapter ring is designed for use with Schneider's 4" Filter holder. I do not know if it will also work with the LEE filter holder/shades ... the 95mm I have is from LEE and has no Schneider identification.

What this zoom will need is a LEE 95mm W/A version to avoid vignetting at the wide end, plus the LEE wide angle bellows shade ... you will have to contact LEE to see if they make a W/A version of their 95mm.

Or see if a 95-to-105 step-up ring and the LEE 105mm Adapter Ring is enough to avoid vignetting.

Heliopan 95-105mm Step-up Ring #101 700101 B&H Photo Video

LEE Filters Adapter Ring - 105mm - for Long Lenses AR105 B&H

-Marc

Paul2660

I have spent the last 4 weeks with Lee, Schneider, and B&H and 2filter.com in U.S trying to get the correct information on larger filter rings. The information I have provided my previous post is not wrong. Please feel free to reach out to John, the rep at Lee in CA, Schneider in NY or BH photo's customer service dept. I have spoken to all of them. You can get a 95mm ring in fact on Lee's site I believe they show up to 105. However it's my understanding from taking to Lee directly in CA that they don't make the larger rings. They have an agreement with Schneider. The rings are still shipped in Lee boxes.

Lee only makes wide angle rings up to 82mm. I have contacted them on this and they have no current plans on making a wide angle any larger than 82mm. I even asked about having a special order ring made, to no avail.

I realize you may have a Lee 95mm ring, however Lee told me along with B&H that this ring is the same ring that is supplied by Schneider. The 95mm ring I just returned came from Schneider, but had no Schneider name on it only stated 95mm. It also came in a Lee Box. This is confusing and especially since the picture of the ring I purchased showed the lettering 95mm W/A and did not have a collar. B&H and Schneider both told me that the photo was an error and such a ring does not exist currently. They have since changed the picture on the website.

I called both Lee and Schneider NY, net Lee claimed to me that they don't make the larger rings, instead they are made by Schneider.

Yes, they will work with the Lee system, I tried it. No they will not work with a wide lens as you have a large inner collar that vignettes.

The only way to make the Lee/Schneider 95mm ring work would be to grind out the inner collar and that would show silver and more than likely cause a bigger issue with reflections.

From talking to the manufacturer this is the way I understand the current state of the adapter rings larger than 82mm. I provided my original post only to save others the hassle of going through what I did in an attempt to use a Lee setup that works with a 95mm W/A ring. The information on the web is not correct.

Paul Caldwell

GMB

HUH? Seemed like this thread is working with incorrect info, so I checked: :facesmack:

Leica data sheet on the Vario-Elmar-S 30-90 F/3.5/5.6 Zoom states the internal filter thread is E95, NOT 92mm :lecture:

From the Leica PDF: "Filter mount/Lens hood External bayonet for lens hood (included), internal thread for E95 filter, filter mount does not rotate."

Lee offers a 95mm adapter ring, I know because I have one :) The Schneider 95mm LEE Adapter ring is designed for use with Schneider's 4" Filter holder. I do not know if it will also work with the LEE filter holder/shades ... the 95mm I have is from LEE and has no Schneider identification.

What this zoom will need is a LEE 95mm W/A version to avoid vignetting at the wide end, plus the LEE wide angle bellows shade ... you will have to contact LEE to see if they make a W/A version of their 95mm.

Or see if a 95-to-105 step-up ring and the LEE 105mm Adapter Ring is enough to avoid vignetting.

Heliopan 95-105mm Step-up Ring #101 700101 B&H Photo Video

LEE Filters Adapter Ring - 105mm - for Long Lenses AR105 B&H

-Marc
I don't know what to say. :eek::eek: I probably embarrassed myself to know end :eek::eek::eek:. Worse, I even ordered the 95 mm pol filter for the zoom so I knew the correct size.:facesmack:

Anyway, this was the last final proof that I need a vacation.

Marc, thanks to much for pointing this out.

GMB

You had me at "fortunate enough to find a 30-90mm S zoom". Tears started flowing and I couldn't read any more of your question after that. :ROTFL:

Joe
What do you say if I tell you that it was a demo with no sign of a demo. Anyway, for any one interested in the lens, I think it is great. Handles very well and is very sharp. Unfortunately, the light in Belgium was awful most of the past weeks, but I am now off for two weeks to Florida and plan to give the lens a real run for the money. I will only take in addition the 180 and the 70.

D

Deleted member 7792

What do you say if I tell you that it was a demo with no sign of a demo. Anyway, for any one interested in the lens, I think it is great. Handles very well and is very sharp. Unfortunately, the light in Belgium was awful most of the past weeks, but I am now off for two weeks to Florida and plan to give the lens a real run for the money. I will only take in addition the 180 and the 70.
If you tire of the lens before leaving the US, I'll drive from North Carolina to Florida to take it off your hands. :ROTFL:

Seriously, share some photos with us using the 30-90mm zoom. Some of us would love to see real world results. Enjoy your vacation.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Hey Joe

Isnn't it about time we saw a new profile pic with you holding the Leica?

Mal
Mal,

Yep, it's about time! I just need a good portrait shooter like you to create it.

Joe

fotografz

I don't know what to say. :eek::eek: I probably embarrassed myself to know end :eek::eek::eek:. Worse, I even ordered the 95 mm pol filter for the zoom so I knew the correct size.:facesmack:

Anyway, this was the last final proof that I need a vacation.

Marc, thanks to much for pointing this out.
No problem. Glad we aren't faced with an E93mm nightmare.

Seems Paul has already found the answer to whether Lee or Schneider offer a 95mm wide angle adapter ring ... the type that reverses back on itself to avoid vignetting ... no. Doesn't seem they will make one either.

So it seems that exploring the 95 to 105 step-up ring using an 105mm adapter ring may be the only possibility ... if those links I provided are even correct :eek:

I'm thinking about adding the S-24mm, and that also is E95 ... which will require an expensive 95mm slim polarizer :angry:

Have a nice time in Forida ... wishing you nice light.

-Marc