Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad to Pentax 645D

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad to Pentax 645D

Been using the H4D-40 (35-90 and 150) for a little over a year, here's the pros and cons. Pros-Files are great, lenses are very sharp, leaf shutter. Cons-Weight, focus speed. I had a chance to try the Pentax 645D and was very impressed with the weight and focus speed. I can live without the leaf shutter, I just need a file with enough resolution to go to a 40 or 50 in print. The question is, have any of you compared the two, used them both, have any input on image quality? The Pentax lenses I'd use would likely be the new 90 and 55. As to work, I do family portraits exclusively, on the beach and in the studio, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad to Pentax 645D

Why not consider moving to Leica S2? Even it is older than P645d it is still very competitive. A used S2+75mm in great condition could be had for less than the cost of the P645D+ lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Why not consider moving to Leica S2? Even it is older than P645d it is still very competitive. A used S2+75mm in great condition could be had for less than the cost of the P645D+ lenses
    I don't think so

PS: I would had : "Hell !! No !!"
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Lawrence View Post
    Been using the H4D-40 (35-90 and 150) for a little over a year, here's the pros and cons. Pros-Files are great, lenses are very sharp, leaf shutter. Cons-Weight, focus speed. I had a chance to try the Pentax 645D and was very impressed with the weight and focus speed. I can live without the leaf shutter, I just need a file with enough resolution to go to a 40 or 50 in print. The question is, have any of you compared the two, used them both, have any input on image quality? The Pentax lenses I'd use would likely be the new 90 and 55. As to work, I do family portraits exclusively, on the beach and in the studio, thanks.
    I had the 645d in rent for 10 days total. Great picture quality, but I would not think switching just for size and weight.

Why do you own a zoom and want to buy fiexed lenes for the Penax? Get yourself the 80mm. In my opinion, thw most versatile lens in the whole lineup.

You'll loose all the whizz - TrueFocus, DAC, etc etc. Read my thread about the question "Hasselblad to Leica S?" In this forum - te same is true for your qeustion, afaik.

Cheers

S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    I don't think so

PS: I would had : "Hell !! No !!"
    You don't think so they they could be had for around the same price? USed S2Ps are around 10k now. 4K for the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Not really. Pentax currently has a rebate that allows the 645D + 55mm + 90mm for about $12,800.

PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES REBATES ON THE HIGHLY ACCLAIMED 645D SYSTEM AS WELL AS ON SELECT LIMITED LENSES WHEN PURCHASED WITH ITS FLAGSHIP DSLR, THE K-5 IIS

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't give you any feedback on Hasselblad lenses vs. Pentax lenses as I have not shot MFD Hasselblad. The 55mm is my favorite lens on the 645D. It is a great normal. The 90mm is new and there is not a lot out there about it. The 120 Macro, both AF and MF, is considered to be one of the sharpest lenses around, regardless of manufacturer or format.

I have shot mostly medium-format and large-format in my career. I find nothing wanting in my Pentax optics.

BTW, you can get a Haselblad V adapter for the 645D, but stop-down metering. I adapter a 67 Pentax lens to the 645D, but preferred the native Pentax 645 lenses because of control and exposure--an adapted lens can only use center-weighted metering.

I have made 50" print from my 645D and they are very, very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First review of the Pentax 90mm I've seen is in all places PCMag; in any event they like it:

"I used Imatest to check lens sharpness when paired with the 645D. Even at f/2.8, the lens keeps up with the camera's 40-megapixel image sensor. It records 3,276 lines per picture height at the maximum aperture, nearly double the 1,800 lines we use to qualify an image as acceptably sharp. Stopping down doesn't improve performance—it stays about the same until f/16, where diffraction starts to detract from the quality of images. There is virtually no distortion, as is expected of a macro lens."

Pentax HD D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stan,

Just don'r rely on the 90mm and 55mm becuase they are new and released at the time of after the 645D was released. So many great pentax 645 lenses to use with the 645D and at a fraction of those lenses cots...such as the 120 f4 macro Shashin and others mentioned. I had a chance to briefly test the new 90mm (but not enough to post a statement about its performance in my comprehensive 645 lens tests I posted here on getdpi some time ago). The new 90 is extremely impressive but possibly to sharp for gentle portrait work and only 1:2 for macro. Lovely bokeh and superb microcontrast and colors. The 120 f4 macro si superb, especially for 1:1 macro and the olderer 150mm f2.8 has a gentle drawing for portarit use..and both together could be had for approx 1/4 the price of the 90mm alone.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    I had the 645d in rent for 10 days total. Great picture quality, but I would not think switching just for size and weight.

Why do you own a zoom and want to buy fiexed lenes for the Penax? Get yourself the 80mm. In my opinion, thw most versatile lens in the whole lineup.

You'll loose all the whizz - TrueFocus, DAC, etc etc. Read my thread about the question "Hasselblad to Leica S?" In this forum - te same is true for your qeustion, afaik.

Cheers

S.
    Stan, I did read your thread, interesting info. I was staying with the newer Pentax lenses, (not a big fan of used gear for work) which for my work is the 55 and 90. I use a zoom now to allow cropping with the zoom, rather than moving. With the Pentax, I'd have to be a little more precise with setup. If the file quality is the same, the weight and focus points would be worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post

I have made 50" print from my 645D and they are very, very nice.
    Most of my work is 4-12 people, full length. The Hasselblad holds up to that very well, if the Pentax does also, it might work. thanks for the info.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whew, that's an expensive swap you are considering Stan. Even though the Pentax is at an attractive price point, what you lose by selling the H4D/40 has to have an over-all impact I would think.

It seems you are not making a true comparison ... comparisons to the Pentax 55 and 90 should be the HC-50-II and HC-100/2.2 in lieu of what you are now using ... that zoom is indeed heavy and slower focusing due to the size of the glass that it's moving and dimmer max aperture. Selling the expensive zoom and 150 should pay for the 50-II and 100.

I can tell you that the new HC- 50-II is unbeatable, and the 100/2.2 is unmatched for selective focus work. Now there is a Close-Up adapter that's been optimized for the 50-II that opens up all sorts of new creative opportunities. These two HC lenses are my mainstay people optics. Both these lenses focus much faster than the zoom, and even faster than the 150.

As to over-all weight, the H body is 2 lbs more ... but I'd be sure to compare collective weight including comparable lenses ... after all, you won't be carrying the body alone

Be sure to compare viewfinder brightness using comparable lenses ... some S2 users thought their viewfinder to be brighter than the H camera's ... I have both cameras and put the same Hasselblad 100mm lens on both bodies and the H viewfinder is not only visibly brighter, it is more neutral.

I do a fair amount of outdoor portraits, and even wedding formals with the H, and I simply couldn't live without leaf shutter lenses, even just using fill flash ... it provides better control of the backgrounds and skies. 1/125th is just to slow of a sync speed for me on a beach or bright location. However, that may not be as important to you.

I've also found that the H camera can be usable at much lower hand-held shutter speeds than any focal plane shutter MFD camera, including the highly dampened Leica S2. The combination of leaf shutter and setting the mirror delay option on the H camera really makes a huge difference in available light.

To each their own.

Good luck which ever way you go.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, since you never used a Pentax 645D, a couple of points. It is significantly lighter than an H--I have used an H and they are really heavy. The viewfinder between the H and 645D is night and day--the 645D is much larger and brighter and has better information. The Pentax shutter is well dampened--there is more to MFDSLRs than that Mamiya camera. That is not saying the H isn't a great camera, but those are reasons to change.

The economics is rather a red herring.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait for new phase one body that will blow everything

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Pentax 645D inherits the same mirror/shutter damping system as my old Pentax 645 had, I don't think shutter-induced camera vibration is of any important significance. Although the P645 was not particularly quiet in operation, it was eerily vibrationless and allowed me to make very sharp, hand-held photos at 1/15 second even with the 120mm macro lens.

(The manual focus version of the 35mm lens was my favorite lens on the P645, followed by the 120 Macro.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Blow is a nice change from suck...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    (The manual focus version of the 35mm lens was my favorite lens on the P645, followed by the 120 Macro.)
    +1 on the manual focus 35mm on the 645D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If the Pentax 645D inherits the same mirror/shutter damping system as my old Pentax 645 had, I don't think shutter-induced camera vibration is of any important significance. Although the P645 was not particularly quiet in operation, it was eerily vibrationless and allowed me to make very sharp, hand-held photos at 1/15 second even with the 120mm macro lens.

Godfrey, you just listed two of the best lenses for the 645D. The shutter of the 645D is a siren's song; the 645 a banshee scream (really that was the motor drive's fault).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one thing you mentioned here is sync speed and leaf lenses. You realize the Pentax is only 1/125 of a second and given beach shots in full sun you would not want a higher sync speed for flash fill in. This alone at 1/125 would stop me in my tracks. At least something like a Nikon is 1/250 which is even hard sometimes for fill flash that one stop difference could be a real issue. I had this on my Phase bodies before getting my leaf shuttered lenses and it was tough to deal with sometimes. Of course I have really nasty bright sun here so immediately living in he desert I have a issue with fill flash.

I can see why you may want to switch to the Pentax though and not to take away from that but not sure I would give up a Hassy for it and take a pretty big loss. But for me the 1/125 th flash sync is a problem and not sure I would trade down for the Pentax. That's me though. You also take away any future tech cam ability. Personally I buy systems for abilities beyond immediate needs since I'm always faced with gigs that might be beyond what I am used to shooting. Than there is backup and service and repair which is always a big consideration. Like the S2 the Pentax has no natural backup body except another one. All things to just sit down with and do a Pro and Con list and see what makes the most sense in the end. To me weight is what it is and don't care with my primary system what that may be, im getting paid to bust my ***. LOL
    Secondary and backup I do care but primary is the workhorse so yes lighter would be nice but you don't want to give up other things either. Obviously not easy calls and suggest renting the Pentax and put it to work and test it out.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The one thing you mentioned here is sync speed and leaf lenses. You realize the Pentax is only 1/125 of a second and given beach shots in full sun you would not want a higher sync speed for flash fill in. This alone at 1/125 would stop me in my tracks. At least something like a Nikon is 1/250 which is even hard sometimes for fill flash that one stop difference could be a real issue. I had this on my Phase bodies before getting my leaf shuttered lenses and it was tough to deal with sometimes. Of course I have really nasty bright sun here so immediately living in he desert I have a issue with fill flash.

I can see why you may want to switch to the Pentax though and not to take away from that but not sure I would give up a Hassy for it and take a pretty big loss. But for me the 1/125 th flash sync is a problem and not sure I would trade down for the Pentax. That's me though. You also take away any future tech cam ability. Personally I buy systems for abilities beyond immediate needs since I'm always faced with gigs that might be beyond what I am used to shooting. Than there is backup and service and repair which is always a big consideration. Like the S2 the Pentax has no natural backup body except another one. All things to just sit down with and do a Pro and Con list and see what makes the most sense in the end. To me weight is what it is and don't care with my primary system what that may be, im getting paid to bust my ***. LOL
    Secondary and backup I do care but primary is the workhorse so yes lighter would be nice but you don't want to give up other things either. Obviously not easy calls and suggest renting the Pentax and put it to work and test it out.
    My work is a little more predictable.... I'm on the beach an hour before sunset, so flash is rare. The backup/repair issue is a big one, although the H4D has been pretty dependable. I'm leaning toward getting the Pentax, and keeping the H4D until I'm sure it will do the job. I'll lose on the sale, although I'll likely pay for the Pentax and have cash left over....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Selling the expensive zoom and 150 should pay for the 50-II and 100.
    -Marc
    +1. I would rent these lenses and try them out as a second option.

Post Thanks / Like

Having used the 645D extensively, I cannot think why you'd want to switch to it for this kind of work. Yes, the 645D has superior ergonomics, but the shutter-vibrations are killer at slower shutter speeds and the slow flash-sync is a pain with outdoor flash.

For some applications I'd prefer the Pentax, but for yours the "H" strikes me as the best rig.

Cheers,

- N.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll mention a few things....and oh, by the way, nice to see Nick here!

As Tom mentioned, the Pentax 35mm 645 lens, in both the MF and Af versions (each a bit different than one another) as well as both versions of the 120mm macro are some of the best 645 lenses to use on the 645D.

With regards to sync speeds for flash, Guy has some very valid points...but a possible way around some of this is using one of the two manual focus leaf shutter lenses made by Pentax for the 645 system which would allow a much higher sync speed (1/500). They can be had for a song (ie: relatively cheap) and although optically good, I wouldn't put them on the top of their class.

As for shutter vibration of the 645D...as pointed out, the shutter/mirror box does sound like it has a lot of vibration but in actual use and testing, I came away quite impressed. There is always that zone between very very low shutter speeds and moderately high shutter speeds where (around 1/4 to 1/30) that may cause the most trouble with regards to vibration. even so I've experienced a lot worse.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Yeah, I hope you meant to say ... "Blow Away"

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, since you never used a Pentax 645D, a couple of points. It is significantly lighter than an H--I have used an H and they are really heavy. The viewfinder between the H and 645D is night and day--the 645D is much larger and brighter and has better information. The Pentax shutter is well dampened--there is more to MFDSLRs than that Mamiya camera. That is not saying the H isn't a great camera, but those are reasons to change.

The economics is rather a red herring.
    No I haven't used one on a job ... but I have handled one.

Yes, the H4D body is heavier by 2 lbs ... which I wouldn't classify as "significant". A D800 is what I'd call significantly lighter. The S2 is also lighter by 2 lbs, but because of it's 35mm like form factor is easier to transport than a typical 645. My question is, what is the 645D systems weight with comparable lenses?

Viewfinder brightness comparisons have to be done using the same max aperture lenses, and I didn't notice anywhere near "night and day" difference in brightness between a H4 and the 645D (but unlike my S2/H4D viewfinder comparison where everyone though the S finder was brighter than anything else and wasn't, I wasn't doing a side-by-side/same max aperture in fixed light ... were you?).

As to viewfinder information, I'm curious what info the Pentax provides that the H4D doesn't?

I also use a waist level finder on the H4D, and the modular finder of the H makes it easy to break down the camera for travel packing ... like I used to do with my Contax 645.

I'll never buy that a focal plane shutter is as vibration dampened as leaf shutter, including my Leica S2P ... my question as to using a Pentax leaf shutter lens on the 645D is whether the focal plane shutter is disabled. It is not on the Leica S2, so the advantage of less vibration from a leaf shutter lens is negated.

Don't get me wrong, for certain applications the Pentax 645D is a very attractive kit at a more realistic price point.

For location work, travel or things like weddings, I'm a huge advocate of dual memory card capture and to a bit lesser extent weather sealing ... which is why I like my S2 for that stuff. Are the Pentax lenses weather sealed like the S lenses?

Economics may be a red herring to you, but all these MFD cameras lose value at a jaw dropping rate, depending on when you bought one. The H5D is now shipping. So, a new $19,995 H4D/40 is promo priced right now at $12,995 less any dealer discount ... so what do you think a used one will sell for? What is a Pentax 645D worth after you use it? Those are the collective losses one has to consider.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I haven't used one on a job ... but I have handled one.

Yes, the H4D body is heavier by 2 lbs ... which I wouldn't classify as "significant". A D800 is what I'd call significantly lighter. The S2 is also lighter by 2 lbs, but because of it's 35mm like form factor is easier to transport than a typical 645. My question is, what is the 645D systems weight with comparable lenses?
    Not really trying to get into camera wars here. I do think if the body is almost twice as heavy, that is significant. The Hasselblad body and lenses I handled, and like you with the 645D, I have only handled one casually, seemed to be very heavy--Hasselblad is using stainless steel barrels? Pentax lenses are lighter. In the studio, maybe not such a big deal. Carrying them in the field, the weight is really different.

Viewfinder brightness comparisons have to be done using the same max aperture lenses, and I didn't notice anywhere near "night and day" difference in brightness between a H4 and the 645D (but unlike my S2/H4D viewfinder comparison where everyone though the S finder was brighter than anything else and wasn't, I wasn't doing a side-by-side/same max aperture in fixed light ... were you?).

As to viewfinder information, I'm curious what info the Pentax provides that the H4D doesn't?
    Maybe the brightness impression comes from size? The H viewfinder did seem small to me--I had this immediately and did not need to compare.

Veiwfinder information in the 645D are shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp, flash, flash comp, AF lock, AE lock, electronic level, metering mode, ISO, file format of each card slot.

I also use a waist level finder on the H4D, and the modular finder of the H makes it easy to break down the camera for travel packing ... like I used to do with my Contax 645.
    Pentax has a right-angle finder so the camera can be used in all kind of positions--it rotates so the viewfinder can be seen no matter what position you put the camera. I have had modular cameras as well. I find keeping the camera together makes for the smallest package for transport.

I'll never buy that a focal plane shutter is as vibration dampened as leaf shutter, including my Leica S2P ... my question as to using a Pentax leaf shutter lens on the 645D is whether the focal plane shutter is disabled. It is not on the Leica S2, so the advantage of less vibration from a leaf shutter lens is negated.
    I never said a focal plane shutter has less vibration. But the Hasselbled still has a mirror and I was talking about mirror dampening, which is excellent in the 645D. The mirror adds more motion to the system than the shutter.

Don't get me wrong, for certain applications the Pentax 645D is a very attractive kit at a more realistic price point.

For location work, travel or things like weddings, I'm a huge advocate of dual memory card capture and to a bit lesser extent weather sealing ... which is why I like my S2 for that stuff. Are the Pentax lenses weather sealed like the S lenses?
    All the new Pentax lenses are weather sealed. The 645D also has dual card slots, which I also really like--it is like having backup in the field.

Economics may be a red herring to you, but all these MFD cameras lose value at a jaw dropping rate, depending on when you bought one. The H5D is now shipping. So, a new $19,995 H4D/40 is promo priced right now at $12,995 less any dealer discount ... so what do you think a used one will sell for? What is a Pentax 645D worth after you use it? Those are the collective losses one has to consider.

-Marc
    Sure products lose value. But you should have a business model that takes care of the depreciation and allows you to replace the equipment at the end of its life cycle. Running your business based on some idea that X number of years down the road you are going to be able to predict you can get $X for your equipment is really not very good--a D800 could come out and then MFD would die.

I do not purchase equipment for a known ROI. I predict I will use it and the equipment will produce work to pay for itself. What I make on a sale is essentially a bonus and lowers my costs. I buy and expect to use my equipment--hell, it might not even survive.

Post Thanks / Like

-Marc
    As Sashin alluded to, my business depreciates the equipment over time, so resale isn't really an issue. If I sell the H gear, it would be to move something I wasn't using.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not really trying to get into camera wars here. I do think if the body is almost twice as heavy, that is significant. The Hasselblad body and lenses I handled, and like you with the 645D, I have only handled one casually, seemed to be very heavy--Hasselblad is using stainless steel barrels? Pentax lenses are lighter. In the studio, maybe not such a big deal. Carrying them in the field, the weight is really different.

Maybe the brightness impression comes from size? The H viewfinder did seem small to me--I had this immediately and did not need to compare.

Veiwfinder information in the 645D are shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp, flash, flash comp, AF lock, AE lock, electronic level, metering mode, ISO, file format of each card slot.

Pentax has a right-angle finder so the camera can be used in all kind of positions--it rotates so the viewfinder can be seen no matter what position you put the camera. I have had modular cameras as well. I find keeping the camera together makes for the smallest package for transport.

I never said a focal plane shutter has less vibration. But the Hasselbled still has a mirror and I was talking about mirror dampening, which is excellent in the 645D. The mirror adds more motion to the system than the shutter.

All the new Pentax lenses are weather sealed. The 645D also has dual card slots, which I also really like--it is like having backup in the field.

Sure products lose value. But you should have a business model that takes care of the depreciation and allows you to replace the equipment at the end of its life cycle. Running your business based on some idea that X number of years down the road you are going to be able to predict you can get $X for your equipment is really not very good--a D800 could come out and then MFD would die.

I do not purchase equipment for a known ROI. I predict I will use it and the equipment will produce work to pay for itself. What I make on a sale is essentially a bonus and lowers my costs. I buy and expect to use my equipment--hell, it might not even survive.
    No camera war intended. Just full information.

Not sure how viewfinder brightness and relative magnification compares without a side-by-side since memory impressions are usually faulty ... just like the impressions people had of the S2 finder being brighter than a H4D ... which is was not ... it was in fact dimmer and less neutral in color temp.

Mirror slap effect in the HD camera is controlled by the user, via a choice of mirror delays measured in ms ... it is extremely effective. Your casual encounter probably would not have revealed that feature.

The viewfinder info in the HD/4-5 includes everything you attribute to the 645D ... plus focus mode, focus indication arrows, and an icon when True Focus is engaged. Not all separate indicators are in the viewfinder all at once, but when activated by the user button ergonomics that allow activation without taking your eye from the finder.

The economic comment was based on making a move now from a H4D to the Pentax (both older technology in terms of cycle, with the unknown being how long the OP has had the H4D: warranty, and how many shots it has) ... which is at best a lateral break even proposition, but more likely a loss. However, I guess that if the OP doesn't care, why should I?

I have already said that dual cards is a plus, as is weather sealing for the OPs applications.

Best of luck which ever way he goes.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Not really trying to get into camera wars here. I do think if the body is almost twice as heavy, that is significant.
    Are you sure?

From the Hasselblad website for the H4D-40: Weight 2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)

From the Pentax website: Weight ready and loaded 52.2oz = 1479g

To me that sounds about the same if you add a lens to the Pentax 645D...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Are you sure?

From the Hasselblad website for the H4D-40: Weight 2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)

From the Pentax website: Weight ready and loaded 52.2oz = 1479g

To me that sounds about the same if you add a lens to the Pentax 645D...
    Well, then I am mistaken. The Hasselblad I handled felt really heavy and the owner thought the 645d was much lighter. Apparently, we were both wrong. The Pentax 55mm lens is 416g. I guess it was that extra pound on the H that deceived us. Weight is an important criteria for me as I carry my gear all day and over all kinds of terrain. I guess that extra pound made a huge impression in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

The standard 80mm is the lightest lens though.

Any other lens will be heavier and in the case of the zoom lenses significantly heavier.

Probably on average the 645D kit is indeed about 2 pounds lighter, one for the body and one for the lens. With the 80mm or 100mm lenses the difference will be smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

B&H lists the weight of the H4D4 40 at 2290g and the weight of the body and the 80mm as 2290g - clearly some confusion. Anyway, to make this somewhat quantitative despite the uncertainty in the H:

Pentax 645D + FA 75mm f2.8 = 1480g + 215g = 1705g = 3.75 lb.

Hasselblad H4D 40 + 80mm f2.8 = 2290g =5.04 lb. (if the 475g of the 80mm needs to be added in 2765g, 6.1 lb.)

So even at the lesser weight, the Hasselblad is 34% heavier, although I can't imagine that as a deciding factor unless you're backpacking.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, then I am mistaken. The Hasselblad I handled felt really heavy and the owner thought the 645d was much lighter. Apparently, we were both wrong. The Pentax 55mm lens is 416g. I guess it was that extra pound on the H that deceived us. Weight is an important criteria for me as I carry my gear all day and over all kinds of terrain. I guess that extra pound made a huge impression in my mind.
    Maybe the Hasselblad just felt more solid

Just kidding.

Post Thanks / Like

My weight comparison is the H body and 35-90 lens, which is a beast. It is lighter with the 150. The Pentax with the 90 did feel lighter.
    I'd like to thank everyone here for their info and opinions, it was the info here that helped me decide about a year and a half ago to invest the H system. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to thank everyone here for their info and opinions, it was the info here that helped me decide about a year and a half ago to invest the H system.
    You got it right first time then

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that's good to hear and pretty much the standard answer and correct one is pick one that's fits your needs, regardless of name tag they all produce outstanding quality in the process. The trick is figuring out the process your most comfortable with. Money really is secondary especially for working Pros because we HAVE to produce clients needs first so whatever that takes we have to figure that out as the priority. He'll if I had life my way I would be shooting a Leica M and a tech cam. Business dictates something completely different gear. Somedays I hate that I really don't have much choice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stan,

I think the idea of renting the HC100 is a good one, especially since you listed weight and focusing speed as two concerns. It's a great family group lens. It weighs a bit more than the 80mm, but less than the 150. It's a world class all around lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, I'm getting a lot of pms and emails from folks wanting to sell me equipment. I don't buy used gear, at any time, thanks.