The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFDII questions

smhoer

Hi all,
I have recently purchased an AFDII body to use with a P45 back. Does anyone know how to tell what firmware version the body has? Also, does any version of the firmware allow Auto Exposure Bracketing with more than 1 stop range? I was very surprised to find this limitation. Does the AFDIII have this limitation?

thx
Scott H

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey Scott,

Go to the Mamiya website and download the instruction manual PDF. You'll have to have it at some point!

Digitalcameraman

Hi all,
I have recently purchased an AFDII body to use with a P45 back. Does anyone know how to tell what firmware version the body has? Also, does any version of the firmware allow Auto Exposure Bracketing with more than 1 stop range? I was very surprised to find this limitation. Does the AFDIII have this limitation?

thx
Scott H

Scott:

The firmware version is 1.4. To see what version you have select CF and go to 36. Press /= button and the version will display. Below that will be the lens firmware version.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have version 1.4 on my Phase/AFDIII body and the improvements made are very nice. If you do not have it on that body than I would see about getting it updated through Mamiya or if you purchased from a Phase dealer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Scott:

The firmware version is 1.4. To see what version you have select CF and go to 36. Press /= button and the version will display. Below that will be the lens firmware version.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]
Don't mind Chris, he is confusing the AFD II with the AFD III. On the AFD III you can check the firmware version via the custom function as he describes.

With the AFD II, if you're in the US, you'll need to call MAC Group at 914.347.3300 and ask for the Mamiya Repair and Service Department. Most likely Rita will answer the phone. If you give her your serial number she can let you know if it requires a firmware update (there are only two versions of the AFD II firmware) and if so can assist you with the shipping instructions.

P.S. Why isn't your dealer taking care of this for you?

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

smhoer

Can you tell me if the Phase One body can take AEB shots at more than a one stop range? The AFDII does not according to the instruction book. One stop limited range on AEB works for film but is kind of ridiculous for digital if you want to do blending on landscapes

Doug, thanks. I am working with Chris on a mount swap to a Mamiya mount on a P45. He started the search the day after Thanksgiving and Phase is still looking for one to swap with me. Evidently there are none in the US available. I am hoping they find one soon. I am going to Moab/Canyonlands during new years and the California coast soon after that. My H mount is currently an expensive paperweight.

Digitalcameraman

Don't mind Chris, he is confusing the AFD II with the AFD III. On the AFD III you can check the firmware version via the custom function as he describes.

With the AFD II, if you're in the US, you'll need to call MAC Group at 914.347.3300 and ask for the Mamiya Repair and Service Department. Most likely Rita will answer the phone. If you give her your serial number she can let you know if it requires a firmware update (there are only two versions of the AFD II firmware) and if so can assist you with the shipping instructions.

P.S. Why isn't your dealer taking care of this for you?

Sorry I for some reason thought this was AFDII. What do you expect only one shot of espresso at that time I responded.

Give me a break

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio Florida

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I for some reason thought this was AFDII. What do you expect only one shot of espresso at that time I responded.
Chris, it was a question on the AFDII -- the "I" key on your keyboard must be sticky or maybe you better grab that *3*rd espresso!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

schweikert

As I have been told by a fellow photographer who spoke directly with Mamiya, AFDII bodies with GG or later serial number are current. Earlier serial numbers can be updated with new firmware by sending it to Mamiya USA. Only 2 firmware versions total for the AFDII. Phone number provided in earlier post, and yes Rita does answer the phone as when I have called about sending my AFD in for focus calibration.

smhoer

I guess manually it is. I do a lot of HDR and stitching so the idea of doing it manually adds the chance of slight movement to the body which makes the HDR and stitching difficult later. I am surprised the limit is 1 stop for a body made for digital.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As I have been told by a fellow photographer who spoke directly with Mamiya, AFDII bodies with GG or later serial number are current. Earlier serial numbers can be updated with new firmware by sending it to Mamiya USA. Only 2 firmware versions total for the AFDII. Phone number provided in earlier post, and yes Rita does answer the phone as when I have called about sending my AFD in for focus calibration.
Good additional information. The call is needed prior to sending in a pre-GG serial number though if the unit was used, as the previous owner may have already had the firmware update done.

Doug

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, thanks. I am working with Chris on a mount swap to a Mamiya mount on a P45. He started the search the day after Thanksgiving and Phase is still looking for one to swap with me. Evidently there are none in the US available. I am hoping they find one soon. I am going to Moab/Canyonlands during new years and the California coast soon after that. My H mount is currently an expensive paperweight.
Yep, the M mounts are selling like hot-cakes. We sent out an advisory to our newsletter list that we had the last three P45M Refurbs in the US in this newsletter on 11/12. All three went fast.

Hopefully Chris will Snipe one for you. If not, the P45+ is being pushed as Phase's big end-of-the-year option, so a lot of special programs are being offered.

Are you headed to Moab with the January Moab GetDPI workshop? If so I'll see you there (I'm going to be there as a very grateful guest teacher of Capture One 4.5 Pro), and I'll have a P65+ and a P45+ Infrared for you to play with.

smhoer

Thanks Doug. I will be in Moab/Canyonlands with another photographer friend. We are going to spend a few days in that area, try the north rim (if the road is open) for a sunrise and sunset, then hit different spot going down to Phoenix before flying home. Would love to see the P65+ but worried my credit card will melt in my pocket. One day.....