The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S; Capture One profile?

So... it's been bugging me for a real long while now, but the S is one hell of a sexy camera :D

The problem is that for all my pondering on getting my feet wet in MF, the S was always off my list because it's not supported in C17. You can load the files, but only as generic DNGs, and it seems to have an effect on the way the files are processed, because adjusting parameters "feels" like using a generic settings, and not something tailored for the camera.

I dislike Lr4's processing overall, and would rather use Capture One, especially since Lightroom doesn't have two things: A linear curve, and LCC correction, both of which a I depend on a lot. Well, I lie, Lr does have those things, but they are implemented so poorly so as to be unusable.

With every other Leica on the list, why is the S not on there? Just wondering. :angel:

Competitor? Hmm... I'm skeptical on the notion, it seems to fill a different niche than a Hassy or Phase, and the D800/E is supported just fine. Besides, Phase are very open in regard to other brands, if it helps them sell more software than why not?

And yeah, I've seen that link, but I can't enter the owners area since, well... :rolleyes:
And it's for C1 6 anyway, after v7's re engineering, I'm not sure how it would translate.

Well, I tried it out, but it doesn't seem to do much...

As an example - When I set the curve to "Linear Response" and set more than 40 highlight recovery, the highlights go flat and have ugly yellow halos all over the place. I know this is an extreme case, but none of the DSLRs I've tested including my 5D2 have this, they can easily recover the highlights up to 60 in linear mode.

Here are crops from a couple of shots you seem to have posted a while ago of a canal:

D800 - 60 highlight recovery:

S2 - 40 highlight recovery:

I'm not sure this can be fixed with just a color profile. It looks worse than C1 v6's highlights.

It'd be nice if someone from Phase, or at least someone affiliated with them here could chime in, I know they're on this forum.

RVB

Hi.. one thing to keep in mind with these file's is that the S2 file is pushed a little too far,the highlights are slightly clipped,the d800 file has more overhead for recoveryhere is a screengrab of the same file on C1P7 in my mac with highlight recovery to 40.. and shadows at 50 ,I dont think it looks as bad..

(other settings are at default..)

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Build your own, it's easy in C1. Take a properly exposed image of a color checker under clean lighting that you are wanting to profile; eg for daylight, use open Sunlight at Noon, away from any reflecting source like trees of buildings -- the middle of a large parking lot is good for this.

Now pull that frame into C1 with all adjustments zeroed to base settings. WB off the second from the last gray patch on the CC. This is now your base DL WB for the S. Next, goto the advanced color editor and start adjusting until the primaries and secondaries are as close to the official RGB numbers as you can get them, confirm skintone patches are pleasing. You can even bias a separate ICC to skin if you desire. Now save this color as an ICC profile for the S2 -- it will be visible in C1 as a camera profile for future use, so give it a name you can recognize.

Additionally, you can now go back and tweak curves, clarity, sharpening, NR, etc to desired levels, and save the entire set as a style.

RVB

Good advice Jack..I'm relatively new to C1 myself,previously using Lr and Phocus the most,I like C1 a lot for I.Q but would like to see a better implementation of the C.A removal tool,it's useless for the Leica S

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What seems to be me absent in this conversation is that two related but separate things are done to support a camera in Capture One.

- An accurate color profile matrix is built.
- The de-bayering, noise reduction, highlight/shadow, sharpening tools algorithms are fine tuned for best behavior with the specific characteristics of that camera/sensor.

Customers can definitely build their own profile, whether with 3rd party software or using the Color Editor.
Only Phase One can fine tune the characteristics of processing per the characteristics of the camera to get that last ounce of it.

Kolor-Picker: if you want to hear from phase one I strongly encourage you to directly contact them using a support case: Technical support for Phase One and Mamiya Leaf users ("contact technical support").

A few P1 folks do occasionally come to the forum and post, but if you make a support case with your question/request you are guaranteed an answer in less than 24 hours (usually much much faster).

Many features and camera supports have been implemented when the volume of support cases made it obvious there was a broad desire for them.

Ah, thanks for the replies all, I'm suddenly sick at the moment, so I'll have to take it all in later. Doug, thanks for suggesting the tech support, I kinda didn't think about that, and yes, I did mean the in-depth processing tweaks. I already know about color profiles.
But I doubt there are many people who torture their cameras like this, for niche technical stuff, and I don't actually own an S... yet so it's not of grave consequence to me. Just wanted to know if it's on the roadmap. Thanks.

Stuart Richardson

Just curious, what do you need an LCC correction for? The S2 lenses don't really have any color vignetting when used as standard...you can probably generate what you need in Lightroom. It allows you to create custom DNG profiles. I have done this with a color checker passport, but have found that the Adobe/Leica generated profiles are remarkably accurate.

Also, Lightroom does have a linear curve, or at least you can set the curves function to linear, though perhaps that is not what you mean. Personally, I find lightroom to be a fantastic processing engine and file management system, and much better than I ever experienced with Capture One (which I have admittedly not used since v4).

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I was a devoted C1 user/fan for a long time until they didn't provide an S2 profile. I believe that a few people asked about a profile 2-3 years ago. I'm certain that the small S2 user base doesn't much matter that much in the end to Phase ... and it really doesn't much matter to me now as I've fully transitioned to LR.

Just curious, what do you need an LCC correction for? The S2 lenses don't really have any color vignetting when used as standard...
I use LCC for evening out illumination of flat objects. Take a photo, replace with a white board, take another photo out of focus, use that as the LCC. I could try to get even lighting right off the bat, but this isn't slide film anymore, I want to be able to take advantage of things like this. Sometimes it just isn't practical to have perfectly even lighting at all.