Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

  1. #1
    Member jerryreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Essex, CT
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    I see that there are portfolio apps available for the iPad (mine is the Mini iPad), and I am wondering. Anyone use an iPad to show their work in an ad hoc way, how do you get your images from where they are now, and into the iPad, and do you use an app, if so which do you like? Kinda like that.

    Jerry Reed

  2. #2
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    A plug to my friend Paul Freeman's app: Foliobook

    Paul is an architecture and landscape photographer and for the development of the app he used several other professional photographers, of which some are MFDB users

    Cheers

    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Portfolio apps? I just sync photos via iTunes to folders in the Photos app, primitive, but whatever, it works for me. I just make sure to resize my images down to no more than 14mp's worth of resolution beforehand to make sure the iPad doesn't do any scaling. This is about 2x the screen resolution of the iPad3/4 (4096x3072). Never use Dropbox for getting photos on the iPad because it downsamples them to like 2mp or so, looks awful.

    I will have to look into these portfolio apps and what they do.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Member LonnaTucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerryreed View Post
    I see that there are portfolio apps available for the iPad (mine is the Mini iPad), and I am wondering. Anyone use an iPad to show their work in an ad hoc way, how do you get your images from where they are now, and into the iPad, and do you use an app, if so which do you like? Kinda like that.

    Jerry Reed
    +1 for Yair's recommendation of Foliobook. But if an app isn't for you, Paul's generous knowledge base on his Foliobook support site might give you some insight into various ways to get images onto your iPad:

    Foliobook : Helpdesk
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Perhaps less professional in appearance but I simply use Dropbox. I have a Lightroom export (J Freidl's Tree Publisher plugin) output my portfolio collections from lightroom directly into the Photos folder in Dropbox and then I have them all available in the Dropbox app on the iPad and can flick through the images without problems.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Portfolio apps? I just sync photos via iTunes to folders in the Photos app, primitive, but whatever, it works for me. I just make sure to resize my images down to no more than 14mp's worth of resolution beforehand to make sure the iPad doesn't do any scaling. This is about 2x the screen resolution of the iPad3/4 (4096x3072). Never use Dropbox for getting photos on the iPad because it downsamples them to like 2mp or so, looks awful.

    I will have to look into these portfolio apps and what they do.
    Ditto, I just output the images 2x screen res to folders named accordingly in LR and use iTunes to sync those folders.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Nice... Foliobook looks like a good app. I had looked at ZenFolio a while back but they haven't updated their app in well over a year, nor does it look like it has the level of customization for layout that Foliobook does. I've stuck it out with the built-in Photos app and syncing from Aperture but it really is a very bare bones way of presenting photos.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Checkendon, UK
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Thanks to yaya and Lonna for mentioning Foliobook. I'm the developer and more than happy to answer any questions people may have about Foliobook or the other portfolio apps I know about.

    There's nothing wrong with using the simple approach of the Photo's app if it does the job. It benefits from simplicity and the fact that Apple built it and have the advantage of controlling the processing through iTunes, (thought they do 'optimise' images which slightly changes the colour representation).

    I should add that you can add JPG images to Foliobook (and some of the other portfolio apps) using Dropbox and this is useful when away from one's main computer. I find that I rarely now use iTunes because of this.
    Last edited by free1000; 22nd March 2013 at 08:55.

  9. #9
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

    Quote Originally Posted by free1000 View Post
    Thanks to yaya and Lonna for mentioning Foliobook. I'm the developer and more than happy to answer any questions people may have about Foliobook or the other portfolio apps I know about.

    There's nothing wrong with using the simple approach of the Photo's app if it does the job. It benefits from simplicity and the fact that Apple built it and have the advantage of controlling the processing through iTunes, (thought they do 'optimise' images which slightly changes the colour representation).

    I should add that you can add JPG images to Foliobook (and some of the other portfolio apps) using Dropbox and this is useful when away from one's main computer. I find that I rarely now use iTunes because of this.
    I can vouch for Foliobook. Worth every penny.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •