The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar LanTec

JGR

Hi folks,

I have been chatting with a dealer in the UK about this camera.. They are offering this cam with the Rodenstock 28mm f4.5 HR Digaron for around £6,000.

The lens is a little wider than what I am used to as my most used lens is 24mm but it sounds like a cracking deal.

Does anyone have any experience with this cam? I tried a google search with little luck. I can't help but get the feeling I should stay clear of this one, is it just me or am I right in thinking they are having problems selling this one?

PeterA

Sinar have gone a little bit silly with this camera - unlike their artec it isn't offered in Hy6 mount - which means that if you own a 75LVR from Sinar -or a Leaf afII 7 with inbuilt rotation - you can't mount Sinar's own mount on their own camera - which is essentially the same camera as an artec - sans tilt and swing.

Well done Sinar - continuously finding ways to screw with your past customers - you bunch of sillies:mad:

ok now that the ranting complaint is out of the way - it is a camera I have tested and is every bit as good as any Alpa I own - but not as portable or handholdable as an Alpa and not as technical as my artec

At this price point it is a bargain - and I am tempted anyway.

JGR

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely not be going back down the digital slr route. After owning a D3x and full set of PC-E lenses for a few years has mad eme aware of the flaws... Soft corners, CA's, etc particularly with the 24mm PC-E which was my most used lens and even though the Dx3 had good live view, I really did have difficulties when using shift and tilt together in getting crisp foregrounds. At first I thought it was me, only to find later that is was a flaw with this kit.

This has brought medium format back to my attention and really think it makes sense to purchase a tech camera and digital back but with a budget of £15-16k GBP I know I'm not going to end up with high end kit, well certainly when talking about the digital back.

I would love to think an IQ140, IQ160 with either of the following tech cams would be in sight Linhof Techno, Cambo, or Alpa.

But the dealer here in the UK threw a spanner in the works when he mentioned the deal with the Sinar Lantec and Rodenstock lens. Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do over the next few days as I'm currently camera-less at the moment and need to get back in the field asap.

Last edited:

Geoff

Intriguing offer, and tempting. PeterA's point about the AFI is on the mark, too bad they didn't offer this.

Sinar has poor distribution in the US and so seeing one is hard - they do look well made, and this is a heck of an offer. Not sure if the Lantec is more portable or pancake, or an in-between model. It would be nice to see one.

Last edited: