The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45mm F2.8 "D" Press Release

Dale Allyn

Guy, I think that's the best approach for working gear.

In my case, the older Mamiya glass is important because of the cost to image quality ratio. I hate to crop, so want lenses to be usable to the edges, but for now can not justify getting all new "D" lenses for this kit. Like you, I don't have any emotional attachment or a need to justify ownership of a lens by trying to convince myself that it's a great copy or whatever. Heck, right now I'm shooting very little, and mostly crap at that, so none of it really matters. ;)

Still, I'm thrilled that Mamiya and Phase are working towards some great solutions. I was looking forward to the 45-90 to reduce my kit size for landscape. The 75-150 would be good for this too. I'm carrying too many lenses around (when I actually get out) and while I prefer primes, I have lately been wishing I had the convenience of a zoom or two to reduce the number of lens changes in the field. The recession is kicking my butt, so lens changes and old glass it is for a while.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Totally understand and yes the Mamiya system is really nice because you can get some fine lenses for very little money and there good too. I like the 2 levels of lenses they have and they all produce very well . The D lenses are just better wide open or more towards wide open. I really like the system and i like the fact it is going to expand and grow. That part there has me excited about there future.

Guy Mancuso

Here is my 35mm out of the can as they say at F11 . I have a nice copy and this is without any sharpening. Corners or otherwise

Guy Mancuso

Than with the lens corrections including corner sharpness. Fixes the barrel also but If i can get between this and the 55mm which is killer sharp than I would be real happy

Dale Allyn

Looks good, but I'll bet I'm sure it looks even better on your display. I hate sharing on-line jpegs after I look at the original file as a tiff at full-res.

Guy Mancuso

Yea the tifs are something else as you know. I do love MF images , they just jump off the screen. Even better my clients are saying the same thing. As they say in the Visa ads "Priceless"

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well it arrived...

Summary so you don't have to read the rest --- it is the old lens in a new dress :(
~~~

THE GOOD:

1) The build quality is excellent, and of course has the AF/MF switch like the other D lenses.
2) AF is a lot faster and virtually silent.
3) The center 2/3rds at f4.5 and up is very good to excellent, and shows high contrast. May actually be better than the 55 here.
4) If you own a crop sensor back like the P30, then this lens is probably going to be excellent corner to corner.

THE DISAPPOINTING:

1) Optical performance is virtually the same as the old one I referenced earlier in this thread; not great.
2) At f2.8, lens is unusable; f4, barely usable; f4.5 and up center 2/3rds is crisp, but corners never come in on my P45+
3) Bottom line is the usable IC of this lens is less than the P45+ frame, and the image needs to be cropped to about 50mm proportions to have a sharp image corner to corner.
4) And when I say the corners never come in, I mean never: My 35 at f5.6 is *much* better in the extreme corner than the 45 is at f11. Seriously.

Cheers,

kdphotography

Bummer. :(

Don and I were just talking about the 45mm lens and hopes that it would be one of those "wow" D-series lenses ala 28mm, 75-150, and 150...as opposed to a minor update....

After your experience, it's probably a foregone conclusion now to see how this lens will hold up to the P65+...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Very disappointing to hear this Jack. Redress the old lens at a premium. Good for Mamiya/Phase margins, but does not offer much in optical performance for most users. Agree with Ken, how is this lens going to hold up on the P65+?

The spotted delivery record of new lenses from Mamiya certainly has to have Phase scratching their head.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

I like your new avatar bud. I really wanted the 45mm too . I may just stay pat and cancel my order. Still thinking about it.

kdphotography

Maybe just being the hopeless optimist that I am----and maybe Jack just got a "bad" copy..... :rolleyes:

Might be able to test the new 45mm on the P65+ in February...

ken

Guy Mancuso

I'm thinking the same thing Ken. May have Chris send it anyway and try a different copy that is coming next week or so.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Maybe just being the hopeless optimist that I am----and maybe Jack just got a "bad" copy..... :rolleyes:
Maybe, but it was virtually *identical* in performance to my last old version, which makes me think it's more endemic to how they perform...

Dale Allyn

Sorry to hear this, Jack. It would be a shame if Mamiya take the path of simply re-dressing their old lens line-up and raising the prices. I'm not thrilled about Mamiya moving into Hasselblad price territory in general, but if they do so with sub-par glass it will be suicide.

Guess I'll be holding on to my "last-generation" stuff for now (I shouldn't be thinking about upgrading now anyway ;) ).

I like the new avatar, Jack. Less intimidating! :ROTFL: