The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45mm F2.8 "D" Press Release

J

jmvdigital

Bummer about the lens. Do you think maybe this is just a "sample variation" (i.e., you got a dud)? Aside from the AF/MF ring switch, it seems there's no reason to ditch my 45mm non-D, which I got for a very nice used price.

PS: Jack, dig the avatar too. Took me a second to realize it was you posting, so used to associating with people's avatars.

faneuil

I've been shooting with a non D 45mm for a few weeks now.
Works well and I do notice the ever so slightly soft corners.

What surprises is me is the noise! (I mean acoustic here, not digital noise)
When it focuses it sound like a small garbage disposal.
Otherwise the lens works just fine and foucses accurately.

My other lenses foucus quietly and smoothly.

Is this the common experience or it my lens about to explode?

cheer,
Eric
http://www.korenman.com

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Some of the older lenses do sound horrible when focusing -- that was one of my positive comments on the new one, it is virtually silent in focus. The only non-AF switch lens I currently own is the 55, and mine is pretty quiet...

Dale Allyn

Hi Eric,

I've heard reports of differing noise levels from the various non-D lenses, but I have not experienced that in my kit. Most of my lenses are non-D, including the 45mm, and mine is rather quiet. In fact, it may bit quieter/smoother sounding than my 55mm - or sort of seemed so just now. In my kit, the non-AF clutched lenses all sound about the same in terms of mechanical fluidity, if you will.

Not sure that any of this is indicative of anything though.

What surprises is me is the noise! (I mean acoustic here, not digital noise)
When it focuses it sound like a small garbage disposal.
Otherwise the lens works just fine and foucses accurately.

My other lenses foucus quietly and smoothly.

Is this the common experience or it my lens about to explode?

cheer,
Eric
http://www.korenman.com