The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One CEO interview..

John Black

One word, vibration.

1.Shutter released
2.Mirror goes up
3.Aperture diaphragm closes down to desired f-stop
4.Focal plane shutter opens
5.Camera starts exposure electronically
6.Central shutter closes
7.Aperture opens
8.Focal plane shutter closes
9.Central shutter opens
10.Mirror returns

Now, I admit I've never used an S but would imagine that vibration could be a issue even with the mirror locked up. Most of my exposures are in the range of 1/15 sec to 8 sec so I'd prefer the simplicity and lack of vibration inherent in a leaf shutter system.
Keith, the Leica S2's shutter is very smooth. It's nothing like the Phase One / Mamiya contraption that kicks and bucks like a 2-stroke engine. The S2 isn't quite as dampened as my 1Ds3, but it's pretty darn close. I would expect things to be even smoother with the CS lenses (never used a CS lens on my S2).

KeithL

Folks, the point is given the choice I'd always choose a leaf shutter system. I have no need for high sync speeds.

I posted a question here a couple of days ago for which I've had no replies. I'll repost it here in the hope that someone can help.

I’m currently shooting Hasselblad H series and thinking of adding a Nikon D800E. Almost all of my current exposures are in the range 1/15 second to 8 seconds. I’ve never experienced any vibration problems using the H leaf shutters - always use mirror-up with the Blad and would use liveview with the Nikon - and was just wondering if I should be at all concerned about the focal plane shutter on the Nikon at similar exposures?

Thanks

KeithL

The S2 isn't quite as dampened as my 1Ds3, but it's pretty darn close. I would expect things to be even smoother with the CS lenses (never used a CS lens on my S2).
John, the point is when using the Central Shutter lenses the Focal Plane Shutter is still deployed and adding to the vibration.

KeithL

I have many captures with loss of sharpness with mirror locked up on the S2-P...longer focal lengths at speeds faster than 1/15 second...probably analagous to the P67.

Much better even handheld with the H39II as no focal plane shutter was involved....killed the system for landscape for me.

Bob
Bob, when I first started using the H series I was amazed by the lack of vibration. At times it was difficult to tell if an exposure had been made.

re: fps + leaf shutter in the S
Need I remind about this article? - The New ALPA 12 FPS

Scroll down to where they are comparing a Copal leaf shutter to the ALPA 12 - "You will need a good monitor to look at these two images, particularly because things are not quite as clear with a JPEG, but if you look carefully at the edges of the numbers, at the fine textures and at the fine "pebble like" finish of the background in the license plate I trust you will agree that the image on the bottom is sharper and shows finer detail. (the FPS result)" The shutter used in the ALPA 12 is modified Mamiya unit.

I think any worries about shutter vibrations need to be put to rest with a simple objective test. It could be a current design limitation that requires the S to activate both shutters, but it's also no guarantee that even so, the damping might be good enough for it to not matter. If you had to pick any manufacturer that knew the most about soft shutters, it'd be Leica; for them to overlook something like that would be like hiring a model, but no hairdresser or makeup artist.

KeithL

I think any worries about shutter vibrations need to be put to rest with a simple objective test. It could be a current design limitation that requires the S to activate both shutters, but it's also no guarantee that even so, the damping might be good enough for it to not matter. If you had to pick any manufacturer that knew the most about soft shutters, it'd be Leica; for them to overlook something like that would be like hiring a model, but no hairdresser or makeup artist.
We've already had docmoore indicate that there can be issues.

But hey, as I've said, for my work, and given the choice of shutter for medium format, I'd go with a leaf based system every time.