Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smart Flex L-Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smart Flex L-Plate

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Sunchai, you seem to know a lot about this product so do you work for Smart Flex?

Sunchai, I think it's pretty obvious that you are either part of the Smart Flex L-Plate design/engineering team and/or an interested party in marketing and selling the Smart Flex L-Plate.

This is not a bad thing! But please be open in disclosing your background and relationship to the Smart Flex L-Plate. The GetDPI community is a bit different in that we enjoy having dealers/manufacturers participate. It makes us feel important. Seriously, though disclose your background and relationship. You're getting very real feedback from experienced medium format digital photographers---and everyone here wants to see innovative companies adding to the medium format digital experience succeed.

Thank you Sunchai, and welcome to the GetDPI family.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I received the following private message from Sunchai in response to my query.

Dear Don,

Thank you for your interesting at the smart Flex L-Plate forum.
    as the master of fact I am the owner of the patent of the smart Flex.
    I have designed this unit at the first place just like to help our customer in the protrait studio as they have so many problems to keep the composition when change from H to V.
    as I say , it is my interest to bring in the fact and may be useful information.
    Thank you and very best regards, sunchai.
    This clears the mystery (if there ever was) of who Sunchai is and hoe he know so much. As Ken said, welcome to the Getdpi family. It's always better to hear from the horses mouth.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Smart Flex L-Plate

Hi, Ken,Don, and .......,

Thank you for the warm welcome to GetDPI family, that make me feel like home even our mother tongue is difference. I have Thai and most of you have English,so please forgive me, if my writing have a mistake here and there.

My background,

we are the importer for the photographic equipment such as PhaseOne, Sinar, Cambo, Foba, Bowens, LPL, Beseller,JOBO and etc. (just like to give some idea that we are in quite some time, some of them was gone for long time). and that where I have learned photography.

I have collected the knowledge and also problems from professional photographer from time to time (long long time and thank you for their sharing with me) and that was the trigger point where the opportunity came in and have turn from not only selling things but also making things.

Let see ,if some of us may remember at the time of Phase One Lightphase, the first sticking adapter working on 4x5 camera to increase not only data but the capture area and many other adapter follow by which no need to mention it.
    That should be enough for my background and sorry if this is too much.

Thank you for Don posted, the message is clear.

again, please forgive ,English is my bitter pill.

Thank you for all.

Sunchai.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been experimenting quite a lot yesterday with different adapter solutions and also different HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM lenses .

Now , you find the SMART FLEX L-PLATE a great tool and you want it .
    Great . I love it .

Your first question now should be , what do I want to do with that tool ?
    Sounds simple , but that question also decides what kind of adapter you should go for .
    My consideration is not based on the ARCA brand adapters .

Now , if you are going to use that tool only to have a fast and comfortable way to change between horizontal and vertical shooting , you would only need a small adapter , as Sunchai's or mine shows you in the previous posts .
    If you want to do panos and must achieve the NPP (no parallax point) , (Some say nodal point , which is actually wrong) , for your lenses , you might find , that the built in sliding length is too short for some lenses .
    I found this for the CZ 4/40 DISTAGON IF , then you need either a longer adapter or you must use a rail system .
    A longer adapter does not seem to be an issue , but if you are going to use a rail system , then your adapter must be able to slide onto the rail system holder , which is 90 degrees shifted .
    For that case , I have reworked a NOVOFLEX QPL-AT1 , which I still had , but the "QPL Video" is actually the same , and 20€ cheaper .
    Novoflex - Wechselplatten Q=System

I have also found that Sunwayfoto have adapters which could be used without any or very little rework . Have a look here .
    FlashLightShop - Fenix Importeur - FlashLightShop - Fenix Importeur - LED Taschenlampen mit gratis Lasergravur (LD20, TK11, TK12 u.v.m.), Wolf-Eyes, Leatherman, INOVA, WiseLed, SureFire, Onlineshop

Scan down on the left column for Sunwayfoto and look for DPG-50U up to DPG-120D .
    These adapters have one "lip" only , but that is ok. They say its ARCA compatible . I don't know , if that is true , but I will order the DPG-120D .
    That adapter would increase your sliding possibility (in the direction of the lens) by about 80mm . So you would possibly not need a rail system for panos with some of your lenses .

Here the NOVOFLEX QPL-AT1 , one lip only , but works in either direction .
    Attachment 72651

If you have any questions , feel free to come back .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The SUNWAYFOTO DPG-50U seems to be the best candidate for SMART FLEX use as standard adapter . ARCA compatibility guaranteed . Available also on #-bay .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

The camera plate which supply with the Smart Flex kit can be mounted to the P1or Mamiya 645 in both way.

To shoot with pano. The camera plate have to mounted like figure 1.

The camera plate length is 78.5mm. this specific length have been designed to allow the auto settle of the NPP (no parallax point) or nodals point to the Phaseone LS 80mm lens. And this can be set by moved the camera backward unit lock. The NPP point for the difference lens is also possible on this standard plate as the plate with the camera and lens can be move forwards and backwards.
    But in the case that the longer NPP or nodals point is needed (such as the P1 28mm lens or), it will be necessary to working on the extra base.

Sunchai.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here a list of NPP's for some HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM lenses .
    That will give you an idea , if you need an extra rail (longer adapter)

Attachment 72738
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I guarantee you that if you make this with the Arca plate on it you'll sell every copy that any of the dealers pick up. I know practically nobody who uses a camera mounting system with medium format who doesn't either use the full size or micro Arca or RRS/Kirk mounts.

Like others here I've been through the pain of using screw in tripod plates and they ALWAYS twist unless they have either registration pins or some form of anti-twist or body mount. That includes all of the Manfrotto rectangular, octagonal and generic Gitzo plates that all sit in my 'never to be used again crap' drawer.
    with carefully read and noted, the extra plate may be add on if needed.
    This smartflex arca plate will mounted to the base by 2 of ¼ screws and this will make it as one part to the base. At the center of the plate is 3/8 thread hole just in case.
    And at the end of the plate is the protection slide locker to prevent the slip off. The slide locker can only be use when the size of the arca clamp less than 76mm.
    May I noted, the metal have to cutting off concerning to the weight
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

If, may like to see Phase One opinion.

Sunchai.

Attachment 73354
    Last edited by Sunchai; 1st June 2013 at 02:31.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little bit playing around with the SMARTFLEX L-PLATE .
    A great tool .

503CW + DISTAGON 4/50 FLE + CFV39 + SMARTFLEX 4 vertical image stitch . Toned in SILVER EFEX PRO
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

@jotloob - what benefits did you find using the Smartflex for this compared to a regular pan head?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPtak View Post
    @jotloob - what benefits did you find using the Smartflex for this compared to a regular pan head?
    The SMARTFLEX L-PLATE has not been propagated as a MF panohead tool .
    Although it can be used as such , with ristrictions of course .

I think the main purpose of this tool is , to enable the user to turn his camera from horizontal to vertical shooting position within seconds .
    There is NO need to remove your camera including your L-Plate from the tripod head and mount it back on again . You could call this also handling safety .
    No other L-plate on the market can do that , as far as I know .
    The smartflex is small , light , very solid and very easy to handle .

For MFD cameras , where the back can not be turned to a vertical position , this tool is a great advantage . On the other hand , compared to a back which can be turned , with the smartflex , you obtain the same results , but at a much lower cost .
    I can now easily shoot in portrait mode without putting my CUBE into extreme positions .

Andy
    The pano you see above is just the result of playing around a bit to see what can be done with the smartflex .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the bottom line on Phase One Arca plate with 3/8" screw?

Is there one available? I tried following the links mentioned and couldn't find anything.

Do I need to machine it myself?

What are the Phase One users of this bracket doing? Staying with the 1/4" screw?

Post Thanks / Like

The last I heard was that Phase One DF users need to use the reducer bushing, generally included with the camera, and a tiny part you lost in some drawer a long time ago.

I'd rather use the larger 3/8". At the very least, *hint* the folks at Smart Flex L-Plate should include this rather nominal cost 1/4" reducer bushing in the package.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I can drill a hole in the plate and pass the 3/8" screw.

My problem is I don't have the original bushing with the tiny screw hole, and the aftermarket bushings have a giant hole that doesn't hold the tiny screw, and are also very breakable.

I've never used 1/4" with this camera before, as all the plates I've used had 3/8" screws in them.

Sunchai thinks 1/4" is just fine.

It's not a huge problem, but I would very much prefer a 3/8" plate.
    I guess once I decide for sure to keep it, I will drill the plate.
    It's strange that Arca don't make that plate with that screw, or at least I couldn't find it.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I have with it is when I use the EM release cable, it is a tight fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    The last I heard was that Phase One DF users need to use the reducer bushing, generally included with the camera, and a tiny part you lost in some drawer a long time ago.

I'd rather use the larger 3/8". At the very least, *hint* the folks at Smart Flex L-Plate should include this rather nominal cost 1/4" reducer bushing in the package.

ken
    Hi, Ken Thank you for your suggestion I will ask if I can buy this original reducer bushing from Phase One.
    As it not just the bushing but it have to have the losing protection screw , picture is clear.

Thanks Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeaemd View Post
    The only problem I have with it is when I use the EM release cable, it is a tight fit.
    There are two ways of mounting the camera to the Smart Flex Plate.
    Mounting like the picture no.1 as attached will be the most useful working with EM release.
    Please also see the reference picture #23 and #55 in this forum
    Thanks, Sunchai.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious why when this was designed to decide to go with the smaller mounting screw instead of the original larger and in my opinion much safer 3/8"?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I think the plate comes directly from Arca Swiss, so they're the only ones who can answer.

Post Thanks / Like

My sense is that the tiny "locking screw" in the reducer bushing adds some degree of stiffness or stability on top of intended purpose of securing the bushing.

By including this rather nominal part, it makes it easier for the end-user to use and enjoy the Smart Flex L-Plate. I would think this would help sales when prospective users know a product is ready-to-go out of the box.

While it is true that residents of Dante's Inferno often have one or two of everything (3 or more if you're Graham or Guy) it doesn't necessarily mean we can find those tiny bits and pieces immediately in the storage cabinet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . .

While it is true that residents of Dante's Inferno often have one or two of everything (3 or more if you're Graham or Guy) it doesn't necessarily mean we can find those tiny bits and pieces immediately in the storage cabinet...
    lovely .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Sunchai offered to make me a threaded 3/8" plate - so I can't complain.
    I suggest to anyone ordering for Phase One, to ask for the 3/8" plate in advance.

On the bracket itself I can say it is very expensive, but it seems to be the only product available that delivers a proper solution to the vertical problem. It works very well on a 645AFD, and with the Arca plate, it provides a solution to all the problems that may arise with the cables and camera controls.

The best solution would be a rotation mechanism inside the body like in GX680 - hopefully Phase One put that into the next generation body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I'm curious why when this was designed to decide to go with the smaller mounting screw instead of the original larger and in my opinion much safer 3/8"?

Don
    Hi Don

When consider how Mamiya have assembled the reducer with the protection screw. It is my understanding that Mamiya may have the intention to use ¼ socket as the priority to the tripod .
    The installation is strong and not easy to take it off (it was glue with some kind of locktype).
    So the smart flex has heading with 1/4 screw.

it is no doubt the 3/8 screw is stronger but the ¼ screw is also strong.
    The following rough calculation may give some information.

the Load of ¼ inch screw is 2192 Lb.
    the load of 3/8 inch screw is 5354 Lb.
    weight of Phase One or Mamiya body is (1030g.or2.266 Lb.)
    weight of the most heavy lens is75-150mm = (1800g. or 3.96 Lb.)
    weight of the digital is difference belong to what digital back is mounting on,
    the weight given with in 2000g. or 4.4 Lb.
    total weight = body+digitalback+lens (2.266+3.96+4.4)= 10.626 Lb.or 4,830g.

Thanks, Sunchai.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All well and good in theory but their own (and RRS) L brackets all have 3/8ths screws on them. If you've used one of these previously then you end up having to find the reducing bushing for the mount.

I too had to hunt down a reducing bushing that fits in to the DF that I have as I had the RRS L plate on it before.

I do appreciate the option of fitting a base plate with a larger contact area for the head clamp than the small square mounts on the RRS and Phase One plates.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    All well and good in theory but their own (and RRS) L brackets all have 3/8ths screws on them. If you've used one of these previously then you end up having to find the reducing bushing for the mount.

I too had to hunt down a reducing bushing that fits in to the DF that I have as I had the RRS L plate on it before.

I do appreciate the option of fitting a base plate with a larger contact area for the head clamp than the small square mounts on the RRS and Phase One plates.
    Hi, Graham,

thank you so much for your pointed, I see ,it will more convenience to use the 3/8 screw in your case.

The modification for 3/8 screw can be made by the manufacture in Thailand.

However, the ¼ screw is supplying with Smart Flex L-Plate and the 3/8 screw adapter can be supply if requested (this adapter have to order from Phase One.)

thanks
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to attach some update:
    Please also visit for more detail:
    SmartFex: L-Plate | Demo

Best Regards,

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Sunchai!

It looks like the Smart Flex L-Plate has just become a mature system and much more desirable, particularly since a lot of photographers have multiple camera systems (e.g., Phase DF and DSLR).

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Ken,
    and also thank you for all of the posts and comments , it is very useful and help for the modification.
    Yes, the same L-bracket can be work with difference cameras by specific plate.
    Best Regards,
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Sunchai,

The improvements in the V2 system are marvellous! It is so pleasing to see the built-in Arca plate, and the broadening of the system to other cameras. You listened to the customer base, and I hope that your business will now reap the rewards.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ray,

Thank you so much for your comments, it is useful and effected to the improvement.

Best Regards,

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Smart Flex L-Plate

I am also like to share the information for those who have the question.

Best Regards,

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, we had a request for whether there is room for the tether cable to clear the SmartFlex Bracket for the Leica S Camera, and there is. See attached images (thanks Sunchai).

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Let me have some short update :

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is the question so the image is clear.

The room of the flange distance is clear when setting up with the Smart Flex L-Plate.
    This will allow the Rodenstock HR Digaron-W32mm/f4 to be use with the Sony A7r.

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

the stand alone Swing and Tilt unit have +13/-13 degree of movement and it self-locking.
    The red line showing the center of the tilting movement.
    The red arrow showing the direction of the movement when turning the tilt knob.
    And the same also applied to the Swing.

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the question from Phase One friend Germany:

What is the shortest lens that is possible use with and without DF body and Copal Shutter?

3 family of lenes can be use.

With the DF body (the picture showing setting at infinity focus)

Lens from the copal family, the 90mm should be the shortest one.
    (in the image is SK Apo digitar 4.5/90mm)
    From the Hasselblad family at the infinity focusing, it's still have small room to play with,
    From the RZ,RB family is no question, it have lot of space to play with.

Without the DF body the picture is clear that the edge of the lens can come very close to the image plane. Then all lens should be add in.

Post Thanks / Like

The question is:

Can phase one camera body go with Hasselblad lens? still have rise and fall plus swing...

Also any chance can your smart carrier go rise and fall 3.5cm each way?

Thanks,so much for your interesting

With the Has. Lens and DF body it is only small room to play at infinity focus.
    +10/-10mm. shifting should be ok or swing and tilt for 5 degree.
    However it will be more room to play with when doing the close up.

The rise and fall on the rear standard of the carrier is limit to +14/-14mm.
    if it may help…. the rise and fall on front standard will plus more of
    the vertical shifting distance.
    However,It will not help if the stitching on the rear standard is the case.

Only with P1 body and Sony A7r (for now) the horizontal shift can be
    increase to +28/-28 mm.as the L bracket of Smart Flex able to do +14/-14mm.
    and the Smart Flex base able to slide on the Smart Carrier for+14/-14mm.

Thanks, Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Can this Smartflex L Plate be used with a Cambo WRS 1200?
    Can someone share a picture of it attached to a Cambo?
    I am just curious if its possible to use it and whether WRS-145 plate is still needed for it to be used with a Arca Swiss type tripod head.
    IQ3 100 • Cambo 1600 • Rodenstock 23,32,50,90 • Zeiss 350SA
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you're doing---you've got a Cambo WRS 1600 on your mind...

I don't think you need to use the WRS-145 plate. On my previous Cambo I used a RRS plate instead, attached to the Cube. I think here the question is as long as you can securely attach the Cambo to the Smartflex with a "generic plate" as a specific camera plate probably is not available as it is with mainstream camera bodies.

Here I think the issue is more a matter of width----how wide is the Smartflex L Plate attachment to allow attaching to your Cambo, clearing the wood handles---so when orientation is shifted, the lens remains centered. CI carries the Smartflex---I'd call and ask them to see if they can affix the SmartFlex to the Cambo. It's not an inexpensive option, so definitely worth the call. https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/ I tried to do something similar with a generic L bracket, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...L_Bracket.html ---it somewhat worked but the bracket was not quite long enough to keep the lens centered over the tripod.

It might just might be easier to sell/trade in your Cambo 1200 and get the new Cambo WRS 1600 that you really want. Assuming it fits, the Smartflex is still about a $700 add-on, and adds quite a bit of bulk and weight. Of course, Sunchai might just be able to come up with something that works for you.

Seamless horizontal-vertical switching aside, I like the Cambo WRS 1600 better---it has a nicer svelte profile which I like, without the standard large wood handles that sometimes get in the way.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone is in need of a Flex base plate for Hasselblad V bodies, just PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you're doing---you've got a Cambo WRS 1600 on your mind...

It might just might be easier to sell/trade in your Cambo 1200 and get the new Cambo WRS 1600 that you really want.
    Ken
    Yes you got me there, Ken.
    I was just hoping that I could get away on the cheap.
    But ain't nothing cheap in the inferno.
    Probably best to do it right and just take the 1600 plunge
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I bought the smart flex for Hasselblad H it's a good idea but it's not a finished solution. It could have been really simple it made correctly to sell world wide with ease.

Why didn't the H adapter plate have the exact fitting for the base of camera?
    Why is the vertical position base to short to not allow H camera to center over tripod whe rotated?
    And finally why is the Arca Swiss compatible grooves missing?

I have it and I use it and every time I say to myself WHY couldn't it be made right from the beginning and why is there still not an upgradable product or solution?

Bab

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    So I bought the smart flex for Hasselblad H it's a good idea but it's not a finished solution. It could have been really simple it made correctly to sell world wide with ease.

Why didn't the H adapter plate have the exact fitting for the base of camera?
    Why is the vertical position base to short to not allow H camera to center over tripod whe rotated?
    And finally why is the Arca Swiss compatible grooves missing?

I have it and I use it and every time I say to myself WHY couldn't it be made right from the beginning and why is there still not an upgradable product or solution?

Bab

I was sent one shortly after it was released to try and found I personally didn't like it and returned it. Very typical as I see it with any photo gear; you either love something or don't, it either works for you or it doesn't. If it works keep using it; if it doesn't return it.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You actually STILL use cables with the XF?

Very interesting. Only stickler on L-plates for the Phase camera body is making sure there is enough clearance to use the electromagnetic release cable. It was hard to see on the video, but looks like you can still use the cable, or at least without much interference.

I'd like to know more!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    Yes you got me there, Ken.
    I was just hoping that I could get away on the cheap.
    But ain't nothing cheap in the inferno.
    Probably best to do it right and just take the 1600 plunge

I had a play with several different camera bodies, release plates, etc. (see attached)

I think it's telling (damning?) that on this forum,a nearly $700 L Bracket is spoken of as an inexpensive option!

Jawad, I think you're on the right track here, and you're better off with the WRS 1600 of course! To consider any other course of action just wouldn't be holding with the spirit of Dante.

On the other hand, you could consider yourself a rebel and opt for the carefully removing my IQ3 100 and carefully rotating/reseating it plan of action. As long as you perform each procedure perfectly, your cost is nothing.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Name:  IMG_8739.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  250.6 KB
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    You actually STILL use cables with the XF?
    I'm actually having a hard time using a cable release on the XF body. Using a cable release is one of those *tricks* to use when you get a "blinker" in portraiture. I don't know exactly why this works, but when I get a subject that is a "blinker" (uncanny sense and ability to blink when you press the shutter)---I shift to a cable release and *presto* the number of keepers without eyes closed goes up dramatically.

I think it is the RRS L-bracket that I have that makes it impossible for me to use the cable release when the camera is in portrait orientation on the camera stand/tripod. The cable entry port is blocked by the tripod/stand release plate when in portrait orientation. I have a spacer block, but that is a total pita to use.

Not a fan of the new Hahnel release cable, but I don't think the new BOB will help either. But yes---still use a release on occasion.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually having a hard time using a cable release on the XF body. Using a cable release is one of those *tricks* to use when you get a "blinker" in portraiture. I don't know exactly why this works, but when I get a subject that is a "blinker" (uncanny sense and ability to blink when you press the shutter)---I shift to a cable release and *presto* the number of keepers without eyes closed goes up dramatically.

I think it is the RRS L-bracket that I have that makes it impossible for me to use the cable release when the camera is in portrait orientation on the camera stand/tripod. The cable entry port is blocked by the tripod/stand release plate when in portrait orientation. I have a spacer block, but that is a total pita to use.

Not a fan of the new Hahnel release cable, but I don't think the new BOB will help either. But yes---still use a release on occasion.

Don't forget the duck tape as well
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I had a play with several different camera bodies, release plates, etc. (see attached)

I think it's telling (damning?) that on this forum,a nearly $700 L Bracket is spoken of as an inexpensive option!

Jawad, I think you're on the right track here, and you're better off with the WRS 1600 of course! To consider any other course of action just wouldn't be holding with the spirit of Dante.

On the other hand, you could consider yourself a rebel and opt for the carefully removing my IQ3 100 and carefully rotating/reseating it plan of action. As long as you perform each procedure perfectly, your cost is nothing.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Thanks for the picture Steve. Smartflex bracket does not appear to be a very good option for Cambo WRS.
    Yes, it is indeed telling/damning that a $700 bracket gave me the illusion of an attempt to save some money.
    Truth be told I mostly shoot in landscape orientation, as it feels more natural to me, but it is for the 5-10% of times when ease of switching to portrait orientation, without fear or risk of damaging a very expensive digital back, would be quite nice to have.

I think I'll be sending my WRS 1200 over to you as trade in, some time soon
    UnTroubled Land