The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smart Flex L-Plate

jotloob

Subscriber Member
@jotloob - what benefits did you find using the Smartflex for this compared to a regular pan head?
The SMARTFLEX L-PLATE has not been propagated as a MF panohead tool .
Although it can be used as such , with ristrictions of course .

I think the main purpose of this tool is , to enable the user to turn his camera from horizontal to vertical shooting position within seconds .
There is NO need to remove your camera including your L-Plate from the tripod head and mount it back on again . You could call this also handling safety .
No other L-plate on the market can do that , as far as I know .
The smartflex is small , light , very solid and very easy to handle .

For MFD cameras , where the back can not be turned to a vertical position , this tool is a great advantage . On the other hand , compared to a back which can be turned , with the smartflex , you obtain the same results , but at a much lower cost .
I can now easily shoot in portrait mode without putting my CUBE into extreme positions .

Andy
The pano you see above is just the result of playing around a bit to see what can be done with the smartflex .

shlomi

So what is the bottom line on Phase One Arca plate with 3/8" screw?

Is there one available? I tried following the links mentioned and couldn't find anything.

Do I need to machine it myself?

What are the Phase One users of this bracket doing? Staying with the 1/4" screw?

kdphotography

The last I heard was that Phase One DF users need to use the reducer bushing, generally included with the camera, and a tiny part you lost in some drawer a long time ago. :p

I'd rather use the larger 3/8". At the very least, *hint* the folks at Smart Flex L-Plate should include this rather nominal cost 1/4" reducer bushing in the package.

ken

shlomi

I can drill a hole in the plate and pass the 3/8" screw.

My problem is I don't have the original bushing with the tiny screw hole, and the aftermarket bushings have a giant hole that doesn't hold the tiny screw, and are also very breakable.

I've never used 1/4" with this camera before, as all the plates I've used had 3/8" screws in them.

Sunchai thinks 1/4" is just fine.

It's not a huge problem, but I would very much prefer a 3/8" plate.
I guess once I decide for sure to keep it, I will drill the plate.
It's strange that Arca don't make that plate with that screw, or at least I couldn't find it.

Sunchai

The last I heard was that Phase One DF users need to use the reducer bushing, generally included with the camera, and a tiny part you lost in some drawer a long time ago. :p

I'd rather use the larger 3/8". At the very least, *hint* the folks at Smart Flex L-Plate should include this rather nominal cost 1/4" reducer bushing in the package.

ken
Hi, Ken Thank you for your suggestion I will ask if I can buy this original reducer bushing from Phase One.
As it not just the bushing but it have to have the losing protection screw , picture is clear.

Thanks Sunchai.

Sunchai

The only problem I have with it is when I use the EM release cable, it is a tight fit.
There are two ways of mounting the camera to the Smart Flex Plate.
Mounting like the picture no.1 as attached will be the most useful working with EM release.
Please also see the reference picture #23 and #55 in this forum
Thanks, Sunchai.

Don Libby

I'm curious why when this was designed to decide to go with the smaller mounting screw instead of the original larger and in my opinion much safer 3/8"?

Don

kdphotography

My sense is that the tiny "locking screw" in the reducer bushing adds some degree of stiffness or stability on top of intended purpose of securing the bushing.

By including this rather nominal part, it makes it easier for the end-user to use and enjoy the Smart Flex L-Plate. I would think this would help sales when prospective users know a product is ready-to-go out of the box.

While it is true that residents of Dante's Inferno often have one or two of everything (3 or more if you're Graham or Guy) it doesn't necessarily mean we can find those tiny bits and pieces immediately in the storage cabinet... :ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . .

While it is true that residents of Dante's Inferno often have one or two of everything (3 or more if you're Graham or Guy) it doesn't necessarily mean we can find those tiny bits and pieces immediately in the storage cabinet... :ROTFL:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: lovely .

shlomi

Sunchai offered to make me a threaded 3/8" plate - so I can't complain.
I suggest to anyone ordering for Phase One, to ask for the 3/8" plate in advance.

On the bracket itself I can say it is very expensive, but it seems to be the only product available that delivers a proper solution to the vertical problem. It works very well on a 645AFD, and with the Arca plate, it provides a solution to all the problems that may arise with the cables and camera controls.

The best solution would be a rotation mechanism inside the body like in GX680 - hopefully Phase One put that into the next generation body.

Sunchai

I'm curious why when this was designed to decide to go with the smaller mounting screw instead of the original larger and in my opinion much safer 3/8"?

Don
Hi Don

When consider how Mamiya have assembled the reducer with the protection screw. It is my understanding that Mamiya may have the intention to use ¼ socket as the priority to the tripod .
The installation is strong and not easy to take it off (it was glue with some kind of locktype).
So the smart flex has heading with 1/4 screw.

it is no doubt the 3/8 screw is stronger but the ¼ screw is also strong.
The following rough calculation may give some information.

the Load of ¼ inch screw is 2192 Lb.
the load of 3/8 inch screw is 5354 Lb.
weight of Phase One or Mamiya body is (1030g.or2.266 Lb.)
weight of the most heavy lens is75-150mm = (1800g. or 3.96 Lb.)
weight of the digital is difference belong to what digital back is mounting on,
the weight given with in 2000g. or 4.4 Lb.
total weight = body+digitalback+lens (2.266+3.96+4.4)= 10.626 Lb.or 4,830g.

Thanks, Sunchai.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All well and good in theory but their own (and RRS) L brackets all have 3/8ths screws on them. If you've used one of these previously then you end up having to find the reducing bushing for the mount.

I too had to hunt down a reducing bushing that fits in to the DF that I have as I had the RRS L plate on it before.

I do appreciate the option of fitting a base plate with a larger contact area for the head clamp than the small square mounts on the RRS and Phase One plates.

Sunchai

All well and good in theory but their own (and RRS) L brackets all have 3/8ths screws on them. If you've used one of these previously then you end up having to find the reducing bushing for the mount.

I too had to hunt down a reducing bushing that fits in to the DF that I have as I had the RRS L plate on it before.

I do appreciate the option of fitting a base plate with a larger contact area for the head clamp than the small square mounts on the RRS and Phase One plates.
Hi, Graham,

thank you so much for your pointed, I see ,it will more convenience to use the 3/8 screw in your case.

The modification for 3/8 screw can be made by the manufacture in Thailand.

However, the ¼ screw is supplying with Smart Flex L-Plate and the 3/8 screw adapter can be supply if requested (this adapter have to order from Phase One.)

thanks
Sunchai.

kdphotography

Very nice, Sunchai!

It looks like the Smart Flex L-Plate has just become a mature system and much more desirable, particularly since a lot of photographers have multiple camera systems (e.g., Phase DF and DSLR).

ken

Sunchai

Thank you so much Ken,:D
and also thank you for all of the posts and comments , it is very useful and help for the modification.
Yes, the same L-bracket can be work with difference cameras by specific plate.
Best Regards,
Sunchai.

ondebanks

Sunchai,

The improvements in the V2 system are marvellous! It is so pleasing to see the built-in Arca plate, and the broadening of the system to other cameras. You listened to the customer base, and I hope that your business will now reap the rewards.

Ray