The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is my H4D-40 sensor going bad?

richieboone

Hi, I having viewing this site for some time. Thanks to everyone I have gained a lot of knowledge. The reason for my post is this:
I was shooting my HD4-40 tethered to Lighttroom 4 and every so often this is what I would get. Anyone ever see this before?

should have looked like this:

Jay Emm

Happens every now and again with Phocus tether with me too. I assume a corrupt file in the data transfer process not a sensor issue. Whacky.

richieboone

I tried shooting a bunch with just the card--all is fine.
I wonder if a better firewire cable would help? Right now I'm using the firewire 800-400 cable then I got an adapter on the 400 side to make it 800 to fit in my Macpro tower. (Wonder if that may be part of it?).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like a connection issue with transferring image to computer. I would try another FireWire cable. Looks like some type of interruption of data passing from camera to computer.

6x7

I just took 17 shots using Phocus this time and 2 of them did the same thing:
this occasionally also happened to me while shooting a P30 (non tethered). it may be a issue with the data writing process. but… my results where by far not so pleasing like yours.

please make a tiff out of it, put your details in the exif and send it over to me. (in case you plan to trash it). i really like the second "accident".

best regards, paul

neil

I also really like the second image. I think you better keep these accidental images. They have something about them

Neil

richieboone

Here is a file with all the data in it.
Just for the record, I was using Elinchrom Ranger w/Skyport and the camera was about 2 feet from the strobe. The firewire cable was 800 on one side 400 on the other with an adapter to allow the 400 to fit in an 800 port on MacPro tower.
Here is the image, hopefully photobucket doesn't strip the exif data:

dqv

i've had my old h4d-40 send in twice, first time the sensor was dead.
shooting on card and thethered gave me a black bar in the image.
so it doesn't seem this is your problem.
The second time my pcb was broken.

1. Just to be sure it's your cable try to shoot a bunch on card
if sometimes on card will give corrupt files as well then it's your pcb that is broken.

2. Buy a new cable if it works then it was your cable

3. Buy a new cable and if it is still weird then it's a defective PCB in the back
(try on multiple systems)

good luck

d

dqv

or buy a Phase P25+ put it on a hasselblad V and shoot faster then the back can handle will give you a nicer effect then this.

D