The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions of Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital 105mm f5.6

J

J. D. F. L.

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a lens for my Sinar P2 / P45+ couple, and i'm wondering if someone had some opinions about this rodenstock lens for product photography.

Thanks guys !

Julien

routlaw

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a lens for my Sinar P2 / P45+ couple, and i'm wondering if someone had some opinions about this rodenstock lens for product photography.

Thanks guys !

Julien
I have owned this lens for years though it hasn't been used with an MFDB but rather my Betterlight scan back on a Cambo Ultima as well as my Nikons with the 35 mm DSLR conversion kit on the Ultima. In a word these lenses are great so long as you know how to get the most from them. By that I mean they are optimized for F8-F11 and once you get to F16 you might as well have used an excellent conventional LF film based lens such as the Rody APO 135 Sironar S one of the sharpest film lenses ever made IMHO. The newer HR lenses are optimized from wide open (usually F5.6) to F11 and everything else being equal most likely perform better than the standard APO digital lenses but this comes at a very steep price. The 105 has a larger image circle than the shorter focal length lenses within the lineup which can be beneficial.

Hope this helps.