Site Sponsors

Thread: Kapture Group cable

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kapture Group cable

I have been using the capture group cable for some time now and had occasional errors with the back syncing properly.

On a recent trip, especially on longer exposures, 1/4s or less, it became quite frequent. Particularly when doing LCC's when I had to leave the shutter open longer. On T and B it was even worse.

Luckily, I had my backup, 2 cable solution. I was able to use this with 0 latency as well as the two-push method without any issues. The 0 latency does eat through batteries and I have heard could heat up the back and introduce unwanted noise, although I have not personally done any testing in any controlled sense.

Has anyone experienced this? Just wondering if I have a defective cable or if there is some issue that I am not aware of.

Cheers...

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Kapture Group cable

This sounds like my experiences with the KG cable and why I ended up biting the bullet and buying the Alpa release instead. It also will occasionally double trigger but I know when & why (if the adapter gets a little loose). It cost 2x the KG adapter but it is more reliable and better built. I ended up buying two not because I wanted to but because I typically shoot two lenses and it was easier to have one on each as it takes time to replace it each time.

I also use zero latency mode with my IQ back. It does build up heat if you don't turn it off after a while. In fact it'll literally get almost red hot if you forget and don't have an auto power off enabled - one of my shooting buddies here did this in So. Cal and his IQ was literally too hot to handle.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was using KG cable with Hasselblad 203FE and Leaf Aptus 65 back. Never had any problem with this combination though I haven't used it for very long time as I've sold the back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Graham, I don't have the option of the Alpa release as I am on Arca. I guess I will just have to get used the the double click, but I suppose It's no different from the old MUP workflow

The other issue I had with the KG cable is that it is just so damn rigid, and the short bit goes into the lens, particularly some of the tiny Schneiders is sometimes a PIA to get out, especially in the cold when your fingers are frozen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post

Graham, I don't have the option of the Alpa release as I am on Arca. I guess I will just have to get used the the double click, but I suppose It's no different from the old MUP workflow

The other issue I had with the KG cable is that it is just so damn rigid, and the short bit goes into the lens, particularly some of the tiny Schneiders is sometimes a PIA to get out, especially in the cold when your fingers are frozen.
    Hi
    It you find it is a PITA to connect the cable to the shutter release, - I use these
    Gepe Cable Release Extension for Recessed Lensboards 603007 B&H

I have seen rigid ones made by Gepe, but have not first hand experiences.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm on arca too and would like to have a good solution to this as well.
    why do you think it isn't possible to attach the alpa release? you can screw in non "arca modified" releases as well.

i'm concerned about the price tag - man, 700€ for the release plus cable

once the mirror was up, you could use both hands again.
    but today i have to press one release with my left hand and the other with my right hand while the third hand has to held the lcc plexi ...
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    I have seen rigid ones made by Gepe, but have not first hand experiences.

Thanks

Phil
    Thanks Phil. This will help, but may also make the whole thing even more clumsy. When using the 32HR, I'm always pushing cables out of the way....and the stiffness of this particular portion of the cable makes it cumbersome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been using the capture group cable for some time now and had occasional errors with the back syncing properly.

On a recent trip, especially on longer exposures, 1/4s or less, it became quite frequent. Particularly when doing LCC's when I had to leave the shutter open longer. On T and B it was even worse.
    I had the cable failed in two occasions. The short cable release cable is held on to the black switch box by two small set screws, and it got loose. My solution was simply 'super glue' to the box instead of relying on set screws. Only part which may cause the problem is a small 'micro switch' so slightly loose cable release could be the culprit.

It could save you $$$ if the super glue solution works.

Jae M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Granted the Alpa release isn't cheap. However, neither is the KG and NOTHING is cheap if it doesn't work!

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HI Guys,
    do you have tested the Phase One Wake up cable? Is it OK?
    Could you use the alpa release Cable with cambo or Acra too?
    mueller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The wakeup cables work with any technical camera that has a copal shutter so yes it will work with Cambo and Arca et al.

Regarding the Phase One wakeup cable, it has a little button on it that needs to be pressed before releasing the cable release. It will also work with any of the technical cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

phase cable works well. You jut have to push a little button and you have 5 seconds. Two issues:

1. It is another step, and sometimes, by the time you get your crap together, hold the LCC card on the lens, the damn thing has already timed out.

2. The timer starts right away. So if you are using the onscreen timer for your exposure, you have another mental calculation to do on exactly when you released the shutter.

An update on the KG cable...the usability issues, stiffness etc. are still the same, but I recently had the sync post on my back replaced. The sync post is not used with the KG cable, but for whatever reason, it is far more stable and consistent. I also replaced the trigger end with a Leica cable which is far more pliable.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I absolutely despise that Kapture group cable. I always used zero latency with a straight cable from PC outlet to back and a separate cable release. One trick is just turn back off when your done shooting or just waiting. Never had a heat issue and really doing landscape work never went over 3 batteries in a day. YMMV

I've seen that cable go down at least once with a attendee on ever workshop I have done. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped to help someone out during a shoot to get them going again.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although it is quite expensive, the ALPA cable is a clear improvement on the KG and Phase versions. Also, it allows use of a cable release or a button mounted directly on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even super glue is not cheap if it does not work.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Although it is quite expensive, the ALPA cable is a clear improvement on the KG and Phase versions. Also, it allows use of a cable release or a button mounted directly on the lens.
    Does the Alpa release attach to any lens or only those on Alpa mounts?

Cheers..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To quote the inestimable Graham Welland:

"The wakeup cables work with any technical camera that has a copal shutter so yes it will work with Cambo and Arca et al."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It even works with a PRONTOR PROFESSIONAL shutter . In the same way , than with the COPAL .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Kapture group cable on my 260 and before on my 160. I agree with Guy it's a bit stiff and can be hard to work with. I prefer the workflow and don't mind the bit of extra fiddling.

Mine will miss sync about 1 out of 25 shots, but so did my wake up cable solution, I guess since I didn't move quick enough. The latest Phase One firmware of 5.10.1 seems to have no ill effects on this setup.

I also use the Gepe extensions on the lenses with the short mounts mainly the Schneiders, as the Rodenstocks allow a lot more room to move around and get the cable attached. However the 28mm Rod is still a bit hard and I have an extension for that lens.

I also always carry the backup of the Phase One wake up cable just in case.

In Arkansas in the spring and summer, zero Latency is a real heat build up enough that you will feel it hot to the touch. Working in outdoor temps of 85 to 105 degress with 100% humidity.

Zero Latency to me drains the battery 50% faster and I feel if left on in combination with WiFi and a lot of LCD checking, the battery is done in less than an hour. That is what I have seen with my two backs.

I am using it on the rm3di.

Paul C.