The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV 39 Vs HD-39

4*Paul

My first post, so please be gentle with me!

I have resurrected my old Hass C500/C501 kit, fitted a Phase One P20 back - and it is absolutely brilliant. The square format and superb quality produces excellent A2 prints and the camera is a pleasure to use.
The only limitation for me is the 1.5 lens magnification factor and I am trying to work out whether I can justify :rolleyes: having a CFV 39 for the second body.

Which brings me to the point:
Looking at the price of a used CFV 39 (which doesn’t appear very often here in the UK) they seem to be selling for substantially more than a good HD2 complete - or similar to an HD3 -39 body & back. Either of these will, presumably, give me the quality I am looking for, can be used with my V lenses and will work our cheaper than the CFV 39 on its own. Especially when I sell off my second 500 body etc.

Having never used any Hasselblad H, I would really like to hear some opinions on whether this is a sensible option - particularly from anyone who has had experience of using both the V & H. All views welcomed!

mmbma

I like the 500's asthetics. Other than that, the H line are great cameras, much easier to use and practical than the 500's. Bear in mind though, you'll lose the ability to swhich of the back and put it on a technical camera if you later want to go that route.

There are some H2Ds upgraded to H3ds. They are usually cheaper.

having said all that I still use cfv39 on 503cw

fotografz

I have used most every combination of contemporary V and H cameras possible.

The CFV back has the advantage of needing no sync cable from lens to back, and it seamlessly looks part of the V camera like the V film backs.

The disadvantage is that 500 series Vs are square format based cameras that are awkward to impossible to use in portrait orientation with a rectangular digital sensor. The CFV backs cannot be removed and rotated on the camera to accomplish this, where some other brands of backs have that ability with the correct V mount. However, you have to remove the back and rotate it manually. Backs with an internally rotating sensor are available, but are quite expensive (I've not used one of those).

The H cameras are based on 645 camera design with viewfinders that allow rotation of the camera to either landscape or portrait orientation. This alone makes it a sensible option worth considering. Plus, you can secure AF lenses for it in future should you wish to explore that option. A used HC-80/2.8 can be had for about $800 to $1,000 depending on condition. Plus lenses wider than 40mm are available.

Use of the V leaf shutter lenses on a H is accomplished via use of the CF adapter. This mechanical/electronic adapter requires manual cocking after each shot, and is not the same experience as the smooth, swift crank of the V cameras. With the CF Adapter, CFE lenses are automatically indexed for metering, but C, CF and CFi lenses must be manually selected in the LCD grip menu of the H camera after each lens change.

Personally, I would recommend hunting down a H3D-II/39 over a H2 or H3D. It has a larger LCD review, uses a heat sink method of heat dissipation rather than a moving fan, has a better non-relecting sensor filter, and is the first fully integrated body/lens/back configuration. The last point allows use of all current H lenses should you go that way in future (HCD-24 or 28mm, 35-90), provides certain firmware advantages like mirror delay for hand-held work with less vibrations. While the H3D-II loses the ability to use H film backs, that is of little concern if you have a V camera.

The disadvantage of any HD back is that it cannot be used independently on a tech camera because it is powered by the grip battery of the H camera. So it either has to be tethered to a laptop, or requires use of the Hasselblad Image Bank-II. The exception to this is the H4D/60 and H5 which will take the same new clip on battery.

I've seen H3D-II/39s for the same price or less than a CFV-39 back. I think that is just a function of rarity. There are more H3D-IIs made, and for sale, than CFV39s backs.

Hope this helps a little,

-Marc

4*Paul

Thanks mmbma & Marc for your answers.

I feel better educated now and will now probably go down the H3D-II/39 route when I can gather my resources and find the right one to buy. I need to try one out properly first but I suspect that, despite the charms of the V, it will be an easier camera to use for those quick shots when the light is rapidly changing.

However, I definitely won't be discarding my V + P20. It will be used on those more leisurely occasions when I can take my time. And I will still be on the lookout for a CFV-39 - just in case!

Oliver, thanks for your offer but I will save up and hold out for an H3D II - I think that it is the more sensible route in the long run.

Paul