Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad CFV 39 Vs HD-39

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad CFV 39 Vs HD-39

My first post, so please be gentle with me!

I have resurrected my old Hass C500/C501 kit, fitted a Phase One P20 back - and it is absolutely brilliant. The square format and superb quality produces excellent A2 prints and the camera is a pleasure to use.
    The only limitation for me is the 1.5 lens magnification factor and I am trying to work out whether I can justify having a CFV 39 for the second body.

Which brings me to the point:
    Looking at the price of a used CFV 39 (which doesn’t appear very often here in the UK) they seem to be selling for substantially more than a good HD2 complete - or similar to an HD3 -39 body & back. Either of these will, presumably, give me the quality I am looking for, can be used with my V lenses and will work our cheaper than the CFV 39 on its own. Especially when I sell off my second 500 body etc.

Having never used any Hasselblad H, I would really like to hear some opinions on whether this is a sensible option - particularly from anyone who has had experience of using both the V & H. All views welcomed!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad CFV 39 Vs HD-39

I like the 500's asthetics. Other than that, the H line are great cameras, much easier to use and practical than the 500's. Bear in mind though, you'll lose the ability to swhich of the back and put it on a technical camera if you later want to go that route.

There are some H2Ds upgraded to H3ds. They are usually cheaper.

having said all that I still use cfv39 on 503cw

Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested, I have my combo up or sale and can ship within the EU:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...-cfh-39-a.html

Best,

Oliver

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have used most every combination of contemporary V and H cameras possible.

The CFV back has the advantage of needing no sync cable from lens to back, and it seamlessly looks part of the V camera like the V film backs.

The disadvantage is that 500 series Vs are square format based cameras that are awkward to impossible to use in portrait orientation with a rectangular digital sensor. The CFV backs cannot be removed and rotated on the camera to accomplish this, where some other brands of backs have that ability with the correct V mount. However, you have to remove the back and rotate it manually. Backs with an internally rotating sensor are available, but are quite expensive (I've not used one of those).

The H cameras are based on 645 camera design with viewfinders that allow rotation of the camera to either landscape or portrait orientation. This alone makes it a sensible option worth considering. Plus, you can secure AF lenses for it in future should you wish to explore that option. A used HC-80/2.8 can be had for about $800 to $1,000 depending on condition. Plus lenses wider than 40mm are available.

Use of the V leaf shutter lenses on a H is accomplished via use of the CF adapter. This mechanical/electronic adapter requires manual cocking after each shot, and is not the same experience as the smooth, swift crank of the V cameras. With the CF Adapter, CFE lenses are automatically indexed for metering, but C, CF and CFi lenses must be manually selected in the LCD grip menu of the H camera after each lens change.

Personally, I would recommend hunting down a H3D-II/39 over a H2 or H3D. It has a larger LCD review, uses a heat sink method of heat dissipation rather than a moving fan, has a better non-relecting sensor filter, and is the first fully integrated body/lens/back configuration. The last point allows use of all current H lenses should you go that way in future (HCD-24 or 28mm, 35-90), provides certain firmware advantages like mirror delay for hand-held work with less vibrations. While the H3D-II loses the ability to use H film backs, that is of little concern if you have a V camera.

The disadvantage of any HD back is that it cannot be used independently on a tech camera because it is powered by the grip battery of the H camera. So it either has to be tethered to a laptop, or requires use of the Hasselblad Image Bank-II. The exception to this is the H4D/60 and H5 which will take the same new clip on battery.

I've seen H3D-II/39s for the same price or less than a CFV-39 back. I think that is just a function of rarity. There are more H3D-IIs made, and for sale, than CFV39s backs.

Hope this helps a little,

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mmbma & Marc for your answers.

I feel better educated now and will now probably go down the H3D-II/39 route when I can gather my resources and find the right one to buy. I need to try one out properly first but I suspect that, despite the charms of the V, it will be an easier camera to use for those quick shots when the light is rapidly changing.

However, I definitely won't be discarding my V + P20. It will be used on those more leisurely occasions when I can take my time. And I will still be on the lookout for a CFV-39 - just in case!

Oliver, thanks for your offer but I will save up and hold out for an H3D II - I think that it is the more sensible route in the long run.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul

Personally, I think you are making the correct decision all around.

Greg