The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hartblei/phase 45mm t/s

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've had this on order for a while having read Michael Riechmann's review of the original version. My dealer is expecting them on Monday.

Just wondered if anyone has one already and if so, what do they think? Or has anyone any interesting opinions without yet having tested one?

Best

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim:

I tested the older version -- two of them actually -- and was not impressed. The new version may be totally different -- or at least I hope so. Both of the ones I had were okay if un-shifted, but as soon as you shifted more than about 3mm, the corners started to fall out rapidly. Same with a few degrees of tilt. I for one, will be really interested in hearing your thoughts on the one you get, so please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Quentin_Bargate

I own the original version in Mamiya mount. Its not perfect but not bad. Stopped down mine is quite sharp. I may try and dig out a sample imageand post it here. I paid about $950 for mine.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Here's one shot I took with the ZD and Hartblei combo with more or less maximum shift.

I agree with Jack that you will see some fall off when shifting. Just make sure you stop down. This is a tripod-only lens

The cropped section shows reasonable sharpness in to the shifted area. However I have to wonder if I could have done as well today using an A900 hand-held and perspective correcting in Silkypix or Photoshop.

Last edited:

etrigan63

I am getting one of these in Nikon mount (original version). I am hoping since the image circle is geared for MF would avoid the falloff issues while using it on DX (and maybe FX) sensors.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the advice chaps - I heard from a variety of places that the new version will be superior to the old in every way though I do wonder how they can do the 'Iron imperfections out in C1' trick when there are an infinite variety of T/S combinations and I am assuming that the camera does not report the parameters back to the lens.

Quentin, your example shot didn't upload. Any chance of a repost? Pretty Please :)

Tim

irakly

i have an original one. i wanted to use it for interiors, but barrel distortion is too high for that. other than that, it is a very impressive lens, especially for its price. i have not tried it on a p25 back, though.

smhoer

For those who have tested the older version How did it perform stopped down (~f11)? I am very interested in tilt capabilities at this focal length.

I am hoping the new lens actually has a new glass formula to justify the price jump as coatings will not improve resolution.

tashley

Subscriber Member
For those who have tested the older version How did it perform stopped down (~f11)? I am very interested in tilt capabilities at this focal length.

I am hoping the new lens actually has a new glass formula to justify the price jump as coatings will not improve resolution.
Just to really wind everyone up, my Phase TS is being delivered to me at my local pub by Phase's UK Regional Sales Manager this evening...(yes, they really do understand customer service!) but I won't be able to post impressions because I'm leaving for Barbados tomorrow first thing and not taking the Phase setup with me. It's time to take the M8.2 for a spin with a GRDII for snaps...

But when I get back, I'm off to Iceland for a week to take shots with the Phase gear so I'll report in more detail in the New Year...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've got it. It feels very solid though a little smaller than I was expecting (in a good way) and it also feels very engineered and precise. Very Leica like.

I took a couple of handheld shots at ISO 400 and 800 in the (darkly lit) pub and can only say that

a) I'm damned good at handholding
b) a) is only true because the lens feels well balanced on the body.

Brief exploratory later at home before early night showed me nothing worth reporting in terms of IQ (it's dark here!) so I'll get back to you when I return from vacation but as a teaser, it has interesting bokeh.

best

t