The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One MF body?

fotografz

I think they are to be applauded for continuously improving their product. We are getting down to 3 basic, still available choices here folks (not counting Leica quite yet), and they ALL have to be top notch to survive.

I had a AFD-II, and I'd love to see some significant improvements over that camera ... I know the AFD-III did some of that job ... but to play against the Hasselblad and Hy6 with their respective approaches there needs to be more.

Number one issue IMO was the camera power source. Lithium in the grip. Ideally, it'd be great if Mamiya and Phase could collaborate to centralize the power ... turn on the camera and it's all on, (heck, I'm out of the loop, so maybe they already did that.)

I'm mixed on the WLF issue. Even with a 645 in landscape orientation it's nice to get down on the ground for some shots. But I admit I'm not much of a WLF kind of a shooter, and use mine infrequently.

However, WLF or not, a removable viewfinder is a key aspect IMO, and one of the things I disliked most about the M645. Quick access to the screen ... plus another big advantage to a working Pro is the ability to break down the camera for transport and travel. I was able to use a small Lowpro bag to carry my Contax 645 that I couldn't even fit a Canon 1 Series DSLR into. I now do the same with the H camera. Modular is much easier to pack.

Even faster AF, and spread the sensors out more so it actually means something other than mostly being a marketing ploy.

Mammy645

Didn't PhaseOne say something like the AFDIII would just be an intermediate body used while they are working on a completely new camera designed from scratch? I think they could be cooking up something that will take us all by surprise. I'm pretty sure they are aware of the fact that they need to dazzle with the next one to stay competitive. I love my AFD and I think it's a very dependable and solid camera, but I'm also impressed with certain features of for example the Hy6, and that T/S adapter from Hassy is a cool idea. So there is room for improvement for sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.