The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focusing the DF+

alajuela

Hi

Has anybody noticed or have an opinion on the improved focusing ability of the new DF+.

I remember Jack recommended the speed setting and a triple or double tap on the DF.

Thanks

Phil

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried the DF+ on a limited basis.
first, the adjustment for each back is good but limited in the sense that it does not provide adjustments on a per lens basis unless you do one lens/ back combination per custom settings set.
Other than that, it MAY have focused a bit better than the DF but not dramatically so.
-bob

alajuela

first, the adjustment for each back is good but limited in the sense that it does not provide adjustments on a per lens basis unless you do one lens/ back combination per custom settings set.
Other than that, it MAY have focused a bit better than the DF but not dramatically so.
-bob
Thanks Bob,

I have not messed with back adjustment. I was out shooting yesterday and think I missed more shots than usual. I was on a monopod. On the DF, do you use the center focus point (spot focus) or all three, (Center , right, left).
I do think the camera is slightly better than my DF, which I traded in.
Thanks
Phil

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I only use the center focus point since the uncertainty of the rest just drove me MAD!
-bob

steve_cor

I have 2 issues with my 645DF+, but they are not with the autofocus.

I don't have any complaints about the autofocus. I think Jack said he doesn't need the second and third tap anymore with accuracy mode.

One issue is, I have to setup the custom fuctions I want every time I use the camera. When the camera is off for a while, it forgets them.

The other thing I've found is, the autofocus assist beam can actually come on during an exposure. Then the red beam on the subject would ruin the picture, like this example:

--Steve.

alajuela

I have 2 issues with my 645DF+, but they are not with the autofocus.

I don't have any complaints about the autofocus. I think Jack said he doesn't need the second and third tap anymore with accuracy mode.

One issue is, I have to setup the custom fuctions I want every time I use the camera. When the camera is off for a while, it forgets them.

The other thing I've found is, the autofocus assist beam can actually come on during an exposure. Then the red beam on the subject would ruin the picture, like this example:

--Steve.
Thanks Steve, So far I have not experienced the issue of the auto focus beam, - that is a real problem!! Lucky it is still under warranty. Do you know if Jack changed to accuracy on the DF+?
Thanks
Phil

alajuela

-bob
Hi Bob, do you the use speed or accuracy setting on the DF+
I agree not dramatic improvements, but I find the buttons (Timer) are more responsive. And seems slightly "tighter" like the AFL and AEL buttons also.

Thanks

Phil

steve_cor

Well, Jack doesn't have one, he just used one at a workshop. He said with the accuracy mode, "there was never a need for the third tap and rarely a need for even the second tap."

I think it depends on the lens, and the subject. With the 150mm f/2.8, even in accuracy mode, the camera may adjust the focus on the second and third tap. You have to decide for yourself which mode works best. I prefer the accuracy mode, and only use the center focus point.

--Steve.

alajuela

Well, Jack doesn't have one, he just used one at a workshop. He said with the accuracy mode, "there was never a need for the third tap and rarely a need for even the second tap."

I think it depends on the lens, and the subject. With the 150mm f/2.8, even in accuracy mode, the camera may adjust the focus on the second and third tap. You have to decide for yourself which mode works best. I prefer the accuracy mode, and only use the center focus point.

--Steve.
Thank you Steve, I think I will switch over to the accuracy mode. I have been shooting with a monopod, when not using a tripod. Found that helps with shutter speed. On Sensor plus and iso 400 handheld is usable for me as I can get shutter speed up to at least 250 at f8.
Thanks again
Phil

Dan Santoso

I had very bad experience with DF+

1st : very slow focus, will not lock even outdoor.
2nd : Defective viewfinder out of the box
3rd : Demo unit so I can play around, much better than first body.
4th : finally open my 3rd unit out of the box, focus beat all 3 previous copy. faster. So I bought it.

I just found out last week that my body produces softer images than the demo unit 645 DF my dealer uses. It is very obvious in side by side comparison. Micro adjust will not fix it because it does nothing at all.

I am sending it for service.

So after 4 experiences with DF+ body, my conclusion is that phase one has very bad QC problem!!