The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Corrupted files

AndyPtak

Anybody know what causes this type of digital corruption? It's now happened to me on two different cameras and sensors and i've managed to rule out the CF card and card reader. Obviously there's something in my workflow causing this, but I have no idea what.

This example is from my P25 back, when this has happened on my DSLR the stripes are horizontal. Go figure

This is my first time uploading a file so i hope it worked!

AndyPtak

Thanks Bill. I doubt if it's the processing application because I copy my cards first and then import into LR (usually) from the hard drive. Both the original RAW file and the DNG created at import have this corruption.

It doesn't happen on all the files and can range from just a few to almost half of the import. At first I thought it was a bad card so I bought more and it still happened. Then I blamed the card reader so I bought another one and the same thing happened. I then blamed the Express Card so I imported directly over USB - same story.

Not that I'm a technician but I'm assuming some kind of electronic interference. I had been thinking it was the sensor in my DSLR, but now my P25 is doing it too! Could it be my laptop? Don't see how, but I'm stumped.

weinlamm

Sometimes such things came from the CF-card. Was it in both situations the same CF-Card ( now and on your DSLR )?

weinlamm

Damn. The flashcard was a thing what happend to me - and it looked like your problem.

Perhaps a second try: checked the cardreader? I didn't believe, that the problem should be your laptop. Stripes are mostly a sign for a fail at writing.

JonMo

Hi Andy,
last time I had this issue it was not the card reader but the usb cable.

Switched cables on the same reader and problem was gone.

Worth a shot if not tried yet.

AndyPtak

Thanks guys. I already blamed the card reader, threw it away and bought another. Damn if it still didn't happen.

I'm now thinking along the lines of my portable hard drive or USB cable (thanks Jon). I'm not sure if I'm still using the ones I had when this first started, but there's little else left to blame

BradleyGibson

Very strange, given the likely suspects you've ruled out.

Try your workflow on a different computer. Perhaps memory is the culprit.

coulombic

What kind of CF card are you using? I had similar issues with a Leaf Aptus-II 12 prior to switching entirely to San Disk Extreme Pros.