The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyway to cancel a long exposure and dark shot on IQ180?

gerald.d

Hi all -

Looks like we might be getting a thunderstorm overnight here in Dubai. They're very rare here, so I want to make the most of it.

I've shot lightning before with Canon so know what I'm doing, but I'm a bit worried about missing opportunities due to the dark shot that the IQ will insist on.

Is there anyway to cancel a long exposure shot on the back? If I leave the shutter open for 30 seconds and don't capture a strike, I want to be able to discard the shot without having to wait for another 30 seconds, during which I might miss a strike. Make sense?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit - should have said, camera/lens will be either Max and a Rodie, or FPS and Rodie or Canon TSE, so it's just the back I need to over-ride.

Shashin

What if you pulled the battery out? Not sure what that could screw up, but it is an idea (it is not my back, after all).

gerald.d

What if you pulled the battery out? Not sure what that could screw up, but it is an idea (it is not my back, after all).
I'd thought about that, but the problem is that the boot-up time would also mean the possibility of missing a shot, so probably not a viable option.

Shashin

An IQ doesn't do multiple exposures, does it? With my Pentax 645D, I can do a series of multiple 20-30 sec exposures so the dark frame is not made so as to do exposures of a couple of minutes. Perhaps you could do a series of 5-10 sec exposures. Just an idea.

gerald.d

An IQ doesn't do multiple exposures, does it? With my Pentax 645D, I can do a series of multiple 20-30 sec exposures so the dark frame is not made so as to do exposures of a couple of minutes. Perhaps you could do a series of 5-10 sec exposures. Just an idea.
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to prevent it from shooting a dark frame. One of the common complaints about the back. The dark frame kicks in at anything over (I think) 2 seconds, so it's a right pain when planning this sort of shoot.

Shashin

I guess you will need two backs where each one is exposing while the other is making the dark frame. You should look for a cheaper hobby, like collecting Italian sports cars... ;)

gerald.d

I guess you will need two backs where each one is exposing while the other is making the dark frame. You should look for a cheaper hobby, like collecting Italian sports cars... ;)
Hehehe.

I'll be taking a 4x5 pinhole camera with direct-positive ISO3 paper as a back-up, so will just leave that exposing the whole time :)

Zerimar

There is no workaround to this other than removing the battery. I have had a similar experience with my P45+ where it's much easier to disconnect the battery and have the back powered back on within a few seconds.

Stefan Steib

I don´t think I´m talking too much shop here when I say there is a way to cancel the dark shot. Buy the Develloper SDK for XXXXX $ and modify the setting.
Phase (and Leaf) sell this to industry customers who need the functionality.

I still think it´s a shame that at this price level it´s not simply included in the standard software. Even as a paid feature with a code for each back it would be ok but the SDK and the amount of own needed modifications makes this out of reach for "normal" (sorry Gerald for calling you normal! :) users.

regards
Stefan