The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Digital in need of a little help..

andrewlo

Hi this is my first post, which i posted before, however i have just noticed it hasnt shown in the forums for some reason. I look forward to being a active member of this community.

I am wondering if you could help me a little please....

I am looking at entering the MF Digital world. I currently shot with a 5DMkII (in occasion) but mainly shoot the 6x17 Tranny Film format.

I have stumbled across a Mamiya 645 DF with a Aptus II 6 (28mp) back for what looks like a pretty decent price.

My concerns are crop factor of 1.3 (i believe) and what i have had read is that it cant really do much over ISO 200.

I shoot mainly landscape images and am wondering if this combination will suit.
With slide film i get approx 4-5 Stops (which i dont mind, its a charesteristic of slide), never using a MF Digital setup i am wondering if it will be a steep learing curve and if the claims of 12 stops of dynamic range is actually true.

If the 5dmkii produces raw files that are approx 20mb and it is a 14bit system with a 5-6 stop DR, i would have thought a 16bit 12 stop sysrtem would yield files at least 80-100mb, however it seems it produces files in the range of 40mb (for this back anyway).

THanks in advance for your advice and assitance.

Cheers

Andrew

Shashin

What is the problem with a 1.3 crop factor? Or to put it a different way, what is wrong with a 44mm x 33mm sensor?

andrewlo

No real concern, just was unsure of its suitability for landscpae work and how it could affect image quality.

Shashin

I have a camera with a 44x33mm sensor and have no problem with landscapes--a 35mm lens gives an approximate equivalent of 28mm. The thing I would check is if you have a certain favorite field of view and whether you can find the corresponding focal length for the DF.

andrewlo

In regards to the back Leaf Aptus II (28mp) am i going to notice worthwhile benefits over the 5d2 in tonal graduations and extended DR compared to when i shoot slide?

fotografz

What camera and lens(s) are you using to shoot the 6 X 17 transparencies? How important is it to approximate what you get from the film? What do you do with the 6 X 17 transparencies? ... if you make prints, what size?

Keep in mind that most claims as to Image Quality, DR and so on, are usually based on the base ISO, and deteriorate as the ISO increases ... at a rate that varies from digital back, to digital back.

The learning curve for shooting isn't terribly steep once you become familiar with the operation of the camera/back (especially if you are used to the discipline for shooting slide film). However, the learning curve for getting the most out of the files in post processing can be steep, and never ends as the software continues to improve with each issue ... be it Lightroom, Leaf Capture, or Capture One.

Post processing of digital files also affords the photographer the option of stitching multiple shots for the panoramic 6 X 17 you are used to doing with the film camera. There are now very sophisticated and powerful software programs that make this easier and faster than ever before. While this can be done with any format be it your Canon, or the DF/Aptus, I've found MFD files both easier to work with and to produce spectacular results. In this case, a crop frame MFD sensor can often be an advantage over FF 35mm and larger MFD sensors because it is utilizing the sweet spot of the lens coverage (depending on the lens used).

Best of luck.

-Marc

andrewlo

Thanks for taking the time to reply Marc.

Im using Schneider lenses and its a Fotoman 617. Dynamic range is important, thought it really isnt their with trannys (which is fine). Its more the graduation of tones (and DR would be great as well). When i take a shot on my 5D2 for instance, and i am pushing the highlights, it doesnt gradually get their, it bangs it hard against the limit and it is what i would call hard, abrasive clipping which is ugly. With a transperancies as im sure you would know, it gradual gets to clipping point and smoothly. This is just a example im using for clipping, same is with RGB color channels on the 5d2 etc etc.

With my 5d2, i rarely take any shots longer then 15-20seconds.

I do print images, though im not really concerned with the maximum print size. Generally i will print 30-40 inches wide and on rare occasion up to 70inches. If i wanted to do this with a lower resoloution back, fair enough, i cant unless i stitch it.

I am having a very hard time trying to find out if the MFD system (at this end of the spectrum , leaf aptus II 28mp back) will fulfill most of my needs (doesnt have to be all of them). Unfortunateluy being where i am and this being entry level MFD i really cant try before i buy.

fotografz

Well, for sure you will get better tonal gradations with the MFD back compared to the 5D-II ... that is one of the reasons to use a MFD back IMO.

21 meg stuffed into a 35mm format isn't the same as a larger 28 meg sensor. Plus the % of increase to reach a specific print size is less with the larger sensor of a MFD back.

If I recall correctly, the back you are considering was one used by Shelby Lewis on a Mamiya RZ, and his stuff was beautiful. You may want to contact him since he had direct experience with the Aptus 28. Look under the member's list here and try to send a PM.

-Marc