Site Sponsors

Thread: New Shooting Experience

Post Thanks / Like

New Shooting Experience

Finally had a weekend off work and got a chance to get some initial shots with the FPS. It was a completely different shooting experience than any other system I've ever used. Really something you can not explain. It was more of a feeling. Every shot taken handheld, by "feeling" the focus and being in the moment.

I am learning a whole new way to shoot candid photos. No composing, no thinking, Just shooting.

Alpa FPS
    50HR Alpagon wide open
    FPS tilt adapter

The soon to be Mommy and our dog Mado.

A closeup of the focal plane. This is surely a focal plane I could have never thought of using before. I never even thought it possible to get the eyes in focus, mouth & whiskers, but not his snout...

Some photos of the girls my very soon to be wife used to look after.

And something different - Only edits were highlights brought down 2 notches in Capture one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Shooting Experience

The latter images have significant data corruption. From my experience, this is directly related to CF cards -- San Disk Extreme Pros are pretty much necessary on any Leaf back (not sure what back you're running).
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eric, I had the purple bands shooting an Aptus II 80 on DF in pretty cold weather. Turned out to be some obscure syncing issue.

Good luck with the new arrival, exciting times ahead..Jag

Post Thanks / Like

I like the last two

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortpballer View Post
    I like the last two
    +1

They are the best ones!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing is for sure, nothing wrong with that dog. Shiba, great breed.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering - How did you focus, tilt and frame the shots shooting handheld? If you have some extra mutant hands, we would like to know!

Post Thanks / Like

With the FPS it all seems just natural. I made the tilt about 2 degrees, kept my focus from 1.5-3 meters (knowing that I can easily focus between these distances, and knowing where the focal plane will move) then just shoot. Every shot, if I moved a little closer or wanted to have a focal plane slightly lower/higher, I would adjust my focus "by feeling" and then shoot. Obviously there are some shots that were missed. But the availability to shoot a technical camera with an electronic shutter provides a whole new shooting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Just wondering - How did you focus, tilt and frame the shots shooting handheld? If you have some extra mutant hands, we would like to know!

Post Thanks / Like

I can reassure everyone that this is not a syncing issue. A syncing issue would lack information, rather this is putting information on top of information that was previously there.

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Eric, I had the purple bands shooting an Aptus II 80 on DF in pretty cold weather. Turned out to be some obscure syncing issue.

Good luck with the new arrival, exciting times ahead..Jag

Post Thanks / Like

I can reassure everyone that this is not a syncing issue. A syncing issue would lack information, rather this is putting information on top of information that was previously there.
    You're right! At first I thought that the centre shutter blades on your FPS were sticking a bit but now it looks like a problem with the card

Post Thanks / Like

this is not a problem with the card... This is not a problem at all... its art

Post Thanks / Like

this is not a problem with the card... This is not a problem at all... its art
    Sorry -- foot in mouth yet again. I do enjoy all of your postings and your obvious skill!

Post Thanks / Like

David,

It is mostly my fault as I wasn't very clear on how the last two photos were created. But I can assure everyone that it is not a CF card issue nor a syncing issue as I can replicate the look and control the look (slightly).

Quote Originally Posted by David Duffin View Post
    Sorry -- foot in mouth yet again. I do enjoy all of your postings and your obvious skill!