The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Supercharged RZ67 Pro IID for ultimate focusing precision

itsskin

Hi guys!
You thought Markcus Klinko has the best custom RZ setup? Not any more Cheesy

Shooting on location wide open with 110/2.8 and digital back can be a real challenge due to shallow DOF. I tried loupes over the focusing screens, like Markcus one, magnifiers on the prism finder, stock finders - nothing worked. Too many out of focus shots. So, I had to come up with something and that's the result.

Last pic is made with the 10'' tablet, but on the phone it looks almost the same. Just to give you the idea about precision and magnification you get.

True 10x live view focusing with external monitor. Works great on stock focusing screen. Rugged as tank. Looks like russian nuclear head targeting device and even pays for your beer @ local bar.

robertwright

Looks like the robotic Canadarm on the ISS...

Hi guys!
You thought Markcus Klinko has the best custom RZ setup? Not any more Cheesy

Shooting on location wide open with 110/2.8 and digital back can be a real challenge due to shallow DOF. I tried loupes over the focusing screens, like Markcus one, magnifiers on the prism finder, stock finders - nothing worked. Too many out of focus shots. So, I had to come up with something and that's the result.

Last pic is made with the 10'' tablet, but on the phone it looks almost the same. Just to give you the idea about precision and magnification you get.

True 10x live view focusing with external monitor. Works great on stock focusing screen. Rugged as tank. Looks like russian nuclear head targeting device and even pays for your beer @ local bar.

itsskin

Actually, it's great to shoot with. Very stable setup and knowing that you are going to nail the focus is a great pleasure :D

Suppose it's better to implement with m4/3 cameras (or similar mirrorless) regarding the weight and articulating screen. I just do not own one.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ha ha... I had to laugh when I saw it, but the I thought... I wonder how a smaller m4/3 camera would fit on top of my GX680... ummm... how did you fit the DSLR lens to the viewfinder of the RZ67?

pyrojim

This is a KILLER idea. I wonder if its possible to do with an even smaller camera....

like a point and shoot?

I suppose the entire thing is moot if you can implement live view....

MaxKißler

Well, I'm not sure how sirious you are. However I think it's a great way to emphasize how overdue a dedicated digital only finder for the Pro IID is. Sadly Mamiya will never develop one...

torger

Really cool setup!

I've actually done the same for ground glass on my Linhof Techno, using a 5Dmk2 with a 1:1 macro lens, but only a temporary setup to check if there was any focus shift in the sliding back (there was not). One certainly see better than a typical loupe, but the setup must be really rigid as the DoF of the macro lens is really short.

itsskin

Thx!
I was not expecting this, but with manfrotto magic arm this setup is rock-solid. Not even 0.5mm wobble.

Very clever, in another thread I proposed an LV sensor in place of the AF sensor, but this could be even better on cameras with removable finders: Have a finder accessory that's actually just a sensor dedicated to liveview.

R

Ryuuzaki

A camera on top of a camera! That is ridiculous. I really think Klinko's viewfinder's design works pretty well. I have a 15x magnifier and have no problems focusing wide open with the 2.8 lens outdoors. Due to the magnification a small area of the screen is impossible to see the whole screen magnified, so a moving magnifier is necessary as well as being able to clear the whole screen to see the entire image. It is completely possible as proves the quality of the work he achieves, and the ease of which I had been able to work with with a setup much like his.