The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GX680 for portraits question?

pophoto

Hi Guys,

This might come off as a very silly question, but what is it that I see that makes the Fuji GX680/III so great with portraits, that I don't often see in other medium format cameras?

Is it the bellows that allow for tilt/shift, is it the tilt that isolates the face to contrast it into focus?

It really gives it that classic look and feel, together with the medium format look it naturally inherits, but isn't this look achieved more often in digital backs?

Thanks
Po

MaxKißler

Hello Po,

maybe you could guide me to some samples so it would be easier to understand which look you are referring to.

I suppose you don't mean the images of that guy in the other forum who is constantly propagating the look of his Fuji GX680 and large format gear? Though he seems to shoot stopped down a lot, giving me a hard time understanding which difference in look he permanently refers to...

BTW, isn't it funny that people always seem to recommend gear they prefer using themselves? So don't get me started about that lovely RZ67....

pophoto

I have the RZ 67 Pro II you speak of! However, let me find some time later to add to this thread, but postings from FredBGG shows the look, or look up Marcin Wuu on google!

I do find the specific look to have the tilt added to blur regions add to this. Obviously good lighting also helps!

Shashin

What you are seeing is the lighting, not the camera. You get the lighting, and the RZ can do that too.

MaxKißler

What you are seeing is the lighting, not the camera. You get the lighting, and the RZ can do that too.
Shashin is right.

I guess it is the lighting you are interested in and not the camera. Keep in mind that there is little difference between 6x7 and 6x8 apart from the aspect ratio. That tiny difference gets even smaller when you shoot with large depth of field.

I suggest you experiment a bit with direkt, harsh light and you should get a very similiar look.

Last edited:

goesbang

I use both my Fuji GX 680II and my Phase One DF to shoot people. I would ONLY contemplate using the Fuji if I specifically wanted to use tilt for focus control (there are lots of examples in the 'people' section of my website). Outside of this one significant advantage, this camera is a PITA to shoot people due to the sheer cumbersome nature of this camera. Don't get me wrong, the GX680 is a favourite of mine, but when I have another better handling camera to fit my IQ180 on when shooting people, why wouldn't I? I would wager that in a blind test, not even the High-Priest of Fuji GX680 Greatness (we all know of whom I speak) could pick the difference between a file from a DF with a Schneider 150 and a GX680 with a Fujinon 150.

Well, it depends on what exactly you are asking.

If you compare the GX680 with an RZ using a film back, the one major difference is the tilt-shift capability of the GX680. This comes in handy in some situations, if you want to change the focus plane, or if you are shooting slightly up for a portrait. If you are not using the tilt-shift of the GX680, the difference between the two cameras in terms of look come down to the different lenses, I would think. This is a bit like comparing Zeiss and Nikon or Canon lenses. Using them is more cumbersome (or one might say, requries a more deliberate approach) than using a DSLR, but usability is very much a matter of personal preference. Some people think the GX680 is more cumbersome than an RZ, others think it is the reverse.

Comparing the look of an MF film camera with digital MF is a different matter. The negative of the RZ or the GX680 is significantly larger than the digital sensor. There is also the difference between film and digital capture. Can one see the difference? Well, I would argue the difference is greater than between digital MF and "normal" digital FF.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been experimenting with the GX680 for some time now, and it does have some special abilities, mostly due to the tilt/shift. I have to add also that the 180mm f/3.2 allows for some extreme results, mostly due to the very shallow DOF in combination with tilt. Very nice lens for portraits. It's a lovely camera, although "somewhat" bulky. The RZ67 is more convenient in most respects, but again: it's the tilt/shift.

The areas where this camera really shine are product and food photography. So much so that I'm toying with the thought of getting a digital back for mine, but as far as I know, only the Sinar backs work without extra boxes and stuff, and Sinar backs means tethered shooting. Not so convenient for trekking and bicycle trips... :ROTFL:

fotografz

So, hunt down a Mamiya T/S Adapter for the RZ, and a 180/4.5 SB (Short Barrel) lens to maintain infinity focus for portraits. Also works great with any RZ lens if infinity isn't needed. T/S is about $600 to $850 used ... sometimes even less.

Mamiya RZ67 Tilt Shift Adapter | eBay

The 180 SB lens is almost free these days ... 180SB plus SB extension tube for normal use without T/S is less than $200 ... even new!

New Mamiya Sekor M 180mm F 4 5 L SB Lens Extension Tube NA703 for RZ67 RZ | eBay

:salute:

-Marc

FSOT

The Fuji GX680 is only $100-200 max. Also it is not cumbersome compare to the RZ and its tilt adapter. I use my Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 and no cable box is needed. For film lover having 6x8 is an advantage over the RZ. This system is the best kept secret for the strength of this camera.

I have to add also that the 180mm f/3.2 allows for some extreme results, mostly due to the very shallow DOF in combination with tilt. Very nice lens for portraits.
+1
The 180mm 3.2 is a very very nice lens.
And like FSOT says, the Fuji system is extremely good value. The main advantage of the RZ, at least the latest version, is the integration with digital backs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So, hunt down a Mamiya T/S Adapter for the RZ, and a 180/4.5 SB (Short Barrel) lens to maintain infinity focus for portraits. Also works great with any RZ lens if infinity isn't needed. T/S is about $600 to $850 used ... sometimes even less.

Mamiya RZ67 Tilt Shift Adapter | eBay

The 180 SB lens is almost free these days ... 180SB plus SB extension tube for normal use without T/S is less than $200 ... even new!

New Mamiya Sekor M 180mm F 4 5 L SB Lens Extension Tube NA703 for RZ67 RZ | eBay

:salute:

-Marc
The tilt/shift adapter for the RZ67 seems to go for rather high prices, like $600 or more, which is more than a GX680 with a suitable lens and a film holder. Also, if tilt/shift is needed, the functionality of the GX680 seems to be far superior to the RZ with adapter. No extension tubes are needed (or indeed available) to do close focusing with the Fuji, but for most lenses, the long bellow is recommended.

With the prices these dinosaurs sell for nowadays, having both is actually an alternative. They do take up a lot of space though. A big wardrobe and no wife helps :chug: