The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 120mm PC-TS Lens question

Smoothjazz

I have been researching this lens for awhile, and have considered it for my Phase system, but there seems to be almost no reports or reviews of this lens anywhere. I have found two basic videos on You Tube.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation regarding this lens as a tilt shift lens for medium format? Thanks for your input.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We have one in rental if you want to evaluate before purchase.

Sharp, clean.

Ergonomics and workflow are much easier with live view than the viewfinder.

Physically large but shockingly light.

cly

I tested it briefly and decided against it: in my experience, if you combine this lens and the DF body with slow shutter speeds you will run into difficulties. It's fine with plenty of light but this lens-body-combination is, IMHO, not a viable solution if you are restricted to available light.

I have been told that Schneider has changed the tripod mount shortly after starting production. I don't know if this is true but the one I tested was an early one. However, I doubt that the vibration issues will be gone.

Chris

Last edited:

Pics2

I tested this lens and I can say that it is extremely sharp. But, it shines at up to f11. Anything smaller doesn't look good. Also, it is not a macro lens. It is Schneider Apo Digitar lens inside.

anGy

In my experience it is better to take the lens tripod mount off.
You get better results when the camera body is attached to the tripod (the lens is big but not heavy at all) and it becomes easier to use the tilt & shift rings of the lens.
This lens also works great with extension rings for macro (but not 1:1) shots.

gazwas

Can you tell me for what purpose this PC-TS lens can be used - 120 mm TS and no macro...?
Table top product photography as a cheaper alternative to a view camera?

Don't quote me on this but it has always been my understanding that a TS lens is pointless the closer to the subject you get (ie Macro) due to image height increasing.

Tilt might get you marginally deeper focus (if at all) when in close but the top and bottom of the image will be OOF. Also this is compounded by the fact most macro lenses are very diffraction limited when focusing close to lifesize and are optimised for apertures of f8 or even larger.

Last edited: