Site Sponsors

Thread: Exit V

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exit V

I guess it had to happen sooner or later, but I still feel sad about it. One of the greatest icons of photography has been discontinued

Hasselblad puts an end to its V line of cameras - British Journal of Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exit V

I was unaware that they were still in production!

Sad to see these lovely old tanks go. It's ironic that I've just re-acquired a repeat of my once-was Hasselblad V system (SWC plus 500C and 80, 150 mm lenses, etc).

Such it is. With luck, it will be working for me for another few decades at least. If I last that long ... ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm wondering if it also means they will never update their V line digital back: the CFV-50 (and stop producing it soon) ? ... anyway you could get ~all Phase One back in a Hasselblad V "fitting", but the CFV-50 was kind of "cheap" (16000$ new) for a 49.1x36.8mm 50Mpx (KAF-50100 Kodak, now Truesense) sensor, and could work without sync cables at all! (forming a very nice retro-futurist camera).

I'm very pleased with it and my 500C/M body & lenses, but worried about servicing!?...

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to hear, but I guess it's either sooner or later...
    Anyway, I love shooting with my Hasselblad...

Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The V is dead, long live the Lunar!

Another piece of photographic history goes. The Hasselblad V design has been around for a very long time. Probably one of the most recognizable designs around. Still, the new Lunar with leave an impression.

Post Thanks / Like

It died being the most handsome camera of them all. Stopping again of thinking on investing on my first digital back. Back to Canon!
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyen View Post
    Sad to hear, but I guess it's either sooner or later...
    Anyway, I love shooting with my Hasselblad...

So that's it then - the whole V line is history. I guess we'll have to let Biogons be Biogons...

Ray
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was really blad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    So that's it then - the whole V line is history. I guess we'll have to let Biogons be Biogons...

Ray
    Now that's a groaner...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, it is a gronnar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    That was really blad.
    I find it a hassel to deal with so many bad puns.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going to have to scrape my pennies together for that CFV-50, eh? B&H has them in stock.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I find it a hassel to deal with so many bad puns.
    You could say it lens itself to the occasion.

(Do I get any Brownie points?)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tumultuous times for camera makers; hard to say who will be the Victor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, it isn't the current Lunartics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apart from the nostalgic sides, there's one thing I don't like about this: The V series was what used to define Hasselblad. By discontinuing it, they cut the last link to their heritage. Obviously, if their management thinks that their future is in the Lunar and similar cameras, that might be the right thing to do, but for those of us who don't believe that, the future might not look as bright as the past.

It's interesting also to notice, that after all kinds of problems in the past, DHW Fototechnik has decided to continue manufacturing the Rolleiflex TLR. I doubt that they do that for nostalgic reasons only. Film versions of Leica M likewise. The problem with the V for the current owners of Hasselblad isn't necessarily that the V classic cameras don't make a profit, but that they don't make enough profit according to their future projections for Hasselblad. Selling Sony cameras disguised with wood and leather for 5 times the Sony price is apparently more along the lines they are thinking
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, the V series camera could be losing money. With film sales continuing to drop and the pressures of the secondhand market, the V series was probably just riding on stock with production halted for sometime. As far as MFD, the H series is a better platform.

I am not sure they are cutting their link to their heritage. The redesigned a99 has a V series look to it. It might even be worse than the Lunar.

Unfortunately, there is a sense that branding can compensate for substance. I think the new owners are going to find out the hard way that products are not good because of the nifty logo.

But regardless of the economic viability, it is a sad loss. This just makes photography a little poorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very sad! Hope they will still offer a service for the next years... Leica repairs everything since the earliest time - hope Hasselblad will do so, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad day - to be expected - but still sad.

I wonder if the decision by Zeiss to stop lens production for the V had any influence on this decision.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone who wants V gear will be able to get it for decades to come as there is so much V gear in the second hand market. This stuff is so well made the camera and lens could last more than a hundred years.

The thing to worry about is getting the camera and lens serviced. The lens shutter needs to be serviced and the camera mechanics lubricated. Some of my lens are many decades old and are still going strong. So with light use service is not required that often.

The people who are factory trained to service the V system are getting old. The person who services my lens is 75 years old. The main problem is going to come when this expertise is lost.

Maybe time for a full shutter overhaul on all my lens. I think then that all my lens will outlast me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

40+ years of having used a Hasselblad V, and I have nothing but fond memories.

Just the experience of holding one, the thrill of winding it and the sense of trust it instilled. Nothing has ever replaced that. It is just an engineering masterpiece.

Reminds me of the old Yogi Berra quip ... "That place is so popular, no one goes there any more." .... the V is so well made nobody buys new ones unless they have money to burn.

There-in lies the problem.

The digital age requires obsolescence ... companies now have to make your current gear seem worthless ... make it seem your camera is a Dodo Bird after 2 or 3 years. That life isn't worth living unless you get the new ZhaZaam MK-V ... and all new lenses because the old ones can't keep up with the MK-V.

Hasselblad seems to have bottled that lighting with the new Lunar ... it'll be totally obsolete before anyone can even buy one

RIP: V for Victor

-Marc
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The digital age requires obsolescence ... companies now have to make your current gear seem worthless ... make it seem your camera is a Dodo Bird after 2 or 3 years. That life isn't worth living unless you get the new ZhaZaam MK-V ... and all new lenses because the old ones can't keep up with the MK-V.
    I am wondering if that is the manufacturers or the photographers? I have a Pentax 645D and the old film lenses keep up with it nicely. Since I already can make beautiful prints on a a 44" printer, what do I get with a new camera? ISO is fine with me. The only people that might care I don't have a new camera are not my audience.

I am sure the manufacturers do not mind that photographers have bought into the upgrade cycle. Actually, I suspect the manufactures would like to go back to the good old days where they could make a model and sell it for ten or more years.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if that is the manufacturers or the photographers? I have a Pentax 645D and the old film lenses keep up with it nicely. Since I already can make beautiful prints on a a 44" printer, what do I get with a new camera? ISO is fine with me. The only people that might care I don't have a new camera are not my audience.

I am sure the manufacturers do not mind that photographers have bought into the upgrade cycle. Actually, I suspect the manufactures would like to go back to the good old days where they could make a model and sell it for ten or more years.
    Some older lenses do very well with digital sensors, others do not. Most lenses for medium format SLRs ought to as the primary issues that make lenses not work well are greatly ameliorated by the deep mount registration they need to clear the mirror and the smaller than original format sensor size.

That said, I think most of the "upgrade or fall behind" stuff is marketing consumerist spin that has become ingrained in photographers today. My 2003 Olympus E-1 and 2006 Panasonic L1 continue to produce superb photographs. Not every photograph needs to be a 24 to 50 Mpixel example of ultimate resolution, or printed big enough to fill my living room wall ...

Perhaps if I eschew saving for the Leica M and MM, that CFV-50 becomes more of a potential reality. Just took my first few snaps with the 500CM, first with a Hassy 500 in about a decade, and I absolutely love the thing. :-)

Godfrey
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc and Godfrey, my thoughts exactly. Sometimes I wonder where the focus is, aimed at the gear or the photographs. Not many recent cameras can claim that they are more suitable as photographers' tools than the Hasselblad.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Anyone who wants V gear will be able to get it for decades to come as there is so much V gear in the second hand market. This stuff is so well made the camera and lens could last more than a hundred years.

The thing to worry about is getting the camera and lens serviced. The lens shutter needs to be serviced and the camera mechanics lubricated. Some of my lens are many decades old and are still going strong. So with light use service is not required that often.

The people who are factory trained to service the V system are getting old. The person who services my lens is 75 years old. The main problem is going to come when this expertise is lost.

Maybe time for a full shutter overhaul on all my lens. I think then that all my lens will outlast me.
    That's me you're describing and I am only 60 years old!
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Marc and Godfrey, my thoughts exactly. Sometimes I wonder where the focus is, aimed at the gear or the photographs. Not many recent cameras can claim that they are more suitable as photographers' tools than the Hasselblad.
    I did find my 501CM had considerable mirror slap and the focusing screen was a little tricky (accu-matte), but it sure was sexy. I have replaced it with an Alpa, which suits my landscape/architecture needs much better.

In my opinion this isn't a reflection on the product no longer being desirable, it's a reflection of the mismanagement going on at Hasselblad. If I had a lot invested in their products announcements like the Lunar would make me nauseous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Now that's a groaner...
    It's not like I've waited years for the appropriate moment to wheel out that Biogons pun...or is it?

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

You could say it lens itself to the occasion.

(Do I get any Brownie points?)
    Well, this management move certainly brings down the (leaf) shutter on the V line.

Their casual discarding of this fine pedigree is such a waist (level). Nothing could be Planar than that.

OK, I'd better (f-)stop now before you all dismiss me as a (winding) crank.

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Well, this management move certainly brings down the (leaf) shutter on the V line.

Their casual discarding of this fine pedigree is such a waist (level). Nothing could be Planar than that.

OK, I'd better (f-)stop now before you all dismiss me as a (winding) crank.

Ray
    I would not want to go off have cocked. That would not be a good reflex and would not primarily mirror the sentiment. I sync there are interchangeable eye deers that we could focus on. I certainly hope this is not an aberration. Hypo-thetically, it can be fixed, even with this development--we just go with the photo-flo. But, Mama-Mamiya, what news. We really need to put it into Contax.

Sorry, I got carried away (you could say I was on a roll)--sometimes things just click...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    That's me you're describing and I am only 60 years old!
    Hopefully you will be able to offer another two decades worth of hasselblad camera and lens service. To keep all our camera wheels whiring and lens shutters clicking.

I am sure I will still be using the V system for decades to come as I enjoy the experience of using the camera so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Hopefully you will be able to offer another two decades worth of hasselblad camera and lens service. To keep all our camera wheels whiring and lens shutters clicking.

I am sure I will still be using the V system for decades to come as I enjoy the experience of using the camera so much.
    That is the plan. Classic V is about 6 months old now and looking good, it's good to keep in touch with all the photographers I have known for years.
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they've actually manufactured any since about 2008 and have simply been selling off existing stock. Has anyone actually seen a body dated newer than that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

has anybody info/clues/guesses about what HB will do with their V system digital back "line" (CFV-50)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edouard View Post
    has anybody info/clues/guesses about what HB will do with their V system digital back "line" (CFV-50)
    I would guess that the CFV/50 will be available for a little while longer since it uses the same sensor as the H5D/50 and 200MS backs.

They discontinued the CVF/39 after the H3D-II/39 was discontinued.

However, who knows ... they have more important matters like getting the wonderful Lunatic camera out the door to a drooling throng hungry for the newest Euro-Trash status symbol.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I would guess that the CFV/50 will be available for a little while longer since it uses the same sensor as the H5D/50 and 200MS backs.

They discontinued the CVF/39 after the H3D-II/39 was discontinued.

However, who knows ... they have more important matters like getting the wonderful Lunatic camera out the door to a drooling throng hungry for the newest Euro-Trash status symbol.

-Marc
    yes, soon we'll have to hide in shame for being Hasselblad users ;-)

and sadly they will probably never develop a new back for the V system...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm just going to have to scrape my pennies together for that CFV-50, eh? B&H has them in stock.

G
    I just bought one from Pro Spirit in Holland. Great deal. Took three weeks to come from Denmark. No plan to discontinue it afaik and from the distributor.
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy - look forward to seeing results

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edouard View Post
    yes, soon we'll have to hide in shame for being Hasselblad users ;-)

and sadly they will probably never develop a new back for the V system...
    Ironic isn't it?

For a hasselblad 500 you can get an 80mp back, a back capable of iso3200, a back that has an internally rotating sensor, a back that is monochromatic, a back with wireless review on an iPad or iPhone, a back with usb3 and FireWire 800, a back with a touch LCD with retina quality.

You just can't get such a back from Hasselblad.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's like seeing a family with 5 kids at a railway station on their way to the beach. But for some reason they board the train to Siberia and leave all their beach gear at the platform, waving happily from the train as it leaves the station

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad V system has had a very long run. I'm sad to see it go out of production, but the cameras will run for many many years yet if you keep them in good shape.

I'll send my SWC off to have the shutter cleaned and calibrated soon. And later do the same with the Sonnar 150/4. The 500CM body seems to be just fine, the late series Planar 80 (Compur) seems to be in perfect condition. I've acquired a bunch of filters, close up lenses, and my other essential accessories. and I have three backs in perfect condition. I'm set for a good, long time, probably longer than I'll be hauling the gear around to shoot.

BTW, my decision to buy a Coolscan 9000 rather than raise three times that price for the digital back is working out splendidly. The CS9000 is such a versatile scanner that it's also breathed new life into all my other film cameras, from Minox up. :-)

G