The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ixpress 96C V mount problem

Ok, I know I'm not playing with the big boys here, but I could use some help anyway.
Just got a very clean Ixpress 16mp V mount back. I tried to mount it on the V mount camera and it won't latch at the top. The sliding catch on the back (that you slide to the right) doesn't move over quite enough to let the two hooks on the camera insert themselves into the back. It sure looks like it should work just like the latch button on a regular Hasselblad film back.
I don't know if there is a second motion, some sort of a detent, that I need to make for the sliding latch on the back to move over to the right completely. Maybe press down or in on the latch button while sliding it? I have seen backs that did have a second movement required, a safety feature to prevent accidental release.
I've tried it on the Hasselblad, a Linhof V mount adapter plate and an Arca Swiss with the same results.
Any help is appreciated.
Robert N.

schuster

Ok, I know I'm not playing with the big boys here... It sure looks like it should work just like the latch button on a regular Hasselblad film back.
I used the 96C to make some very nice 20" sq prints and 42" wide stitched panos that are still garnering oohs and aahhs from pixelpeepers and high-end buyers at the gallery. It produces much bigger and better quality images than what you'd get from an SLR with the same pixel count.

One thing that I recall having to do when attaching the back to any of my V system cameras was to put some downward pressure on the back, when it's about a quarter inch from closed at the top, to fully engage the "hooks" on the body with the slots on the back.

After that, the back should close snugly... but if it doesn't, I think forcing it would be not in your best interest.

Thanks for the information and I 100% agree about not forcing it. I'm just very happy to finally have a medium format back and would like for this to work.
The hooks on the camera back seem to align well with the slot/holes in the digital back. But, the thumb slider button doesn't slide right ways enough for the interior latch to let the camera hooks fully enter the slots - they try to go in but not quite because part of the latch is in their way.
Maybe this has been a problem for someone and thats why the back has only 1800 shots made on it.
I may figure out something...
Thanks,
Robert

W

weldonbrewster

On the left or right side (I can't remember which) of the adapter plate is a small hole with a torx screw in it. Loosen the screw and the latch should work fine. After the back is on slightly tighten the screw so the back won't come off.

I wondered about about that screw. Borrowed a set of small Torx screwdrivers today and will give that a try.
If it works I'll have to send you something nice!
Robert

drum3786

It's most likely the Torx screw. It's there so you can't accidently take the back off by locking the sliding catch.

Hi,
I owe you guys a big hug or a beer or something. The problem with mounting this back was the Torx screw on the side of the V mount adapter, it wasn't letting the latch slide open enough. Once I loosened it just a bit, it fit perfectly!!!!
THANKS !!!
Robert