The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya rz67 180mm, W-N vs. SB + spacer?

Mammy645

I was wondering if there are any reasons to go for the 180mm W-N instead of the SB + spacer? Do you have to make any exposure compensation with the SB + spacer? Is the finder darker? Is the combo heavier than the W-N alone? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

MaxKißler

I made that decision about two months ago and went for the W-N. Optically there is no difference between the W-N and the SB. The W-N however weighs only app. 750g and the SB about 900g. Also, the W-N was a bit cheaper and I like the look of the W-N's barrel more...

Mammy645

Max, it almost sounds like you've confused the two, the SB is shorter so how could it possibly be heavier? Or did you mean the SB + spacer is heavier than the W-N? The Mamiya website says the W-N is 900 grams though.

MaxKißler

I see you're right, the 180mm W-N weighs almost exactly 900g. It feels much lighter though. Probably because I was used to the 250mm W which is optically inferior and much heavier. Nevertheless, I had the impression that the 180 SB with spacer is heavier and got the W-N. BTW, why would you want to use it without the spacer (that is if you're not having the TS adapter of course)?

Mammy645

I see you're right, the 180mm W-N weighs almost exactly 900g. It feels much lighter though. Probably because I was used to the 250mm W which is optically inferior and much heavier. Nevertheless, I had the impression that the 180 SB with spacer is heavier and got the W-N. BTW, why would you want to use it without the spacer (that is if you're not having the TS adapter of course)?
Well, the reasons I'm considering the SB + spacer instead are several, which might be wrong, hence the questions. 1.) Could be easier to pack for travel. 2.) If not using the spacer only affects focus at infinity then you'd essentially have a smaller and lighter lens for many situations where infinity is not needed. 3.) The spacer can be used on other lenses too.

MaxKißler

Regarding:
1) I guess it can be easier to pack for travel though take longer time to set up.
2) What is the use. Are you planning on shooting it hendhelt? I guess it is possible but wouldn't risk loosing a good shot due to camera shake.
3) That is of course very beneficial.

And you still have the option to get a TS adapter of course. If they are priced equally, I'd get the SB version. My W-N however was significiantly cheaper.

EH21

Curious about this too...

Looks like the SB version is actually heavier even without the extension or tilt shift adapter? See the chart here: Photo Notes Main Page

Also I don't think the SB version will focus as close as the W-N without the extension - 27mm...

Mammy645

Curious about this too...

Looks like the SB version is actually heavier even without the extension or tilt shift adapter? See the chart here: Photo Notes Main Page

Also I don't think the SB version will focus as close as the W-N without the extension - 27mm...
It seems every website I have looked at lists a different weight than the other, so I wouldn't put much faith in it. Logically it must be lighter though, at least without the spacer, since it's exactly the same lens just shorter. And I think you are right that using it without the spacer only affects close focus, to get infinity focus all you'd have to do is extend the bellows the same length as the spacer.

Stefan Steib

As it is I just recently have bought a new old stock SB180+spacer from ebay for 180$ including shipment to europe/germany.
The exact weight of the lens is (from the mamiya docs) 808gr., the focusing distance without spacer or TS is 1,859 m , with the spacer the focusing distance is 0,829m, the spacer weighs 276 gr.

I can only advise anyone to buy these lenses they are marvelous, for that money it´s a joke. Even if I wouldn´t use them I would collect them and build me a mobile or just place them in a glass showcase.

And we are still working on our RB/RZ->M645 adapter, we are approaching a final prototype now, then you can bet this will be one of the best investments ever.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Mammy645

Thanks for the info Stefan. That means it's about 100g lighter without the spacer but 170g heavier with it, compared to the W-N. Shooting a portrait, how tight would you say you'd get at 1,8m vs. 0,8m, do you know?

MaxKißler

Thanks for the info Stefan. That means it's about 100g lighter without the spacer but 170g heavier with it, compared to the W-N. Shooting a portrait, how tight would you say you'd get at 1,8m vs. 0,8m, do you know?
Do you refer to shooting film or digital?

Stefan Steib

using an Iq180 the image field on 1,8m is 40x52cm 21,1 degr. Image angle,
on 80 cm this would be 18x24cm.
on a 6x7 frame (55x70mm) the field of view is 70x55cm /27,8 degr. image angle. on 80cm distance this is 24x30cm.

I used Angle of view for this - iPhone App. Highly recommended.

Regards
Stefan

I would more concern to the tilt performance and closest shooting distance when using the TS adapter w 180mm SB lens. Do you have any photos to show it ..? Thx.