Site Sponsors

Thread: H3d ... 39 vs. 31

JackieS

H3d ... 39 vs. 31

can I ask... is the 39 as good at iso400 as the 31mp ? Or as well as the extra stop that you get, its the 31 better with noise overall at higher iso ?

is there any other advantages or disadvantages of the 39mp camera over the 31 ?

i would appreciate any feedback. I was set on a 31mp (the resolution will be enough for me) but have actually been offered a very good deal on a 39 which will actually work out slightly cheaper. BUt then when you look at image sizes it does seem as if the 39 files are that much bigger than the 31 files ? IM slighthly confused.

many thanks

JackieS

Re: H3d ... 39 vs. 31

anyone ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the 39 mpx you can use on a tech camera and the 31 will be much harder because of the micro lenses. Also there is a crop factor involved with the 31 mpx. Now i don't know about noise since i don't own one but I would tend to think like the Phase one with micro lenses the 31 would be better at noise levels.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have only a 22MPback but its the same size as the 39 MP.
    While I liked to have a sensor without microlenses with the option to use it also on a camera with movements - I have to say that so far I have had quite some situations where 1 step better ISO would have been a big plus.
    So - if you do not plan to use a camera with movements, and if the crop is ok for you and 31 MP enough I would probably rather take the 31MP back if I were in your situation.
    However I only have a few weeks of MF experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be aware that Hasselblad has promised a firmware update for the H3DII-39 which will increase the ISO from the current 400 max to 800 max. That will be a definite positive for handheld shooting.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

The H3D-31 will go to 1600. I have seen some side by sides and the 31 is much better for noise at the higher isos. THere is a tradeoff because less able to use with a camera with movements. Marc Williams has both cameras but i did do some comparisons before getting the 31 and there is clearly a noise advantage

JackieS

ok thanks

i dont really need 39mp so looks as if i should go for the extra stop