The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Leica reinvented MFD...or not

D&A

Current prices from B&H:

Pentax FA-D 55mm $1,200
Pentax FA-D 25mm $5,000
Pentax FA-D Macro 90mm $4,500

Leica S 70mm $5,000
Leica S 24mm $9,000
Leica S Macro 120mm $7,000

Dave, I am not sure those prices are really close. It would only cost me $10,700 to get three Pentax lenses, but $21,000 for the Leica. The focal lengths can't be duplicated--Leica has an unusual focal length spread. Only Pentax has a normal focal length lens--Leica has a short tele for the "normal." And the macro focal lengths are different. Naturally, I can get a great 120mm Pentax macro for a lot less--I wonder how the S secondhand markets is.

There is no doubt the S system is expensive. Add the body and you have a Pentax system for $17,700 and an S system for $43,000. I am not really convinced Leica is pricing is close to Pentax.
When I mentioned that quite a few of the newly released lenses were reaching Leica prices...my point was where legacy lenses, even those that could be found close to new, were priced at a fraction of the price of a Leica S lens...sometime 1/10 the amout or even less. Except for the new 55mm, the other two newly released Pentax lenses were priced much higher than a lot of 645D users expected and many were surprised. This is apparently the new norm for upcoming 645 lenses and no longer is do we find newly released Pentax 645 lenses 1/10 or less the price of a Leica lens. It may not be as high as an S lens, but Pentax has made a giant leap. That was simply my point.

With regards to legacy lenses sometimes having quite a sizable sample variation...well you know my previously posted comprehensive lens test with multiple samples of Pentax 645 lenses on the 645D...many had quite extensive differences...which could be readily seen if one examines files at 50% or higher (at the pixel level). Obviously Pentax in the film only era didn't need to adjust each sample as precisely as they do now with lenses being used with digital sensors. It's no different than what Leica went through with many of their film era lenses not focusing properly on the digital M bodies without focus adjustments. In any case the Pentax and Leica systems are excellent for what each one was designed to do and in terms of performing at their relative price levels.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Shashin, there's little credence in highly subjective statements considering your obsession with facts.

The Leica S/S2 hasn't reinvented MFD, but for me it has filled a void between two professional formats. Lenses, weather sealing, write speeds (really important for fashion), ergonomics, and simplicity.

Last edited:

Shashin

Shashin, there's little credence in highly subjective statements considering your obsession with facts.

The Leica S/S2 hasn't reinvented MFD, but for me it has filled a void between two professional formats. Lenses, weather sealing, write speeds (really important for fashion), ergonomics, and simplicity.
So, I can't make subjective statements, but you can? And you can interpolate your single experience and opinion as a trend?

But I have no problem with the S. As far as this camera fitting a business model, it is a rarefied part of the business that can invest $40k+ in one camera. And the Pentax 645D offers a great tool for the professional as well, but for a lot less.

So, when are you buying the S?

fotografz

For me the article rings true ... even though it is a pure marketing piece, the information directly lines up with my MFD experiences. I have now moved from a very long time association with Hasselblad to the S system. No need to go over all the attributes of the S system, other's have mentioned them already.

I do not care whether debatable figures were quoted, as long as Leica is successful with the system in order to continue development ... that's all that matters.

I currently have four CS lenses acquired via their swap-up program ... so after 3 years of use, all my lenses are brand new leaf shutter versions for a comparatively nominal price. I have the fifth S lens on order: 24mm, and the Elpo for the CS-180. The lens set is simply the best I've experienced especially wide open.

RE: T/S. For me, the interim assist in making the transition from H to S was Leica's H to S adapter ... which, BTW allows use of the HTS/1.5 and HCD24mm to provide a 36mm T/S solution while one waits for Leica's S T/S version. I have no need for that and would rent if I did, but did keep the HTS/1.5 and HC100/2.2 lens (150mm macro ability) for table top work with flash sync to 1/750 ... or more importantly selective focus portrait work using the S2 focal plane shutter option.

I wrote about the HTS/1.5 with demo pics here:

S2 and HTS/1.5

To date, S service has been the best of any camera company I've used. Most recent was a dead pixel, which with CCDs causes a thin line from the pixel location to the edge. Dealt with Kelsey Fain of Leica USA, sent a DNG black frame, Leica Germany remapped, send me two base firmware files the next day, then reloaded the latest camera firmware. Problem solved in time for my next job.

I do not miss much from the H system except the True Focus feature which is simply the best AF feature I've used on any camera.

-Marc

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Rob...I've got it. I misunderstood Marc's comment.
I haven't had the Leica S yet but have been very interested in this system lately.

Thanks
Pramote

fotografz

Hi Marc,

How does the "swap-up program" work? I am very interested in learning more about this.

Thanks,
Pramote
Unfortunately, too late.

Leica instituted the trade to CS lenses early on because the CS lenses were not ready, and wouldn't be for some time. To avoid stunting sales of the S2 in the interim, they promised to allow early adopters to trade their S (focal plane) lenses for CS (leaf shutter) versions when they became available. The customer need only pay the new price difference between the two to get new CS lenses. There was a cut off date where you had to have purchased the S lenses to qualify for the upgrade.

The promotion worked in my case, since leaf shutter lenses are important to me, and I would not have bought into the S system nor bought all the lenses had it not been dual shutter, and I could get the CS lenses later. As soon as I got the Leica CS lenses I sold my leaf shutter Hasselblad H.

-Marc

KeithL

Now, if only those central shutters could be used instead of the focal plane shutter rather than in combination with it...