The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital to transparency

Shashin

It is possible. You use a film recorder, although I am not sure what film recorder would be up to the task and who would have them--I am not thinking there is a great demand for this.

I guess the question would be why?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Absolutely.

There used to be a vibrant market for film recorders. Not so much anymore, but still a few out there. We recently installed a digital back at BOX in NYC; they have a film recorder they are still actively using for the small but high-end niche that wants that kind of service.

As to why: one reason is so that you can use traditional processes with a digitally captured image (or a film image scanned, manipulated digitally). Some people also view film as a better long term archiving option (I disagree, but I understand the appeal/argument) but that's neither here nor there.

I did a good amount of cyanotype printing from digital files in Miami and Australia. Not so much since I moved to the northeast. That process doesn't require a lot of resolution in the transparent medium so I just printed on acetate.
Doug Peterson, Wedding Photography

Shashin

Doug, I was really wondering why Dan wanted to convert the image to film. I understand there are reasons for it.

danlindberg

Thanks Doug. That was great info!

Shashin, The simple answer is - I'm not sure why I would want it! The thought came about when I read an article about a couple renovating there old house in Lund, Sweden. Ripping out the wooden floor in the attic revealed thousands of hidden photographs on glas. Later known to be shot between 1885-1910. They were in excellent condition and are now part of a large photography collection at the Museum of Lund.
Imagine finding a 100 year old USB stick with Tiff files. Who could read those at that new day and age?

Also I must admit that just to handle a good 4x5 transparency beats looking at a screen.....

Now atleast I know it is possible :)

Shashin

Dan, if you are thinking of archiving, do not leave your files on a USB stick. However, TIFF will be good.

This archiving issue is really important. But it is one that you find out about when it does not work.

torger

Converting to 4x5" slide film and then use a 4x5" slide projector to present your images would show a high res image on the wall unlike any digital projector can do? That could be one use. It's also really delightful just looking at slides on the light table.

Lars

If you are considering hybrid processes where a print is the final output, a larger transparency and contact printing is a lot easier to work with. No need for a film recorder, just print on clear film using an inkjet printer.

Shashin

It would have been great if we could have made dye-transfer matrices with an ink-jet technology.

corposant

Doug, I was really wondering why Dan wanted to convert the image to film. I understand there are reasons for it.
I was at the Paris Photo exhibition (in LA) a couple weeks ago and a few photographers used this as their presentation medium (mounted on top of an LED panel).

Shashin

I was at the Paris Photo exhibition (in LA) a couple weeks ago and a few photographers used this as their presentation medium (mounted on top of an LED panel).
If this was Dan's use, then I would suggested he use transparency display material and he would not have been limited to 4x5.

Lars

I've used Pictorico for some hybrid prints. First C/M/Y on the inkjet, then a contact print from a neg printed on Picorico (platinum process). There's plenty of material out there on how to do it. Results range from "fun" to interesting to artistic.